The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

towing

I got a side job towing stuff with the dually and i have never towed anyhting this big before anyhting i should do or look into before towing a 28foot travel trailer and the deck (cut up and in the bed)?

Thanks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

Re: towing

Plan your stopping well in advance so you can give yourself enough room to stop.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982 View Post
Plan your stopping well in advance so you can give yourself enough room to stop.
actually the drive is no too long down one main high way through a small town and to a trailer park.

next is the price i don't want to soak them but i don't want to cut my self short.

it's 114.7KM = 1 hour and 40 in drive it's the trailer and deck. deck is cut up into 8x8 3 peices.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
SoCalKris

Make sure you check all fluids and your brakes are in good condition. Go slow, dont take any chances. Make Wide slow turns, you take your time and all will be good.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKris View Post
Make sure you check all fluids and your brakes are in good condition. Go slow, dont take any chances. Make Wide slow turns, you take your time and all will be good.
oils fresh,trans was done less then 6 months ago, has external cooler, brakes are good. and to think my dad tows his 28 footer goose neck with a 22foot boat behind it:S

Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Desert1957

I'm not sure towing trailers that are not your's is a safe way to learn about towing...Just a thought.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
I'm not sure towing trailers that are not your's is a safe way to learn about towing...Just a thought.

Desert
i have towed just not that big i have pulled a loaded car trailer all over the place, a goose neck etc. just not 28foot thats all. i'm confident that i can do it just was wondering how to prep the ol gal.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

just take your time, and try thinking forward too long how are you going to make the turn, break time etc

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

heres something that noone has said but is very important... make sure anything you have in the bed is properly secured with straps and or a blue tarp if it should be covered. Make sure the pressure in your trailer tires is good and the trailer is properly hooked up and the lights work..and make sure you have good safety chains on the trailer.. check fluids and go easy and it should be pretty easy for you

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
njlimbaugh

Will your insurance cover this??????
njlimbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
crazy-101

Be sure to know how the trailer is going to act when you go to make a turn. I have seen way to many people take the curbs out and even signs. If you have to back in somewhere take your time and be dang sure not to hit anything. I always check my starts/tie downs 5-6 times before I even leave and if you think an extra strap would be good to use, USE it can't hurt anything. last thing you want to do is loose part of your load going down the road.
crazy-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

I tow a 24 ft TT with my 1/2 ton, so yes your truck SHOULD be able to do it. Better check your manual for towing capacities, and don't exceed your gcvw.

Does your insurance company know that you are towing things that belong to other people?

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
I tow a 24 ft TT with my 1/2 ton, so yes your truck SHOULD be able to do it. Better check your manual for towing capacities, and don't exceed your gcvw.

Does your insurance company know that you are towing things that belong to other people?
trucks an ex tow truck shoulde be alright. how do i check my GCVW? (not original cab)

Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
wyattglock

My travel trailer is rated at a 25 foot BH. Tip to tip it is 31 feet long, and 12' 3" high. The biggest problem I have had is that on a bumpy road it will want to roll side to side. I am now running the weight distribution setup from my 3/4 ton Dodge because the bars will dampen and eliminate severe roll. Since I have a 2 wheel drive dually, I didn't crank a whole lot of weight into the bars. I didn't want to take to much weight off the rear axle, but just enough to keep a little tension on the bars. Sway control is another nice little feature if you get into a strong crosswind. Saved my butt more than once!
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

yours a 1Ton so here in denmark thats 3500kg on the hitch and that lower then in the states but idk since yours a 350

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

wait until February 1st then do it at night on ice covered roads. it's fun. even better if you have a fellow board member with you.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote