The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Bluechevy68

'71 Cheyenne Super Question

Would a factory '71 Cheyenne super had rear leaf springs? Thanks in advance.

Also, there may have been different packages but does anyone know what it would have had? such as A/C, etc.?

Last edited by Bluechevy68; 01-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Bluechevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
bruceman1968

Re: '71 Cheyenne Super Question

Blue, Coils came standard but leafs could be ordered as a option from the factory. If the leafs came from the factory they will be listed on the SPID (option sticker on inside of glovebox door)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Bluechevy68

According to the owner the spid is no longer there. From the pics it also looks like someone cut the radio hole to install a cd player. I have my doubts it is an orginial cheyenne super but probably a restored truck with the cheyenne trim.

Is there anyway the spid can be trased based off of the vin #?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechevy68 View Post
According to the owner the spid is no longer there. From the pics it also looks like someone cut the radio hole to install a cd player. I have my doubts it is an orginial cheyenne super but probably a restored truck with the cheyenne trim.

Is there anyway the spid can be trased based off of the vin #?
I don't think so, GM didn't seem to keep the same kind of records for the truck lines as they did for cars. Others may have more info than I do though.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
tobytuttle

x2 for bruce..... I also think it was gmc was a leaf spring standard, and for the chevys it was a option. "One" of our older owned 72 chevy's was a leaf springer
76 454 Dually 2x
75 454 K5
77 468 Kona

Last edited by tobytuttle; 01-04-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: text
tobytuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Bluechevy68

Would that package came with A/C? The truck that I am asking about does not have the A/C vents in the cab. I am leaning toward this was a really cool restore to the owners liking but not a factory super. Although, the current owner said that the truck has been in and out of his family for the past 40+ years. But, you know how that goes....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
jocko

Hi Blue - I think the big question is whether you are willing to live with "not knowing".

With no SPID or build sheet, it should not be sold as a Super - unless the owner is up front and states "we just added the Super trim level because we liked it" - and there is nothing wrong with that. Having said that, the high prices real Supers fetch has brought about a wave of "oops I accidentally removed the SPID" restorations.

Cheyenne Super was a single RPO and would be listed on a SPID as YE9. As noted above, had nothing to do with A/C or leaf springs - separate options.

Cheyenne Super YE9 RPO would net you the following (also note that in 71, Supers were a mid-year intorduction, so they are not real common:
- Super emblem (normally LEFT justified under the "C" in Cheyenne) on the fenders
- Woodgrain instrument panel
- Woodgrain glovebox w/aluminum underlay insert (and Cheyenne Super emblem on the gb)
- Woodgrain lower belt molding (also on the Cheyenne non-Supers, so not a distinguishing feature)
- Woodgrain interior door panels (also on the Cheyenne non-Supers, so not a distinguishing feature)
- Woodgrain tailgate panel (also on the Cheyenne non-Supers, so not a distinguishing feature)
- stainless upper body molding (standard on Super, an option on other models)
- One of the 3 houndstooth seat covers: parchment, olive, or blue (black never came in houndstooth) or, if buckets were ordered - they were always in vinyl (houndstooth never available in buckets)
- in a 71 - Chrome tailgate handle
- in a 72 - bright tailgate handle cover
- Chrome hub caps standard (PO3's standard, the full wheel covers were still an option)

Some of the dead giveaways of a fake are the tailgate handle and the Super emblem location. In your case, a 71, handle should be chrome. The 'Super' should be left justified, but I'll be the first to admit, this seems to be a touchy, and somewhat unproven assumption. A missing headliner is usually a sign it was not even a Cheyenne to begin with. Note many of the items folks think are Super only were also on the Cheyenne.

Hope that helps. Bottom line, if you like the truck and are ok with not knowing what it "was" - and the price is not a Super-level price, then go for it. But if you really want to know - I'd walk away unless seller can provide proof. My 71 Super has A/C and leafs - both separate options called out on the SPID. And, annoyingly enough, no Cheyenne OR Super emblems because they are superseded by the Custom Camper nameplate on the fender (71 only, 72 put the Custom Camper nampeplate on the doors, like GMCs always did).

Last edited by jocko; 01-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
SS Tim

A Super is really just a trim package. There are a number of key features to look for to confirm as a "possible". Without a SPID and/or a build sheet it is hard to say for sure if it is a Cheyenne Super. However it was possible to have a stripper truck with no options other than the Cheyenne Super trim. Even a stepside or chassis cab could be so ordered. As a '71 the probability goes way down being the RPO YE9 was a very late introduction on the '71 trucks. Here the blue driver's door sticker could give you a hint as they started in 04/71.

The details are what are going to make a difference and without good pictures or an inspection by you we can't do a lot to confirm it for you.

Sounds like you need to do more pre-buy research and the board has a lot of threads/posts on the subject. Read up what people are posting here as we have a lot of good information. But when it comes down to price, if you can't confirm it, it is likely an added option and probably not correct.

Below is the order book information Bruceman1968 was talking about to save a trip. The factory brochure does not include the Cheyenne Super trim as it was such a late introduction but there was a stand alone for it that you might find on eBay. Jocko's information is right on and a good reference in itself. He has '71 Super we looked long and hard for.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
jocko

here's the mid-year Cheyenne Super introduction brochure for 71:
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Bluechevy68

Ok I was finally able to upload some pics. I am leaning toward a "clone" truck. Unless someone did not want to put the interior back to match (which I doubt).
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Bluechevy68

more...
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
SuperC10Tex

I say Clone....Nice truck, what is he asking for it?
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Isn't the GVWR different on Supers?

*edit*

Disregard. What I was thinking about pertained to BB trucks. Link

Last edited by Zoomin; 01-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Does it have a headliner in it, or the holes where one used to be? Not conclusive, as it was available as an option but it was included with the Super package. That's a point most cloners want to trouble with.

The Super emblems aren't the located correctly on the front fenders, no tailgate handle cover, and color choices for houndstooth were parchment, blue or olive.

I even doubt it's a genuine SWB truck. A pic of the door trim would answer that.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Gene

Could have been a cab replacement also. If this were the case the missing a/c the missing headliner and spid could account for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Bluechevy68

so what do u guys think of the price as it sits? my best guess is it isn't factory
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

If it was real, he'd be asking close to twice that. IMO, the engine compartment resto is just horr... Well, let just say it needs work. I wouldn't consider buying it until a competent body man can tell you how many tons of bondo is in it.

Go to ebay and see how trucks listed with a Buy It Now price of $10,000 or less compare.
Posted via Mobile Device