The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
brian.kannady

Engine / Trans / Driveshaft question

All
I'm trying to think through my build and consider all potential options before I really start making any movement. I'm going to be doing a 250 to 350 swap on my 67 at some point in the next few years (so no real hurry on the answer to this), and I'm trying to decide whether to keep the 3ott or do an auto. I know that if I put the 350 in the correct 2wd V8 spot (which I want to do so it looks right, I can access the distributor easily, etc.), I'll wind up moving the trans forward, and need a longer driveshaft (and have to move the crossmember the trans sits on). If I decide to swap out the 3ott for a 700r4, what are the chances of the longer trans and the further forward engine working out so I don't have to get a new driveshaft or mess with it substantially?
brian.kannady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
builtnb

Re: Engine / Trans / Driveshaft question

The 67 three speed is very short and has a coarse spline yoke. You will need to change the yoke and shorten the drive shaft. You will also need an automatic cross member. and Drill the frame for the cross member. Fairly easy swap.
builtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've taken 6 cylinder 3 speed trucks and converted them to small block and 700R4 the right way with proper small block mounts and was able to use the existing driveshaft. Same deal with a 9 inch turbo 350 trans. It's the same length as the 700 is. Both were trucks with factory one piece drive shafts.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I'm pretty sure a cut, weld, couple of new ujoints and a ballance is less than $100..... I wouldn't worry about it too much. Probably less than a lot of guys spend on their valve covers.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
brans72

I am working on same year and combo and my drive shaft worked and using 1 piece drive shaft as stated by TX Firefighter. Trust me he is always on point and very knowledgeable I have found out. If you can think it on these truck he has probably done it.
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote