The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
DBear

Looking for any opinions??

I think I have narrowed my choices down....I have a chance to pick up an Air Force '87 Chevy Crew cab 4x4. This thing has about 15k original miles documented. It was equipped with sbc 350, 350 trans, and I am guessing 4:10 gears. It was a military model, so there aren't many thrills or frills on this rig. The body is really good, with some minor dings. The bed would be something other than desirable. Not worried about the bed because I will one day make it a short bed. But other than the rotted dash top....which I probably have one to replace it with, everything is pretty dang good for that old of a truck. It would surely be the lowest mileage old truck I have ever found.

With what I said, and I don't have pics yet, what would be the value of something of this condition and mileage? He is asking 5,000.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Tommy
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
okndnx

Re: Looking for any opinions??

value is what your willing to give for it
okndnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Hope it works out for you to get it. Would love to see pics of it. Value is hard to say, around here it would probably be 3500-4500 or up depending on condition.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Hope it works out for you to get it. Would love to see pics of it. Value is hard to say, around here it would probably be 3500-4500 or up depending on condition.
I will get pics soon. Thanks for the input. I hope to pick it up for about 4K.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That sounds a little steep to me. I would look at this instead: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3337289061.html . It's not mine, but caught my eye.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Military trucks go for more $$ than stock trucks but dont be fooled by mileage low mileage leaves more for the motor to have dried gaskets etc.. I just bought a 1986 CUCV which is an Army truck. It had double the mileage as yours and it is a 4WD 5/4 ton with the bulletproof transfer case and the rears that are most sought after. It is also the diesel motor. I paid less than half for that of what your guy is asking.I am , however putting some money into it to get it running and looking good.. My truck has a small amount of rot in the cab corner, the front fenders and inner fenders were bad, the batteries were dead , I had to replace a tie rod end and the card for the glow plug controller so if I dont tabulate the cost of my labor ive prolly got almost $1000 into it already.. Ive also arranged to have the seat recovered and im getting a new dash pad for it as mine are shot.
I have found nothing that can take the beatings of the guys who work for me like these old chevy trucks so i keep buying them as work horses
As to the truck you are looking at,, without pics hard to say but i dont think id go more than $2000 for a gas powered truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
dieseldawg142

Thumbs up Re: Looking for any opinions??

i have 3 rules when buying a truck. #1 take wife, her judgement of that rust is more realistic then my couple little pieces of metal. #2 don't pay asking price. #3 if it's your life long dream truck- disregard rules 1 & 2.
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
i have 3 rules when buying a truck. #1 take wife, her judgement of that rust is more realistic then my couple little pieces of metal. #2 don't pay asking price. #3 if it's your life long dream truck- disregard rules 1 & 2.
Diesel dawg....that is great philosiphy to go by buying a truck.. I hope to follow #2, and #3 is true about this truck. Thanks for the input bud.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
meter swinger

I picked up an 88 CCDRW with 34K on the clock for 3.5G. theyre scrap metal basically where I live but Its money well spent for me. If you can get them down on the $$$ that would be nice, but if have the cash, and thats what you want who cares.
The truck you describe would be really nice with a cummins and an alunimum flatbed.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

seems high for down south.....maybe up here? depends on wear/rust
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Military trucks go for more $$ than stock trucks but dont be fooled by mileage low mileage leaves more for the motor to have dried gaskets etc.. I just bought a 1986 CUCV which is an Army truck. It had double the mileage as yours and it is a 4WD 5/4 ton with the bulletproof transfer case and the rears that are most sought after. It is also the diesel motor. I paid less than half for that of what your guy is asking.I am , however putting some money into it to get it running and looking good.. My truck has a small amount of rot in the cab corner, the front fenders and inner fenders were bad, the batteries were dead , I had to replace a tie rod end and the card for the glow plug controller so if I dont tabulate the cost of my labor ive prolly got almost $1000 into it already.. Ive also arranged to have the seat recovered and im getting a new dash pad for it as mine are shot.
I have found nothing that can take the beatings of the guys who work for me like these old chevy trucks so i keep buying them as work horses
As to the truck you are looking at,, without pics hard to say but i dont think id go more than $2000 for a gas powered truck
Well....I see you point, but we are not really comparing apples to apples here.

The truck I am looking at is a Crew Cab. Yes it does just have a sbc 350, but that is not why I am considering the truck. I have a spare Cumming 12v with about 120,000 miles on it that will eventually be swapped in it.

The transfer case is the same one in your single cab...NP205.

You do have the more desired axles, but I am not building a super wheeler or crawler. Those axles you have are surely heavier.

As for the miles....I look at it as 15,000 on the entire truck, not really the motor since I have no desire to keep it in the truck for the long haul.

I do understand you got yours for about half the cost, but down here and on most Government surplus sites, there are usually about 25 to 30 of the trucks that you have, and you rarely find a Gov. crew cab for sale, at least where I have been looking...and I have been looking for a few years off and on. I love the single cab truck you got, but I want more room. I actually took a 6.2 out of the exact version of the truck you have and swapped it in my 71 4x4 Burb. The truck I am looking at is running and driving, but I will eventually go with my 12V Cummina.

Thanks again for your input because I can appreciate another truck guy's opinion. Good luck on getting you truck up and running.