The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
rockman20
"The dude abides"

Back with a new toy

It has been ages since I have been here! I have had busy times. I had a baby boy who was around 3 months premature. He survived 3 and a half wonderful weeks. He passed away in October from necrotizing encreolitis. Hard to put a 2 pound baby in the ground.

Been struggling for a while, but things are getting better. I have a new little guardian angel up there who is always looking down on daddy and making sure he is safe. I'm pretty dang lucky!

Here is the update on the vehicles. My 82 may be up for sale soon. I just bought a 93 Chevy 1 ton dually. It has 208,000 on it. The transmission just had over 2 grand put into it about 200 miles ago. The engine was redone about 20,000 miles ago. The engine is the 454 TBI and it has 4.10 gears. It also came with a flip down gooseneck and a 5th wheel plate already installed. Electronic brake controller is in the cab as well. Pretty decent truck for the price. But it has it's hidden problems.

I got it home and had some marker light issues. Come to find out that the whole truck experienced quite a short at one time and fried a lot of things. So now I am on the lookout for parts. I need someone to tell me what years will cross. I am going to need the wiring connector and the headlight switch. I am going to need a new plug that plugs into the condensor on the air conditioning. I am going to need a new third brake/cargo light lense. Would like to find the oil cooler lines since they hacked those off. I will need a new drivers side headlamp assembly. Then there is this odd connector that I am guessing is for the computer. It is on the drivers side of the engine right by the starter. It looks like a temperature or a pressure sending unit. I will need that plug as well.

I would like to know what years/models these parts will swap. I know that the 90 Chevy 1/2 tons have the same looking headlight switch. If I can get an idea of what crosses, I can start searching the local yards.

Thanks for any info! I hope that everyone has been doing well! Later!

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Back with a new toy

Rockman, sorry to hear about your boy, may God bless him and you and your family. I am sure I speak for most everyone here when I say...glad you are back!

Hopefully you will sick around, even if you do end up selling your '82.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
pugs

I think i can say for all of us on this board, we are sorry to hear about your loss, and our prayers are with you and your family. Also just remember that when you feel down about thing, dont be afraid to talk top some one and get it off your chest, I did that and it helped me when my father committed suicide. Loosing a loved one is something i dont wish on anyone.It sure sounds like the 93 rig you bought needs alittle TLC and Im sure you will get all fixed up in no time. Good luck with everything and God Bless
Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Really sorry about your son Thats gotta be the worst feeling in the world!

As far as parts interchange, 88-94 should interchange for the most part.

The connector you need down under the engine by the starter is the knock sensor connector. You can find it on any TBI, or ESC V8, if you can't find one of those, the AC compressor uses the same switch up tops.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
rockman20
"The dude abides"

Thanks for the support guys. The experience that I went through is something that you wouldn't wish upon your worse enemy. It is very tough to handle, but through it all it definitely gives you a better appreciation of what you have around you. Life could be a heck of a lot worse.

Thanks for the heads up on the year swap. That will help quite a bit. And thanks for the heads up on what that sensor is on the engine. I was a bit baffled by that. I have never really worked on something this new. My 94 Honda has never needed any mechanical work.

All I can say is I love the truck even with the issues. For a 1 ton dually, that 454 with the 4.10 gears really makes it get up and move with little effort at all!

Here is a pic of the truck.
Attached Images

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote