The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Awesome deal in Missouri....

Check out the "buy it now" price on this..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...509279492&rd=1
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

DAMN, AND I'M ALL OUT OF MONEY
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Mudder

Thats not far from me.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
HeavyD

Gah! And it's orange, too! Good deal.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
1969 GMC

nice truck...it even has a really straight GMC tailgate! I'm sure it would be easy to find someone with a Chevy gate to trade...
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Hey Mudder, I was actually thinking of you when I posted this. You should go buy it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
BOSS
Just here to help

Mudder you said you wanted another truck.
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
Mudder

Beds way too long for me and he says it has rust..........
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
4x4Poet

Everybody go back and look at each of the photos:

1. Notice the long shadows. Photos were taken in morning/evening to enhance color like mags recommend. Shadow side dark photo shows nothing beyond a straight body.

2. Seller admits rust, but each photo was taken from above to angle away from the rockers. Take a close look. The rockers are toast, but prolly not w/gaping holes. The left fender's bottom behind tire has rust and holes. And since the shadow side photo is too dark to see right fender clearly, who knows what right fender condition is. Maybe both fenders' replacement time.

3. Seller admits A/C missing compressor, yet the eng compartment photo is from the side opposite the A/C. Let's see that gaping hole. And where's the battery shot where most rust occurs.

4. What is the trans? TH350 or TH400?

5. Doesn't that truck have a 2wd BB fan shroud? If so, where's the big block?

Conclusions:
A. Truck looks better than it is thru good photography. Seller has absolved himself of liablity by admitting rust up front but without emphasizing it thru clearly presented shots of rust spots.

B. The photo angles and lighting conceal the worst rust spots. Not all are visible, for sure.

C. The lack of a pass side angle engine compartment shot and a battery shot is conspicuous. The missing compressor may be because the owner did not want to find small block A/C brackets after having ditched the BB (if I'm right about the BB shroud).

C. If I'm right about this truck originally having a BB, not mentioning the trans may say either the trans is the BB's TH400 or it's not original. (Still conjecture at least until someone verifies whether shroud is for BB)

D. This truck has been maintained by people who used what was available, not what was right. The tailgate proves that up front, but the BB shroud (if I'm right) hints to the butchering of a BB truck. And now the small block has a miss. Not good. Sellers fix engine misses that are easily diagnosed and fixed.

The clever photos and seller's admissions should make any potential buyer question this truck's history and treatment therein. If one wants this truck for a parts truck or has a few parts trucks awaiting a platform, then ok, maybe a good deal to be had.

If buying to fix up with no parts laying around to lesson costs:
Fixing rust in both rockers, both fenders, and no doubt the kick panels & floors adds $300-$1k to a do-it-youselfer's cost depending on whether the fenders are replaced. More for the less equipped. Engine rebuild add $1-2k if you pull the motor. A/C compressor, system cleanout, little parts missing, and R12 recharge: prolly $500. And it would be dumb not to put new, better-made A/C hoses on: $200. Interior work: $400 plus if you replace the seat foam. Add in new tailgate, new paint job, suspension work, axle, brakes, & maybe radiator, all the little stuff, and this truck would cost upwards of $5000 for the do-it-youselfer save maybe the outsourced body and paint work. It could push $10k for the less equipped. I know, many of you could do it all for a pittance because you get parts at cost, your garage looks like an auto repair shop, and your backyard looks like a wrecking yard. Spare us the bragging.

Of course, one could just drive it till it dies while spending the bare minimum to keep it going. But what's the fun in that? Except for locals, it's not worth the trip to go get it unless it's dirt cheap. Besides, I hate orange.:p

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 12-05-2004 at 12:31 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
Everybody go back and look at each of the photos:

1. Notice the long shadows. Photos were taken in morning/evening to enhance color like mags recommend. Shadow side dark photo shows nothing beyond a straight body.

2. Seller admits rust, but each photo was taken from above to angle away from the rockers. Take a close look. The rockers are toast, but prolly not w/gaping holes. The left fender's bottom behind tire has rust and holes. And since the shadow side photo is too dark to see right fender clearly, who knows what right fender condition is. Maybe both fenders' replacement time.

3. Seller admits A/C missing compressor, yet the eng compartment photo is from the side opposite the A/C. Let's see that gaping hole. And where's the battery shot where most rust occurs.

4. What is the trans? TH350 or TH400?

5. Doesn't that truck have a 2wd BB fan shroud? If so, where's the big block?

Conclusions:
A. Truck looks better than it is thru good photography. Seller has absolved himself of liablity by admitting rust up front but without emphasizing it thru clearly presented shots of rust spots.

B. The photo angles and lighting conceal the worst rust spots. Not all are visible, for sure.

C. The lack of a pass side angle engine compartment shot and a battery shot is conspicuous. The missing compressor may be because the owner did not want to find small block A/C brackets after having ditched the BB (if I'm right about the BB shroud).

C. If I'm right about this truck originally having a BB, not mentioning the trans may say either the trans is the BB's TH400 or it's not original. (Still conjecture at least until someone verifies whether shroud is for BB)

D. This truck has been maintained by people who used what was available, not what was right. The tailgate proves that up front, but the BB shroud (if I'm right) hints to the butchering of a BB truck. And now the small block has a miss. Not good. Sellers fix engine misses that are easily diagnosed and fixed.

The clever photos and seller's admissions should make any potential buyer question this truck's history and treatment therein. If one wants this truck for a parts truck or has a few parts trucks awaiting a platform, then ok, maybe a good deal to be had.

If buying to fix up with no parts laying around to lesson costs:
Fixing rust in both rockers, both fenders, and no doubt the kick panels & floors adds $300-$1k to a do-it-youselfer's cost depending on whether the fenders are replaced. More for the less equipped. Engine rebuild add $1-2k if you pull the motor. A/C compressor, system cleanout, little parts missing, and R12 recharge: prolly $500. And it would be dumb not to put new, better-made A/C hoses on: $200. Interior work: $400 plus if you replace the seat foam. Add in new tailgate, new paint job, suspension work, axle, brakes, & maybe radiator, all the little stuff, and this truck would cost upwards of $5000 for the do-it-youselfer save maybe the outsourced body and paint work. It could push $10k for the less equipped. I know, many of you could do it all for a pittance because you get parts at cost, your garage looks like an auto repair shop, and your backyard looks like a wrecking yard. Spare us the bragging.

Of course, one could just drive it till it dies while spending the bare minimum to keep it going. But what's the fun in that? Except for locals, it's not worth the trip to go get it unless it's dirt cheap. Besides, I hate orange.:p
Great post(really), your not a detective by any chance?
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
zmnbyu

Thats probably why they are asking 1750 instead of 4750
Not my truck nor do I know the persons selling the truck, but I would go with the saying "You get what you pay for" on this truck
zmnbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I keep forgetting, that truck (which would be considered a "cream puff" in Virginia) is a rust bucket out there. LOL, probably why 90% of the east coast knows how to do body work and you guys pay someone else to do it.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmnbyu
Thats probably why they are asking 1750 instead of 4750
Not my truck nor do I know the persons selling the truck, but I would go with the saying "You get what you pay for" on this truck
True, though with the rust, engine miss, shabby interior, cut dash, missing A/C compressor, and wrong tailgate, I'd say this truck is worth between $500 & $1000, with the fudge factor to be determined by a first hand look.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #14
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

IMO, a good running, driving, a decent looking truck is worth $1750, even if it has some rust on it. But i'd have to see that one in person.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote