The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Offenhauser manifold find

While talking to a buddy the other day, we got on the subject of sbc motors.
Quickly it turned into him telling me about a 283 he had bagged up in the garage. After some cutting of plastic wrap and a quick turning on of a flashlight. I noticed it had an Offenhauser intake manifold. He's willing to let the motor go for what he paid for it 15 years ago, which is $200.
I don't have alot of room currently, but i'm thinking a deal like this is too good to pass up. Apparently it's got a mild cam and .040 over pistons. It's pretty complete minus valve covers a carb and pulleys. Any suggestions?
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Offenhauser manifold find

I traded off a '67 275horse 327 for less than that and it had been hot tanked, new cam bearings, mains miked, new oil gallery plugs, good double-hump heads and all the accessories. Wish I had it back. It was a 60K mile block, with no ring groove.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a buddy that bought his 69 Camaro convertible brand new. Someone had ordered it up special and then changed their mind, so my friend picked it up at a little better price than he normally would have gotten.

It came with the cross ram set up on it. He said it ran like crap so he took it off almost right away. He still has the manifold, carbs and air cleaner set up all tucked away neatly in his attic.
Wonder if he would take 200 bucks for it if I asked him nicely?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have a buddy that bought his 69 Camaro convertible brand new. Someone had ordered it up special and then changed their mind, so my friend picked it up at a little better price than he normally would have gotten.

It came with the cross ram set up on it. He said it ran like crap so he took it off almost right away. He still has the manifold, carbs and air cleaner set up all tucked away neatly in his attic.
Yeah, you do that
Then I'll give you $250

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

These are (were) worth some change, but GM just decided to rerelease these (a year or so ago). The market went down on them and so did the price, granted the OE ones are "original" the repops look just like them and work. So your buddies is a numbers matching piece for a resto nut, but the repop is qite a bit less and looks right. I'd guess It's worth $4-800 depending on how bad someone wanted it (just the intake), again they used to bring $1,000 up to $2500 as a complete deal. I want one just for the $****s and grins of having it under the hood!! On a street driven or even DD vehicle they would run crappy, because they were designed in the stone ages, but for race applications only, if it (any part, intake, spoiler, etc) was going to make it onto a race car in the Trans Am series, it had to be offered on a production car (as an option, or standard equipment). So the cross ram was supposed to be for high RPMs being sustained (302 rapped up there, too 7k rpm and above!), bbut not for stop light to stop light. With todays carbs and linkages etc, that set up would probably work pretty good. Just think a pair of 500 cfm demons!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
These are (were) worth some change, but GM just decided to rerelease these (a year or so ago). The market went down on them and so did the price, granted the OE ones are "original" the repops look just like them and work. So your buddies is a numbers matching piece for a resto nut, but the repop is qite a bit less and looks right. I'd guess It's worth $4-800 depending on how bad someone wanted it (just the intake), again they used to bring $1,000 up to $2500 as a complete deal. I want one just for the $****s and grins of having it under the hood!! On a street driven or even DD vehicle they would run crappy, because they were designed in the stone ages, but for race applications only, if it (any part, intake, spoiler, etc) was going to make it onto a race car in the Trans Am series, it had to be offered on a production car (as an option, or standard equipment). So the cross ram was supposed to be for high RPMs being sustained (302 rapped up there, too 7k rpm and above!), bbut not for stop light to stop light. With todays carbs and linkages etc, that set up would probably work pretty good. Just think a pair of 500 cfm demons!!
It's funny you mention. I'm soon starting a 43' Ford rat truck project and i'm looking for an older v8 to use. Plans are to blow the hell outta the motor. I'd feel kinda bad pulling apart the numbers and what not. I was pondering on a charged 283, but i'm thinking i could always take the 327 route. This project is hopefully going to be a several year process built from scratch, piece by piece with parts from only buddies and swap meets. With gas prices being the way they are, i'm starting to think of using an old 33' or 34' Model B 4 banger might be the way to go. That'd be a fun project. Look at how cool these can look.

[IMG][/IMG]

I even have a spare air cooled flat six that would be a crazy project. Just thinking of an air cooled 43'......... Weird.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 07-21-2008 at 07:03 PM.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
fine69

What type of manifold? Just because its older and an Offenhauser doenst mean its worth that much.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

snatch that thing up NOW!!

a 283 is cooler than 2 chicks kissin'

(sorry LHM, I like that line)
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
70rs/ss

Man, do it! I have crazy ideas of a turbo'd L6, not ratrod or ole school just what I want to try! The offy on that 283 could be rare, but most likely an old design that has been improved upon or replaced, but a for the look an older intake is cool as long as it works.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote