The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
C10Silverado79

Pros and Cons of change to Posi rear?

I have a standard rear in my truck noticed a 5-LUG Posi Rear on CL. It got me wondering what the Pros and Cons are to swapping for a Posi?
C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
grmrepr

Re: Pros and Cons of change to Posi rear?

I think a big pro would be that you will have both tires spinning so you will have better traction

1985 Chevy C-10 SWB 305
looking for posi rearend
2003 GMC Sonoma (DD)
1999 GMC Sierra 4x4 327 (Out Of Commission)
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged
2004 Chevy Malibu (Wife's Hot Rod)

Last edited by grmrepr; 04-13-2010 at 03:48 PM.
grmrepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

There's no downside I know of...

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
There's no downside I know of...
you will be purchasing sets of rear tires v.s. one tire for the rear

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
camshaftgsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
you will be purchasing sets of rear tires v.s. one tire for the rear
i thought that was a pro?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
JR0187

The only one I know of is when making turns, one wheel needs to spin faster than the other. I don't know what the side effects of this is though. But I would probably say the pros out weigh the cons .
JR0187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
ont_guy_38

The only con I can think of is if you are driving on snow and it spins it has a tendancy to slide sideways because you have both wheels spinning which can cause some problems sometimes, other then that there is just the special additive you have to buy for them
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
The only con I can think of is if you are driving on snow and it spins it has a tendancy to slide sideways because you have both wheels spinning
This can happen in the rain too, especially if you have a lead foot.
The biggest "downside" is the cost of adding it versus the "benefit" of it being there. Everyone does not need a posi-traction unit and it's not like it is ever going to "pay for itself" like some add-on the increases fuel mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
INSIDIOUS '86

with a posi you wont have right tire fire when going around every corner in the rain, also an open diff is more prone to snap steer than a posi, when you turn left your left tire can unload very suddenly and send you into a 180 or worse, but with a posi you will know when your rear starts kicking aout immediatly, there are quite a few pros to switching over, it all depends on how you use your truck. will you benifit from the extra traction or not?
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I feel like there was just a little less power off the line, just slight. However, I have a "poor man's posi." I don't konw if that makes a difference or not.
harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
nlped

Every single square I have owned has been swapped to a posi...or is in the process of getting one. Once you get stuck in somebodies front yard after a rain, you'll always put one it

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
C10Silverado79

I was thinking about it for the snow and for the occasional boat launch. Just not sure if it's worth the cost and work. I also know squat about drive trains. Is it better to swam axles or to put new gears in the existing axle? If what I have read recently is accurate, I have a 12 bolt rear. I have no clue what the ratio is.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
nlped

The '76 Blazer I have also has a 12 bolt under it, and it is about to get an Auburn, new 3.42 gears and all new bearings. I, too, really need the posi most when lauching/pulling the boat in/out of the water. But it is a nice reassurance to know that if a situation comes up, both tires are going to pull .

As far as I.D.ing your rearend type, just lay under the rear and count the number of bolts holding the rearend inspection cover to the housing. It will either be 12 or 10, matter of fact, if there is only one bolt at 6 o'clock it's a 10 bolt, but if there are 2 bolts parallel at the bottom of the cover it's a 12 bolt. That will at least get you on course for knowing which rearend you actually have.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
C10Silverado79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
The '76 Blazer I have also has a 12 bolt under it, and it is about to get an Auburn, new 3.42 gears and all new bearings. I, too, really need the posi most when lauching/pulling the boat in/out of the water. But it is a nice reassurance to know that if a situation comes up, both tires are going to pull .
I was under the truck this past weekend replacing the whole brake system. I counted 12 bolts on the cover. Are you putting in a whole new axle or new parts in your existing axle? Like I said, I know virtually nothing about rear ends and transmissions so I'm not sure what an Auburn is.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10Silverado79 View Post
I was under the truck this past weekend replacing the whole brake system. I counted 12 bolts on the cover. Are you putting in a whole new axle or new parts in your existing axle? Like I said, I know virtually nothing about rear ends and transmissions so I'm not sure what an Auburn is.
I am just replacing the parts in my existing housing. I have an Auburn, a new set of 3.42 gears (replacing the existing 3.08ish gears with a bit lower gear in anticipation of an LSX swap in the near future) and all new bearings and seals.

Now, understand, I'm not actually replacing them. I found a guy who builds and races round track cars, and does this kind of work as well. He is charging me $75 and guarantees the correct fit and finish. He has already done 2 sets for me, and they both worked perfectly.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
....... I found a guy who builds and races round track cars, and does this kind of work as well. He is charging me $75 and guarantees the correct fit and finish......
Hmm? How far is it from Texas to Alabama and back again?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #17
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Hmm? How far is it from Texas to Alabama and back again?
Lol! When I moved to Alabama, it was from Denton, Tx. I left behind a bunch of friends, so I made the trip quite often. I got it down to 10 hours each way

Now understand that I will be taking him just the rearend out of the truck. Since I will be lowering the Blazer via a flip, new shocks, c-notch, upgrading the brakes, and the u-joints probably need attention, I will just pull the whole thing and have him bench build it.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

York, you live in the "snow belt" just like I do. Seeing as yours isn't 4WD I would swap rear axels and be done with it. You don't want to tangle a$%holes with trying to swap parts around inside an axel unless you know what your doing, trust me. Every rear axel is different, even 2 going down the assembly line one after the other. Pinion depth, ring gear backlash\clearance, bearing preload, not to mention bearing replacement. It's a lot of work thats sometimes very tedious and sometimes frustrating. Get it wrong and she will howl something awful, and possibly destroy itself. I did it for 33 years and have a Detroit locker posi unit sitting in my garage I was going to install but the work involved dosen't justify changing from an open rear because I have 4WD. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote