The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Bucket Seats...need ideas....what have you done?

I have an 86 Choo Choo Custom Dually that came with buckets....Need to replace them due to the frames being completely bent and twisted.....I just bought a set of buckets out of a 2000 Silverado but these things are way too tall....glad they were cheap. Any pics and ideas of what you have used or what you did?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
slotard

Re: Bucket Seats...need ideas....what have you done?

Are you looking to do stock-ish buckets or do you want something more supportive? Some of the buckets are almost like bench seats, I'm trying to find something to hold me a little better.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Not really sure....or care at this point.....just looking for ideas....
Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
3drburb

Check out Procar bucket seats, Summit Racing sell them.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
mattybilt79

If your looking to stay on the cheap side..... The 88 suburban I had for 4 years had a pair of dodge neon seats in the front. They were in when I got it and whoever put them in did a decent job so I rolled with them the whole time I had it. They held up good too I have to say although not the most comfortable seats did many 10 hour road trips without needing back surgery afterward.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

I am ultimately going with Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats because they are compact and have integral seat belts (can't wait to get rid of my clunky GM don't know if they work belts.) They are not very big, but fabricating seat mounts might raise them up a little.

I measure them at:

12" high seat bottom (from bottom of existing front mounting bracket, could be less when installed)
22" wide seat bottom
24" overall depth (from front edge of seat bottom to back of headrest in more or less upright position, which is how I use my seats.)
39" high seat back (from bottom of existing rear mount bracket to top of headrest.)

Floor to ceiling space in our squares is about 42-43", but the headrests are small so I don't think it will present an "oversized" look.

Width of existing square bench seat is about 60", so 22" x 2 = 44" wide, which leaves 16" for a console (I might mod the Sebring console - it is very nice and compact, but I could mount it to a larger custom base. I have a floor shifter granny 4 speed so I have special needs.)

2001 and up Chrysler Sebring convertible seats do not have an interlock with the ignition like the 2000 and earlier models, so the 2001 an up cars have seat belts that will work without any safety control module - just yank on them and the inertia feature locks up the belts.

I like the 1999 and up Silverado/Sierra seats with integral belts but they are just too big and too high for our old squares. The Sebring seats are much more compact. Plus, all of the Sebring seats I looked at have six way power adjustment with manual lumbar - any all of the ones I checked worked fine.

I have a set and am getting another set for future use and/or backup parts. they are leather and will need some minor upholstery repair.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

my 88 conversion seats broke on me too
swapped in 89 stock buckets,since bolted them up to the 78 Jimmy bases
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
my 88 conversion seats broke on me too
swapped in 89 stock buckets,since bolted them up to the 78 Jimmy bases
Do you feel like you're sitting kind of low on those 89 buckets?
dustykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I am ultimately going with Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats because they are compact and have integral seat belts (can't wait to get rid of my clunky GM don't know if they work belts.) They are not very big, but fabricating seat mounts might raise them up a little.

I measure them at:

12" high seat bottom (from bottom of existing front mounting bracket, could be less when installed)
22" wide seat bottom
24" overall depth (from front edge of seat bottom to back of headrest in more or less upright position, which is how I use my seats.)
39" high seat back (from bottom of existing rear mount bracket to top of headrest.)

Floor to ceiling space in our squares is about 42-43", but the headrests are small so I don't think it will present an "oversized" look.

Width of existing square bench seat is about 60", so 22" x 2 = 44" wide, which leaves 16" for a console (I might mod the Sebring console - it is very nice and compact, but I could mount it to a larger custom base. I have a floor shifter granny 4 speed so I have special needs.)

2001 and up Chrysler Sebring convertible seats do not have an interlock with the ignition like the 2000 and earlier models, so the 2001 an up cars have seat belts that will work without any safety control module - just yank on them and the inertia feature locks up the belts.

I like the 1999 and up Silverado/Sierra seats with integral belts but they are just too big and too high for our old squares. The Sebring seats are much more compact. Plus, all of the Sebring seats I looked at have six way power adjustment with manual lumbar - any all of the ones I checked worked fine.

I have a set and am getting another set for future use and/or backup parts. they are leather and will need some minor upholstery repair.
Those are good looking seats. Any pics of them in the truck? My main concern is the overall height of the seat cushion. Looks like the seat needs to be around 12" high to be about right. The 00 Silverado seat is at 15" and like you said, just too tall.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustykey View Post
Those are good looking seats. Any pics of them in the truck? My main concern is the overall height of the seat cushion. Looks like the seat needs to be around 12" high to be about right. The 00 Silverado seat is at 15" and like you said, just too tall.
I have had a set of these Sebring seats in my 72 burb for a few years now and they work and feel great.

It a different truck but, here's some pictures so you can see what they looks like installed. Maybe you can use the center console as a gauge for the cushion height.
Attached Images

3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
I have had a set of these Sebring seats in my 72 burb for a few years now and they work and feel great.

It a different truck but, here's some pictures so you can see what they looks like installed. Maybe you can use the center console as a gauge for the cushion height.
Those look about right. I'm curious to see how they mount up in a square. I'm sure there wouldn't be too much fab to do....those are on my list of potential candidates....thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
DREAMER1

Those Sebring seats look nice... But are there any similar seats without the integral seat belts. I really don't like the look of that styles seatbelts
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I go for a stock look. There's quite a few "little" changes to the interior....all of them subtle. These buckets were pulled from a 1990 Suburban and I recovered the pickup door panels inserts with the Suburban fabric too so that it all ties together. I personally go for seats that compliment the interior and not overpower it-its all relative to personal taste tho.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
tucsonjwt

I have not installed the seats yet because my stock seat has been rebuilt/recovered and I am trying to decide how to sell it - it is too good to junk or give away cheap.

I measured 12" from the lower tip of the front bracket hole mount to the top of the seat cushion. I am guessing that those 2 "legs" on the front will drop down over the raised floor are and mount similar to the existing seat, and that would lower them a bit. If an entire one piece frame was fabricated and mounted to the existing holes, then that would raise the seat height some.

Maybe 3drburb can show us some detailed pics of how he mounted his. I would be interested to know how he did it.

The only issue I see is that the headrests, and maybe the top of the seat backs, will be visible through the back window. Unless you get street rod low rider style seats this will be the case.

As far as integral seat belts go, I don't mind the appearance. I am much more concerned about having good functioning 3 point seat belts which work with a modern inertia function, and the Sebring 2001 and up seats belts work great. 1999 and up Silverado/Sierra have integral seat belts (don't know about what Keith did to the new models.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Lil Ape

I just installed a corbeau seat, bracket and harness last week. Only had to drill two holes and everything else fits good. Now need the passenger side. It's expensive though.

Lil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #16
Burmanater

I'm gonna try some 64-66 mustang bucket seats I've got soon. I set them in there and they looked pretty good. Just need to have them recovered and gonna modify the foam a bit to hold me on the seat a little better.
Burmanater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
school boy

90's model trans am seats and 2013 chevy 1500 center console
school boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

These are some pretty good ideas. I will be heading to the pick n pull with a tape measure this weekend to see what I can find.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #19
anubisani

bought these today 1993 Honda accord.

Name:  SEATS 1.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  SEATS 2.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  SEATS 3.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  SEATS 6.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  SEATS 5.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  77.5 KB

not sure if I am going to build a frame or use 2 bench seat tracks
anubisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
MalibuSSwagon

The Honda Accord seats are decent (used to play with these cars) I actually tossed out a set just like that a while ago, no one wanted to buy them.

My vote goes to mid-90's Bonneville seats. Supportive and comfortable, cool looking too.

The hard to find blue ones I have in my 92 Olds.

They are pretty close to working on the stock bucket seat tracks
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
dustykey
Combat Inkslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
The Honda Accord seats are decent (used to play with these cars) I actually tossed out a set just like that a while ago, no one wanted to buy them.

My vote goes to mid-90's Bonneville seats. Supportive and comfortable, cool looking too.

I was just looking at some seats out of a mid 90's Cadillac Eldo......those looked like they would mount up pretty easily.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
anubisani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post

those are nice
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
anubisani

I really got the Honda seats bcs its an exact color match with my bench seats and it has manual adjustments
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #24
anubisani

Name:  needed these.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  56.4 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisani View Post
bought these today 1993 honda accord.got these today

Attachment 1353102

Attachment 1353103

Attachment 1353104

Attachment 1353105

Attachment 1353106

not sure if i am going to build a frame or use 2 bench seat tracks
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #25
Titomars

Here is what I did. I have a bad back so for those long road trips I need full suspension seats. Otherwise the back fatigue kills me. I went with Corbeau seats. I also used their seat frames/adjusters designed for our squares.
The tracks index with 2 existing holes and require the other 2 holes drilled.
The fit is perfect for me. The seats are wickedly comfortable. While installing my seats i scrounged up a center console from a later model blazer and installed that too.
Attached Images