The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Square84
I don't think these pills work

Unhappy the noise is driving me crazy

ok i am in need of help bad my truck is drivin me nuts. a while back the truck started making this weird ticking noise. everyone that listened to it said the same thing the flywheel is cracked. even had a transmission shop tell me it sounded like the flywheel was cracked. ok so like the anal retentive person that i am i decide to pull the truck apart and fix everything. replaced the flywheel and put all new seals in the tranny and new fluid and filter. pulled the motor repaced timing chain, harmonic balancer, all seals and gaskets, new oil pump, new distributer(accel), all new vacuum lines, new brake check valve and filter, new fuel lines, fuel filter, put a k&n air filter, and new pcv valve. also replaced to bent pushrods and the rocker arms for those pushrods. put new header gaskets on checked and double checked the gaskets. the collecters have been welded to the pipes. the noise is still there it only does it under mild to heavy acceleration and it sounds like when you shake the pcv valve only louder? i use mid grade gas and am running an edelbrock 600cfm carb. ther is no smog on the truck and it is a 305. so if any one has any ideas please im open to them all? sorry so long.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: the noise is driving me crazy

Did you replace the fuel pump? If there is any wear in the pump actuating arm, It can make a ticking or knocking noise---been ther done that.

Also, if you did NOT put in a heavy duty SFI rated flexplate, the ballooning of the torque converter can make your flexplate move forward and allow it to scrape against the starter drive gear and make a noise that sounds like a ticking or rasping effect---Been there and also done that and it took me awhile to figure out what was doing it. This is especially noted when you accelerate or let off of the fuel and start coasting down on the road.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
impalamark

only happens under acceleration -sounds like detonation to me
MARK

Last edited by impalamark; 09-14-2008 at 10:32 AM.
impalamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Check the "U" joints? I just replaced one, same noise. Look for some "rust dust" around or on the joint.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Square84

ok fuel pump is new but rod is not. flywheel came from gm dealer so i would like to beleive its a good one( because what kinda world would this be if you couldn't trust the dealership).and the u joints are all new and the shaft has been balanced. i also noticed today that it has never done it sitting still only in drive, but today if i pop the throttle it makes the noise and there is a misfire at 2000 rpm. thanks for the help you guys, im interested in the detonation what would cause it? use mid grade gas and the heads have been redone?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Just a thought, check your engine mounts, too.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Square84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Just a thought, check your engine mounts, too.
sorry i forgot they and the trans mount are brand new. pretty much with the exception of the cab and bed every thing is new or nearly new. if i had full coverage i would just light a match.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Once again, the STOCK flexplate will make some noise, if the converter is ballooning and making it hit the starter. That is why I said to use a heavy duty SFI rated flexplate. It could be detonation, but that depends on if the heads had been shaved and the compression raio changed significantly. I personally will stick with the flexplate from what you have told us (especially when you have to have the truck in "Drive" to make it do it). Just a thought.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
pos86
FoodStampCustoms

my centercap did that tightened it up and the noise went away
pos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Square84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos86 View Post
my centercap did that tightened it up and the noise went away
sorry i dont have caps on it right now or rings. i work in wichita falls, is the blue truck in your profile yours?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Square84

finally got the noise fixed the truck was way out of time. put a timing light on it and presto chango the truck came alive! WHOOO HOOO!!