The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
87 chevy man

3/4 drop question

just purchased 3 inch belltech drop spindles and also shackles and hanger kit for 4 inch drop for the back, are spindles, shackles and hangers hard to install, do they just replace old parts or is there any cutting, etc.. is this something some one could do at home with out a whole lot of trouble? I have done work before on cars not trucks and has been a long time. any info will help thanks
87 chevy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: 3/4 drop question

The job should be something you can do at home. You'll need a floor jack, wrenches, sockets, and a good sized hammer. You might need to do some grinding, and you'll need a chisel or grinder and a punch to remove the rivets on the hangers.

The 3 inch spindles might give you some trouble if you have 15 inch wheels. I am told that the lip of the control arm and/or the caliper might need some grinding. I used 2.5 inch spindles to avoid the problem.

I have not done shackles and hangers (I used 4 inch drop leaves), but it should be something you can do at home. You will need a grinder or a hammer and chisel to cut the rivets. I have been told it is easiest to do if you pull the bed off, but that it can be done with the bed on.

There are some instructions on removing coil springs and stuff on 73-87.com that you might find helpful. It involves removing the u bolts from the LCAs (lower control arms). I (and others) have posted an alternative way to pull the springs/spindles by busting the balljoints loose with a hammer. You should be able to find it using the search. PM me if you can't.

This is a good time to replace any worn suspnsion parts while you are at it.

Slonaker
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I have not done shackles and hangers (I used 4 inch drop leaves)
Where did you buy the drop leaves?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Where did you buy the drop leaves?
http://www.performancesuspension.com/trucklowering.htm

Slonaker
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
87 chevy man

i am riding on 20 inch wheels. So should not have a problem. I Hope not, just trying to save money i could use for something else for my truck but if i have to will get some one to install them for me.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 AM   #6
JAMESCHURCH13
JamesChurch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 chevy man
i am riding on 20 inch wheels. So should not have a problem. I Hope not, just trying to save money i could use for something else for my truck but if i have to will get some one to install them for me.
You can do it bro! If they let me work on air planes then the fact that you can use a computer means you can change a spindle on a truck... Good luck and post a beginers how to. Peace.

Current vehicle collection:
1968 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleet Side, 327ci, TH350 (MD)
1987 Chevy Dually Quad Cab, 427ci, TH400
2008 Buell XB12SS, 1203cc
2006 YZ450F Wheelie Machine!
1997 Suzuki Bandit 600cc
And the Wife has some cars I pay insurance on and use to transport the kids!(01' Grand Cherokee and 06' Pontiac Grand Prix)
JAMESCHURCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You should be able to handle it. Spindles can be tough getting the old ones to release from the ball joints. A small sledge can be useful there.
Shackles are easy, but hangers can be tough. Getting the rivets off without air tools is a lesson in frustration.

Ask more questions, and we will walk you through it...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
You should be able to handle it. Spindles can be tough getting the old ones to release from the ball joints. A small sledge can be useful there.
Shackles are easy, but hangers can be tough. Getting the rivets off without air tools is a lesson in frustration.

Ask more questions, and we will walk you through it...
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you will have to notch the bed support to make room for the springs/shackles. Look at the small amount of space between the shackle and the bed support above it right now and you will see why.

Slonaker
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

This may help answer some of your questions

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...n/belltech.htm

http://classictrucks.com/tech/0503cl_bell/

Welcome to the forum, let us know if you have any more questions.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
87 chevy man

I got the spindles, and billet stuff for my dash and doors from truckperformance.com and the shackles and hangers from summitracing.com. I got about 8 items and some big items and got free shipping from truckperformance.com but i ordered my drop kit for the back from summitracing and only ran me like 9.99 shipping for that and the billet grill for the front. Will post pictures of my truck as soon as I get everything on and ready , still having interior redone next week,windows tinted, etc...thanks for the info.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 AM   #11
BigDan3131

You need spring compressor to remove the springs, doing it any other way can seriously injure you or someone around you. Since your doing drop spindles anyway you might think about replacing your suspension bushings with poly graphite ones along with new ball joints and tierods. It might cost a bit more but you wont have to do it again for another 20 years.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan3131
You need spring compressor to remove the springs, doing it any other way can seriously injure you or someone around you. Since your doing drop spindles anyway you might think about replacing your suspension bushings with poly graphite ones along with new ball joints and tierods. It might cost a bit more but you wont have to do it again for another 20 years.
While using a spring compressor is the proper method, removing and reinstalling the spring can be done safely (IMO) with a floor jack if you take the time to secure the spring to the truck with a length of chain. This will make sure that it does not pop out and hurt/maim/kill you.

Common sense is as important as a spring compressor when working with suspension parts. I always operate the floor jack from in front of the truck when doing this to make sure that there is some sheetmetal between me and the spring.

I do agree that it is a good time to replace any worn out suspension parts, as I already said above, but I would not automatically recommend the polygraphite ones. Good quality rubber bushings are worth considering on a truck since the polygraphite ones will harshen the ride on something that never rode very well to begin with. I chose to replace everything in the front end of my truck with Moog rubber parts, and I have no regrets.

Slonaker
Old 06-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Thanks for the link, Slonaker, that shop is local for me, I'll check it out (I forgot they were there ). I need 56" springs, and Sport Truck Direct (also local) told me they were backordered for a while...
Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Thanks for the link, Slonaker, that shop is local for me, I'll check it out (I forgot they were there ). I need 56" springs, and Sport Truck Direct (also local) told me they were backordered for a while...
I bought from them after Sport Truck Direct blew me off. I emailed them three times with questions, using an addrress they provided on their site, and they never responded. The folks i bought from had a toll free number. They answered my questions on the spot, and I ordered from them the next day.

Slonaker
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
87 chevy man

so far no trouble, I was given conformation email with tracking numbers to track my order from summitracing and truckperformance.com so they seem to do a good job getting there stuff out and they have good reviews.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 chevy man
so far no trouble, I was given conformation email with tracking numbers to track my order from summitracing and truckperformance.com so they seem to do a good job getting there stuff out and they have good reviews.
I have had very good service from Summit. I even ordered my engine from them with no problems.

Let us know if you have questions if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Slonaker
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
chevyfan420

Always chain off the spring until your positive all the tension is out of it. Use an impact gun to take the ball joints apart. If you use a breaker bar instead, the stud in the ball joint might turn and then you have a problem. Take the nut off, then put it back on a couple threads and give it a smack with a hammer! If your spindle didnt come with ball joints, nows the time to get new ones too. As for the back, I used a torch to cut the heads of the rivets then knocked them out with the air chisel. Also, instead of using the 3/8 bolts that came with my shackle and hanger, I drilled them out to 7/16 and used a grade 8 fine thread bolt with a lock nut. But always chain that spring...even if your using a spring compressor. We dont need to lose any Chevy fans!!

86 Chevy 1/2 ton shorty project truck

79 Chevy 1/2ton 350/350turbo
not much to look at... ***Retired***

97 Chevy C1500 4.3/5 speed.....daily driver
chevyfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote