The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
djunkie

C-notch question

I want to install a McGaughys flip kit and c-notch on my '87. Will I need to remove the bed to install the notch? Also, I've got lowering shackles on it now. Will I need to reinstall the stock ones to keep it from being too low? I only want like 6" total drop in the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
djunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Stepper562

Re: C-notch question

Search button is your friend, this has been covered numerous times but here goes...

In order to c notch it yes, bed has to come off. Depending on your shackles if they are 1-2 in drop you can just move the hole one down and you'll get your 6 in drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper562 View Post
Search button is your friend, this has been covered numerous times but here goes...

In order to c notch it yes, bed has to come off. Depending on your shackles if they are 1-2 in drop you can just move the hole one down and you'll get your 6 in drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some kits it does have to come off . . ..... but some kits it doesn't. Regardless, it's easier w/the bed out of the way.

Depending on how many leafs are in the spring pack, flipping the axle from under to over the leaf pack will yield between 5-6" of drop. If you're looking for only 5" of drop, you might need some stock shackles. Do the flip & get a visual. Move forward from there.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
oldschool18

is it a bolt on notch? if so I dont think you have to take the bed off. your flip kit will drop you 3" dont no how much you droped already

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Stepper562

Good luck cutting the frame and bolting or welding the c notch on the top rail without removing the bed...my flip kit dropped me 4in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
grs

You don't have to take the bed off to c-notch the frame. I did my 87 with the bed on. I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel, and a saws all to cut the cross brace that goes under the bed. I cut enough of it out so the c-notch would go up and then slide over the frame. Make sure the wires, and brake line are out of the way. You will have to bend the brake line out of the way. I also had a plate made to give the c-notch more strength. Also the left rear shock will bottom out if it is lowered to much.
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote