The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
bucket

Are there any good auto parts stores left?

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in KC, the staff at these places are lousy. They either don't know di*k or are di*ks. I know these aren't high paying jobs, but it seems the help is getting worse every day. I swear half the time i have to go back behind the counter to help them find the correct part on the shelf

You guys in KC have any recomendations?
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
72Levi

Re: Are there any good auto parts stores left?

I agree, I believe customer service and knowledge for the most part has gone down in our country. Maybe if we were not so worried about other countries all of the time we could concentrate on our own citizens to make it a better country.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Car Craft is the only place in my area I dont mind going to.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Jim_PA

Our NAPA is pretty good, but unfortunately I find them to be the highest priced...

If I go to advance, I look up the part numbers online first, and just give the list to the person at the counter...

At any rate, I always check with www.rockauto.com first, because if it's a good bit cheaper, I'll just place the order online.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
cdowns

i've found carquest and napa to both have well above average knowalegable counter people both here and where i used to live in long island
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
hawaiianblue72

Here in Canton, IL we are a very depressed area when it comes to job. We have 5 or 6 parts stores for a town of 14,000 people that's alot. Because that is a great job in Canton I find if it's napa carquest or autozone the people that work there are pretty knowlegeable and helpful. Sometimes it can be your demographics.
hawaiianblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Our NAPA is pretty good, but unfortunately I find them to be the highest priced...

If I go to advance, I look up the part numbers online first, and just give the list to the person at the counter...

At any rate, I always check with www.rockauto.com first, because if it's a good bit cheaper, I'll just place the order online.

Im a store manager for napa, and Ill be the first to say we are a smidge higher. I have also worked for autozone, and they are cheap, but also the return rate is abotu 10-1 if not higher on hard parts, alts, starters, w/p etc.

Id gladly pay the few dollars more at napa now and know my part is going to last.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

There is one autozone around here that has three different guys in there that are very knowledgeable. Two of those guys just work parttime there and are actually awesome local mechanics during the day. The other guy has been in the parts business for years and really knows his stuff. We also have one old parts store that sells federated parts. Those guys are all old time parts guys, most of the time on older vehicles you just bring in the part and they can pretty well tell you what you pulled it off of.

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Advanced is the best we have around here and let me tell you that is bad!! Autozone there is one guy that is good, but since he almost chopped is foot off on his motorcycle, he hasn't been around. The NAPA guys here are idiots. I went in there four times, twice with their part numbers, and left all four times just shaking my head. Back home in Levittown, there is a place that is a auto store and hunting store all in one. You could go in there ask for whatever auto part you need and get your ammo at the same time I used them a few times and there were very good. If they didn't have it or couldn't get it, they tell you where you can.

Mike
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
msgross

My NAPA guys is great (Miller & boxler in Lebanon PA), you can tell him the model and engine and he can give advice for days...All others in my town suck, but are cheap! If I need a basic part then I go to Advanced (manager gives me 20% off) if I need advice and a part then I hit NAPA (he can also get items in the next day without paying in advance) I figure I pay for the advice so it's worth a little extra.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Haywagon.that sounds like "THE" auto parts store.If they screw ya around you can just go postal right then and there.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
chevyboy55

Just last weekend I needed a impact screwdriver & called about 8 or 9 parts houses that also sell tools. Only ONE person knew what one was. I spent more time trying to tell them what it was . Good ol sears was the only place that had one.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55 View Post
Just last weekend I needed a impact screwdriver & called about 8 or 9 parts houses that also sell tools. Only ONE person knew what one was. I spent more time trying to tell them what it was . Good ol sears was the only place that had one.
Whats that Nah just kidding, I have one that I picked up at a tool sale a few years ago. I used it once on my friends brakes (rotors were held on by 2 screws) and I consider it paid for

PanelDeland....I would guess thats why they are so good at what they do

Mike
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

The thing that makes me crazy is so many of the employees cannot pay attention & can't remember anything you say. You can ask for a water pump for a 1985 Chevette, & they will respond something like: A '95? corsica? Which brakes did you need, front or rear? I feel like I should have just walked up to the counter and said- I need a bla bla bla for a bla bla bla. Oh yea, & it does have heated power adjustable sunvisors!

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
The thing that makes me crazy is so many of the employees cannot pay attention & can't remember anything you say. You can ask for a water pump for a 1985 Chevette, & they will respond something like: A '95? corsica? Which brakes did you need, front or rear? I feel like I should have just walked up to the counter and said- I need a bla bla bla for a bla bla bla. Oh yea, & it does have heated power adjustable sunvisors!

well my revenger for smart ass customers that think they are mr know it alls, Ill ask them some simple question like does it have black round wheels, or does it have a cd player or does it have mirrors, and depending on how they react is what I tell them the availability is. I of course tell them im joking, but i string it out longer with others depending on how big of a dick you are
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #16
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

The best places anymore are mom and pop places if you can find them. I have sold parts off and on for years and the people they have now a days are not properly trained or even care about their jobs.
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #17
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

When I go in and say "I need ventvisors for a 93 Chevy 1500" and the response I get is "2wd or 4wd" and "what engine do you have" I want to slam the person's fingers in my door. JUST PICK AN ENGINE...IT DON'T MATTER! When I bought the hitch for my 93, I went to AZ and they asked which engine I had...I told them a 5.7l Hemi. The look on the guys face was almost worth a laugh. Then he said that motor isn't listed and went and got his manager. I left laughing before the manager came out and then went to Advanced.

Mike
Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68haywagon View Post
When I go in and say "I need ventvisors for a 93 Chevy 1500" and the response I get is "2wd or 4wd" and "what engine do you have" I want to slam the person's fingers in my door. JUST PICK AN ENGINE...IT DON'T MATTER! When I bought the hitch for my 93, I went to AZ and they asked which engine I had...I told them a 5.7l Hemi. The look on the guys face was almost worth a laugh. Then he said that motor isn't listed and went and got his manager. I left laughing before the manager came out and then went to Advanced.

Mike
and the only difference in advance and autozone is the spelling
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #19
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

I work at the Advance Auto here in Seneca, SC. I am a night shift manager.
In our town, most say napa has good parts and knowledgable help, but they arent very friendly and the parts are higher, and they won't help you much if you need to show them something or ask random questions. Most say Autozone is staffed with a bunch of idiots, They won't help you at all, but they have competitive prices (and price match like we do), but they have better warrantys. Ours is Limited lifetime, and I've heard that theirs is lifetime, no questions asked. Ours (Advance) has great knowledgeable folks during the day, most have been there over 5yrs. My night crew is learning, but most have never worked on a car, unfortunately. We are all very helpful at least, and most people comment on that regularly. I love that we can usually have a part next day or the next if we do not regularly stock it.
72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs69c10 View Post
and the only difference in advance and autozone is the spelling
I know that...but around here the people at Advance are just a little more knowledgable. They have an old timer there who is real good with older cars and trucks like my 68. AZ people here are not even remotely helpful unless Andy is there, but since he's since he almost diced his foot off, hes not there anymore.

Mike
Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 AM   #21
BigMike

Best place I had ever been to is a Mom & Pop place (Bob Price passed away several years back) called Westbay Auto parts. These guys were the best, not only in knowing their sh!t but also being customer oriented. I worked for them in my early days and they didn't pay too bad either. They carried from Stock to Hi Performance and tools as well as paint...yep, you could get anything from PPG to House of Kolor and all the materials you needed to shoot your ride.

Even though these guys were a Mom & Pop outfit, they had 6 or 7 stores all over the county. Did alot of charity and stuff for the community. If you're ever in Kitsap County Washington, look them up.

OMG, after proof reading my post I had no idea it looked like a shameless plug, sorry was not meant to be that way.

Now that I am in Southern California it is a much different story. For one, every time I go into the Autozone or Kragens, there is never the same face twice. I swear these guys go through more employees than my Grandmother goes through her Depends! What is up with that? Is it the pay...must be, although CA is getting a minimum wage increase beginning in 01/08 to $8.00 an hour. But it is the same story...Poor knowledge of inventory and/or of the automotive industry as a whole. Luckily though, I hooked up with The Paint Store that has helped me a great deal with my truck (got the HoK Tangelo paint and supplies for cost). These guys know what you're talking about and very helpful.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68haywagon View Post

Mike
Come on guys. Don't tell me you now what every part is for every vehicle? As far as the adv/autozone computers, they have to put in the engine info to move on to the parts you need. I don't know how many times I've come in and asked for an array of parts ranging from brakes to a cap and rotor. It saves time if your looking for multiple parts and it's how they help you.

There are some "idiots" out there who work at these places, but at least give 'em a chance. If I worked at one of those places I'd be very helpful if someone wanted a GM part, but if they wanted something for a foreign car I'd be clueless. (My dad and I tried to buy engine parts for a 98 hyundai and apparently not only did they change motors mid-year, but there was several varients of their engine, which required different parts.)

Give 'em a break fellas
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #23
nate68

i wish these places had a self serve (like the self checkout at grocery stores) so i could look it up and get it myself. it's not that freakin hard to look things up on the computer and go find them. i usually do look up the part number online first in case they screw up.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #24
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

well around here if the parts guy can find it..and has got it..the part quality sucks...i had all kinds of problems with auto zone brake shoes..

i had to order GM brakes shoes online to ever get them fixed...

i just try to fix most parts myself....
and always do the work myself...
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #25
junkyardjohn

WELL THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON THE NAPA GUYS HERE IN SOMERSET SO FAR, BUT THEY SEEM LIKE EVERY OTHER NAPA STORE I'VE EVER BEEN IN. THEY'RE GOOD. IF I JUST NEED A CASE OF OIL OR A CAN OF CARB. CLEANER OR BRAKE CLEAN, I DON'T MIND GOING TO THE DICOUNT PARTS HOUSES. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED AN ANSWER TO A PROBLEM....... NAPA IS USUALLY THE PLACE TO GO. THE PRICES ARE A LITTLE HIGHER, BUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE & KNOWLEDGE IS SURE WORTH THE DIFFERENCE IN COST. I THINK THEY PAY A LITTLE MORE FOR QUALIFIED HELP & THEIR PRICES ARE A WE BIT HIGHER TO REFLECT THAT. IT'S MONEY WELL SPEBT IN MY OPINION. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote