The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
vtblazer

Question What Makes "Your Truck" Right for You?

Why 'that' truck? (blazer/jimmy/lwb/swb/2wd/4wd)

Why 'those' mods? (engine/tires/wheels/lift/color/interior, etc)

How does it fit into the catagory of "works for me"?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

Re: What Makes "Your Truck" Right for You?

THAT TRUCK? Because my best friend has a 72 Blazer that we would go wheeling in all the time. Ironically it broke down around the same time I purchased mine and is still broke down....3 years later.

THAT TRUCK? Because when I was having my Chevelle wagon painted the painter (PO) has just laid bright canary yellow on his Blazer and I had to have it.

THOSE MODS :
-One ton axles: because I progressively broke the 1/2 then 3/4 ton stuff.
-6 Point cage: Obvious.
-Custom frame crossmembers: because the more wheeling I did, the more agressive I got and the more stuff I would break.
-Custom steering box brace: see above
-Custom leaf spring mounts: see above
-Custom raised front frame crossmember and winch mount: So the bumper would look good with the body lift (PO did that) and the winch....duh.

WORKS FOR ME If you've seen the sticky thread 4x4 Action Pix you know why...picture whore, OUT!!

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Man I really want to post something but I can't be the one to go after that with my one mod. I'll wait a few posts.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
dan42

For me, it's the color, the year, the stance, the originality of the truck. Then I can make it how I want it from there.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Rokcrln

For me it started out when I was about 8yrs old and I would wander around the old fire station (now a pin stripe shop) in Penngrove ca. The owner "Hutch" would always ask me if I wanted to watch and I ended up having my own stool in the corner so I could watch when ever I wanted to. He would work on all kinds of very top notch hot rods, race cars, custom trucks, you name it and he has stripped it. But he always drove a 70 SWB fleet side with a camper shell on it. The colors did not match and it was nothing fancy but with a few inches of drop it just had the right look. And at 8yrs old I figured if this guy worked on everything under the sun but drove this then their must be a reason.

Ever since then I have been a fan of 67-72's and not only the trucks but any of our style's. I have done all the wheeling on the Rubicon and VictorValley and have beat up way to much sheet metal in my day so I have decided to keep with the 2wds for the street and full tube chassie 4x4's for off road.

I have a 70 2wd blazer that I have been tossing around the idea of just selling and building a few other vehicals that I have and or want but the more I think about it I just can not part with it even know it is a total piece. I have very large plans for it and those who know me know I can prety much build anything I can think up but even this build will test me a bit I can not go into details but just think what would a Fabricators ultimite Blazer be and you will only be about half way their.

So now back on topic mods for me are the ones that look simple at a glance or even stock but once you notice one mod they all start comming out at you but still very subtle.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Burt4x4

When I was ready to find my 4x4 I knew 1 thing, it had to be full convertable with a cage. I started looking at old Willys jeeps 40s era. But man they were small...real small and I have alot of camping gear. Wasn't married & no kids at the time but I knew a cool flat fender was too little. My dad being a Chevy man I found the First Gen Blazer was the ticket. Looked at about 6 of them in 1993 until I found the one I bought.
The internet has played a HUGE roll in were my K5 is now. I got online about 1997 and have never left.
My K5 has alot of personal sweat blood and laughter and even sadness...hahaha about 35 days after I bought it I got a DUI in it..first and last. I was at the Gilroy Garlic festable and brod day light after 3 beers and an empty stomach when leaving the place there was 55gal paper berrals used like cones to guide the cars to the exit...well I knocked over about 3 of them when I turned the K5 too sharp...about 5 cops on foot stoped me and derected me behind a set of trees were they had a DUI van/truck setup and well I went to jail that day...kinda sucked I wasn't even drunk..in my mind anyway..
So much for talkin about my truck hahaha oh well...
Have a great week everyone
Burt
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
1969K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Why 'that' truck? (blazer/jimmy/lwb/swb/2wd/4wd)
Why 'those' mods? (engine/tires/wheels/lift/color/interior, etc)
How does it fit into the catagory of "works for me"?
Growing up, my Dad had a 67/68/69/70/71/72 P/U that we used to haul trash & fire wood, and move everyone & their brother. I "learned" to drive sitting on a box between a set of camaro buckets in that truck at about 6 or 7 yrs old. Dad smoked back then & rolled his own. So going down the road, I got to "drive" while he rolled another one.

I knew my first truck would be the same body style.

My first was a '72 short step. Had to have it 'cause it was a 72 (same yr I was born), & 3-on-the-tree. Damn, what a good looker!

I quickly learned that based upon where I lived, I needed a 4X4, and was starting to learn what I need to know to convert it, when some lady felt my truck was too long, and made it shorter.. I also learned that a short bed left a lot of missing space I could use to haul all the crap I end up hauling.

So, the replacment was 4X4 & long bed. I won't own an auto tranny. At the time I was looking, I could only find my current truck & 1 in NE that was 3/4T but rusted out, badly.

MOTOR for MY 350 V-8, 'cause it has been my motor for this being it's 3rd vehicle.
AXLES I've got a set of 14B FF & D44 axles for it, 'cause I thought I was loosing my rear gear set. They'll go in someday. The disc front end will be nice!
X-FER Just recently bought a NP205 to replace the X-fer, 'cause my T-221 just gave up recently.
WHEELS Don't like flashy or cleaning. So found some steelies & powdercoated them flat black!
TIRES gotta be tall & skinny. 33 X 10.5's Paid too much for BFG's...
LIFT techically, none, but obviously has some, and it's just the right amount. It's all in the springs. The front came with a "plow spring kit" (?) and the rear is 3/4T.

Why it works for me - The body style, 4X4, got the parts to make it 3/4T. It's blue & manual tranny. It'll be a different shade of blue when I get done with all the body work that needs done, but she's my beast for now!

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)

Last edited by 1969K10; 11-07-2007 at 12:15 PM.
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
vtblazer

Cool stories/reasons.

One of my "want it cause" stories is from high school.
A buddy's dad had one with a big block in it...all the time.

I saw my first blazer while I was taking my son to his 1 year, well child check up that my wife 'made' me do.

What do ya think she's thinkin' now...thanks hun!

In the end, it's all about function and purpose for me.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
70rs/ss

My dad drove them when I was a kid in the 70's, then my brother gave me my first vihicle (67 SWB step)!! Since I have had several (like 20 ish!) I still haven't found the ideal otherwise I would still have one of my own (to keep) instead of building and selling!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
pound41

My Dad special ordered a 72 black stepside 402/400/411 with a competition Shift kit in the tranny. It was one of those --where the boys at the factory had a good day when they put that 402 together. It was one of those weird motors that ran way better than it was supposed to. we used to eat up Chevelles, camaros and road runners. It crushed cars you wouldn't think it would. Solid chrome 15x10's with 60's on it. the 67 camaro disk brake rally caps in the center. A friend of his bought a new 72 blazer we went camping in. So when I was 15yrs old Deal was I could have just about any car I wanted I had to supply my own insurance. Got a 71 cst blazer. I wanted something when it snowed I didn't have to stay home. 1st thing I did in 1981 was lift it. Bought and built a 72 the next year put a 327/365 in it. Now i have my original 71 left and a 70 that I have purchased. Making family rides with a little bit of muscle on them. One day will give them to my kids to drive to high school like I did
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote