The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
telly444

(new guy) suspension/coil question

hey guys, I just bought a 66 shortbox and I'm trying to figure out what the previous owner has done to the suspension. I know the front is dropped and the rear has 3 inch blocks under the axle but I would like to lower the rear a bit more if I can. I can't figure out if my rear springs are lowering springs or not. they are about 13 inches with no load on them. with the truck on the ground I have 5 inches of play from the axle to the frame. what would you guys say the least amount of distance I could have from axle to frame without a C notch before I get into trouble? are these lowering spring? what would y'all recommend I do? leave it be or lower a bit more in the rear? Name:  20160104_101029.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  20160104_192652.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  20160115_132144.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  20160115_132118.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  20160104_101106.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  35.0 KB
telly444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: (new guy) suspension/coil question

No real good way to ID the springs. You may have to start from scratch. If it was mine I would put new springs on it and get rid of the 3 inch blocks. It puts the rear suspension below the scrub line and it can or will drag the ground if you have a flat. Also from the pics it looks like a smaller diameter u-bolt than stock. I would put a 4" spring in it with a 1 inch block and relocate the shock mounts and some dropped shocks. Would get you where you want to be.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
telly444

Thank you. Yes those blocks were a concern to me. They are crazy low to the ground.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
telly444

would a 5 inch drop spring and 1 inch block be okay? I will never have anything in the bed. summer time cruiser. don't want to bottom out everywhere though. I calculated 8 inches of travel with the old springs.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Grizz1963

Hi Telly,

I have sent you a PM as well.

However, thought I would copy and paste all about my trucks changes.

I started with an unknown history too. So decided to bite the bullet and start again. Ride, handling and suspension are after all important.

So copy and paste directly from original posts.

Tonight I am the proud (???) owner of £436.00's worth of 2 and 2-4 inch lowering joy for the truck.

Mate Martin has bought the same for his '65 Long Fleetside.

The original lowering was done with an Oxy-Acetelyne torch at some point, leaving the truck a bit, well a lot, wallowy. Redneck engineering at its best with the springs unevenly bunched together.

So in line with having it as a functional driver when it is done, I decided this was another item that needs doing correctly. So spent the money importing the parts.

Martin needed a full set for his truck too, so when we saw the lot on sale by Brothers, we contacted the Brothers in the USA and asked about combined shipping....... the difference was $110.00 on the parts.

Of course you cannot get away from Customs, but the barstewards charge their VAT on the US courier costs too, which I think is a bloody cheek.

Anyway, I am happy that I have nitrous filled shocks with nylon bushes.

The springs weigh a ton, and look very good.

Still need to decide if I should get the springs powder coated, or just give them a coat of gloss enamel, as they are going out of site and this is a driver truck.

Picture of Joy.

There is a lot to be said for building two trucks in parallel. Loads of sharing of cock ups and spares, as well as helping each other out with bits.

Started this morning with painting the rear springs a red under coat...... what a carp job to do.

Tomorrow I will go get some red gloss enamel mixed up to paint them with, I only did the rears, as I am going to Hammerite the front ones in Black.

First coat of undercoat on.

We each also bought two 500ml cans of red gloss enamel spray paint for our truck springs, the result below.

NEXT COPY AND PASTE.

So back at my place I pulled the truck out and got all the bits ready.

But not before I had pre-cooked 20 Peri Peri chicken wings and got some sausage ready for Ian to do us a BBQ later.

He was also on kettle duties.....

Just starting to take the front wheel off.

Old vs New shocks. New shocks were ordered at -2"

Martin and I getting our heads together.

And then it got spicy...... Martin was all over me like a cheap suit.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing to get old nuts and bolts loosened.

Thank goodness these trucks are built in Man Size.

In the mean time Ian kept us tanked up with tea and coffee as well as passing, collecting spanners and taking some photos.

At some point, after much bashing, we got the spring removed.

It seems the original spring was cut down by 2 inches and refitted, and over time it, along with the shock absorber had become very saggy.

Once done with the drivers side we reassembled and put it back on the floor.........

Using my special measuring stick expectantly, to see where the 2 inch lower than standard shocks n spring had taken us, I was shattered to find the front stood 2.5" higher than before. AAAAARRRRGGGHH !!!

At point it was getting to be dark, and Ian had cooked us all the spicy wings, which we ate directly off the fire/grid along with the sausage in hotdog rolls so we pushed the truck back into the garage till this morning, when Martin was back at my place by 07.45 (It is truly great to work with someone who gets up at a sensible time) My appologies to Martin's Amanda and my Nicola for having tosit around while we got down and dirty.

After Martin left I posted up threads on the Chevy C10 board and Garage Journal and Rods n Sods looking for advice. Much was offered.

So when we pulled the truck out this morning and jacked it up, I crawled underneath to inspect yesterdays fittings.

YUP..... The spring had not been located so after some grunting and adjusting, we dropped it down again and found the new height was 10mm taller than the old parts. PERFECT !!!

On to the passenger side, which took a lot less time to do.

By 11.00 Martin had left to go shopping, and I shut shop to get out and spend some time with Nicola who was waiting patiently for us to finish.

Next job will be getting the rear suspension sorted, possibly also replacing the lowering blocks.

couple of other observations on this job included non matching nuts and bolts keeping the suspension together, some very worn fittings and also front brake lines that need replacing sooner than later.

Shock absorber top mount bolt.

And lastly, the parts that came out.

Original springs cut down by a coil, giving 2" lowering.

I have been losing sleep the last few days about getting the the rear springs and shocks off the truck and the new ones fitted after our battle with Martins last weekend.

This week I used SAS20 penetrating fluid three times to get the nuts and bolts all oiled up.

Today I contacted Darren from Unit Engineering to offer him a 4 post, 3000kg lift for £200.00 but interestingly he had also bought one last week.

One thing led to another in our text chat and I mentioned tonight's projected job and anticipated pain.......

"I have a battery powered Rattle Gun you can use." he offered, so after work I went down to his industrial unit (large engineering shop) had a coffee, chat and guided tour of some of his toys. Then asked if I could buy some solid ally from him to remake my lowering blocks....... come with me he said and back into the engineering shop we went.......

"Here, have these"

So with Rattle gun in hand I came home.

After Martin and Ian got in we had a coffee, then I started the fire and handed over to Ian while Martin and I went to the garage.

Back end went up and Rattle gun came out........ EFFORTLESS !!!

OLD vs NEW

Springs and shocks removed

The shocks come with a variety of steel sleeves, and I needed to cut two down to make them fit. Then grind down the sides of the bushes a bit for a tight fit.

New parts fitted and locked down.

OOOOOHHHHH YESSSS !!!!

1.5" drop........ now that had my face hurting from all the grinning.

Not bad for 90 minutes worth of effort.

Checked the level with a spirit level and the load bed is flat straight.

Now I want 2.5" dropped spindles on the front to go with the drums......... Can you get dropped spindles to go on drums??

Next up, tomorrow morning we need to drive back to Martins place 15 miles from here to fetch the new front brake hoses from his truck as he is going Disc brakes next, and to get some fresh brake fluid, then redo the trucks front shock lower bolts as I bought new high tensile bolts this week, as the originals were badly rusted and one was too short.

Last thing will be a decent road test, and some daylight photos of the truck to show the current stance.

I hope all this has some way of helping you get to the bottom of your build Telly444
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
frankslagoon

Nice job boys. looks good. thanks for sharing.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
telly444

thanks as well. I decided to go with 1.5 blocks / 4 inch springs, new shocks, relocators, and all new bolts ect... ordered form CCP. excellent customer service and best prices I could find. next I will be rebuilding the front end.