The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Smokin86

Cranking, but not starting

Lets see if you guys can help me figure out what is wrong my truck. If the tilt column is in the uppermost position, the key acts like it won't turn all the way. The "one-click" down postion does the same thing. In the "two-click" down position and further, the key turns all the way and cranks. The truck will crank all day long, but never starts. I believe it is getting fuel b\c everything smells like gas after I crank it for a while. I'm gonna take the fuel line off of the carb and check to see if it squirts gas. Just to make sure. Anyway, the truck did this once before and I ripped apart the column to check the ignition switch at the base. Using a screwdriver on the slider, you could start it. Put the column back together, and it started fine. Now it is doing it again. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks

1986 Silverado with some things upgraded.

Currently living in Arlington, TX going to school.
Smokin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
Bowed

Sounds like maybe the actuating rod between the Ignition cylinder and the Ignition switch is bent.
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
Smokin86

the rod does have a bend in it. i noticed it when i had the column ripped apart before. how would i get it out? Thanks bowed

Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Grim Reaper

cranking and not starting but cranking are two different problems. Check the lingage and check to make sure the signal wires didn't get all hung up in the linkage.

The not start but turning over...check the choke and make sure it's opening. Check for spark. Check you fuses. If stuff is binting in the colum them it may have shorted some stuff out and popped the fuse.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
mhicks

Try adjusting the switch on top of the column under the dash. Sounds like it's not engaging all of the way. I think there are just 2 screws to loosen that will allow movement of the switch.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Smokin86

I have been tinkering with the truck this past week. It starts one day perfectly fine, but not at all the next day. I have adjusted the ignition switch at the base of the column to no ends. I couldn't get it any better. Now when the lock cylinder is turned, the linkage does not move at the base of the column. I must have knocked something loose. I have the column ripped apart right now. Still confused as crap. Probably gonna end up paying somebody 125 to rebuild the column. The guy says he rebuilds columns on the side. Anyway, sorry I took so long to update this. Been kinda busy with work.