The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
68_Step

Question 78 Chevy K30 Dually Brake Job

As mentioned in another thread, I am starting a complete brake job on a 78 Chevy K30. I have one of the drums off and have a couple questions before I go any further. In the picture below it looks the brake drum assembly I removed is two separate pieces - one the drum and the other "whatever you call what the axel shaft bolts to". The questions:

Do the wheel studs hold both parts together?

How do I get them apart?

How do I get the bearings out? Looks like I take out the seal at the back?

Thanks!
Attached Images

68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
ToughBowtieTruck

Re: 78 Chevy K30 Dually Brake Job

Yep. Knock the studs out and the drum will come off of the hub.

Yes also, the seal comes out to get the inner bearing out.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
68_Step

Thanks Josh - I will give that a try today. The snow is gone and we are having a 50 degree day!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
68_Step

Studs came out like a charm!

How do I reinstall the new ones? I have read about 2 different methods of putting them back in. (1) Press fit / punch them in from the back, or (2) pull them through using a nut. This is a dual wheel K30.

Which way would be best? Or is there another option for putting them in?

Another question: Am I pressing/pulling/hammering them through the brake drum AND the wheel hub? Or do they just slip through one or the other?

Thanks!

PS: I have the parts on hand, picked them up today. With any luck at all I will get to put it back together tomorrow and Sunday.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
ToughBowtieTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_Step View Post
Studs came out like a charm!

How do I reinstall the new ones? I have read about 2 different methods of putting them back in. (1) Press fit / punch them in from the back, or (2) pull them through using a nut. This is a dual wheel K30.

Which way would be best? Or is there another option for putting them in?

Another question: Am I pressing/pulling/hammering them through the brake drum AND the wheel hub? Or do they just slip through one or the other?
I have pulled them with the nuts. If I remember the studs actually have rivet lines that only rivet to the hub, they are smooth between the hub and drum, as they just act like a bolt pulling the drum tight against the hub. The rivets of course, are to keep the studs from turning and to ensure a tight alignment to the hub.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

maby heres something you can hammer them through just look at the disk as the drum insted

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 01-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Dooley Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_Step View Post
As mentioned in another thread, I am starting a complete brake job on a 78 Chevy K30. I have one of the drums off and have a couple questions before I go any further. In the picture below it looks the brake drum assembly I removed is two separate pieces - one the drum and the other "whatever you call what the axel shaft bolts to". The questions:

Do the wheel studs hold both parts together?

How do I get them apart?

How do I get the bearings out? Looks like I take out the seal at the back?

Thanks!
That looks a lot like the rear hub/drum on my '85 C-30 Dooley. I pulled it last year to replace a leaking wheel cylinder and put new shoes on. I didn't need to separate the hub from the drum but I did install new bearings and races. I used a piece of copper pipe and a BFH to get the races out. The copper pipe won't scar the hub like a steel drift can. I'm sure others may have a better way, but it worked for me!

I would use a nut to pull the new studs in.
Dooley Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Just be super careful with the hub where the axle shaft bolts to it. Sometimes it's too easy to make one leak.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
68_Step

Looks like I will try the "pull in with a nut" method. But I will have to wait until Tuesday to get the correct parts...

Another question: How do I get the outer wheel bearing out? I have already removed oil seal from the other end, the inner wheel bearing, and the large retaining ring/clip that is right behind the outer bearing. Do I a use a drift punch and knock it out? This is the bearing I am talking about:
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
68_Step

Any idea how that bearing comes out? Photo above.

John
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Wade2ride

You probably have it all together now. ... But to get that bearing out you First remove the seal on the back, then take out the bearing. Then you have to remove a lock ring, on the inside of the hub. Once you do that, you just knock out the other bearing. But BE WARE!!! a sleeve that holds the 2nd bearing in WILL come out with the bearing. And it's a pain to get that sleeve back in there. I just broke a 32oz. Craftsman Hammer with a Hickory handle trying to get mine back in.

There's no point in buying new.

1977 K20, Full time 4x4 (Engine Blown/Project)
1985 Buick LeSabre
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2003 CBR 600RR

Last edited by Wade2ride; 02-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Wade2ride is offline   Reply With Quote