The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
shortbed70

media blasting body

Has anyone had this done? I want to start fresh on the bed of my 65 chevy because we painted it after someone crashed the bed side and now previous body work has come back to haunt us. How much does it usually run to have this done?

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
Eddie H.

It cost me $1000 to have my 71 long bed GMC media blasted
and then sprayed with DP 90 epoxy primer.
( that's the whole truck, inside and out, not just the bed)
Old 02-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
imdarren

$1000 sounds about right for the whole truck.
The question is . . . . .
Do you really need to blast the whole thing?
If it has okay factory / original paint, it makes a good base by itself. It someone in the past has had a so so paint job on it, and you wan't to "do it right" and see whats under the paint to fix any possible problems, I would have it blasted. Just my opinion.

EDIT: I shoud have read your post better. You did say you had repainted it, and wanted to re do it right.

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super

Last edited by imdarren; 02-21-2004 at 01:52 AM.
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: media blasting body

Quote:
Originally posted by shortbed70 because we painted it after someone crashed the bed side and now previous body work has come back to haunt us.[/B]
I say go for it, no point in going over the bad work again.
You thought about having it dipped? Might be cheaper. (Might not...it's just a thought)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:07 AM   #5
super72bb

Ya I like the idea of having it media stripped down to the bare metal. A couple of things you may want to consider....

1) Media blasting is very good for stripping old paint but and base coats however, it will not remove all the old filler and rust. Make sure you go after the rust areas with a sand blaster. Chances are most media blasting shops will offer a final sand blasting for these areas.

*** (CAUTION!!!)*** If you choose to sandblast it yourself be careful not to blast big flat panels such as the middle of a hood or boxside. The chance of warping the panels is very good. If you have rust areas around the body lines and around the rockers panels you will be ok.

2) Be sure to take a rash of pictures of the bare metal. This is worth it's weight in gold if you ever want to sell the truck. It says "QUALITY RESTORATION" to whomever may be interested.

It always surprises me out of all the restored trucks out there for sale there are very few that have photos of this process.

Just my 2 cents

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #6
bigvinnie

Had my truck media blasted to bare metal for $600 a few years back, came out looking like stainless steel... I was quick to get it into the booth and spray it with ppg 1791 metal etch primer so it wouldn't flash rust....

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
shortbed70

See my thing is you cant find a complete bed side so I would like to start fresh and see what has been done incorectly. I sandblasted for years and the hummv made of aluminum are hard to blast with 145psi of pressure with a hose the size of a fire hose. I dont plan on doing my self because I did it for years and know how messy it is plus I dont have the facility to do so. The bed has alot of extra weight of bondo I want to get rid of.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #8
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Sand or media?

Media is great for doing a whole vehicle & not taking it apart. They can even do it with the glass & trim still on, but remove them for a better job. You still need to remove/grind/sand all rust and filler that the media leaves.
Sand is better for disessembled pieces. It takes off all rust & filler and leaves an excellent etched surface that primer adheres to very well. PPG recommends it for DP primers.
I often have beds (especially SWB expensive beds) sandblasted and primed before I sell them, so the buyer can see exactly the condition. The surprising thing is some guys don't want to pay any extra for that service. They compare these prices to beds that are not prepped and may have bondo & hidden damage.
I just lost a sale on a nice SWB fleet bed when the guy said, "I sure hope it isn't sand blasted, because that ruins them." I give up! Even though I use a commercial professional truck painting & blasting service, he was sure he knew more about it than I do.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #9
Low69CST

we use media blasting to remove all the old layers of paint down to the factory primer. If you have body filler you want removed you should stick with sand. Media is less abrasive and won't remove bondo or rust.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote