The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

where does this wire go???

I need help fellas, where the heck does this huge pink wire go? My wiring diagram says it connects to the IDLE STOP SOLENOID, but where and what is that??? This burb is a wiring nightmare, and the problem started when I had it running, went to turn it off, and it wouln't shut off - so, to kill it, I pulled the PINK wire in the fuse block (ignition).

Now, the burb will turn over in the accessory and first position clockwise on the ignition. The starter stays engaged also. I've pulled my hair out, along with swapped ignition switch, starter, and put all the wiring back to the diagram configuration with the exception of this bundle with the pink wire.

The first picture is where the bundle comes out of the firewall. It's the bundle in the one o'clock position to the fuse block. Inside firewall all the wires connect to a relay, with the pink connecting to the "ignition" connection in the fuse block.

The second picture is what's left of the connection side of the bundle. I believe the other wires go to the TCS solenoid on the carb - but I've been wrong before.

PLEASE HELP!
Attached Images

Last edited by blazer72; 07-29-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: missing pictures.
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: where does this wire go???

Regulator and or the Alt feed wire? If the starter spins, but the motor will not start? There are some wiring schematics in the FAQs I'll go look and see if I can locate the wire and its purpose.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

I'm looking at the schematic. the 12 guage pink goes into fuse block (3C) but an 18 guage pink wire come off of the connected 3B. It goes to the transmission kickdown switch, is it posible that the switch is bad, causing an open/short.

There is the 20 guage pink that comes off the 3 block, but then splices into 2 yellow wires, one goes to the coil, one to the solenoid on the starter.

The previous mechanic had rigged some fusible link/junction block thing into these wires. He had diked the 20 guage wire off at the splice and left it disconnected, then he ran the 12 guage pink wire into one end, and ran two wires off the other end - one to the coil, and one to the starter solenoid.

But I didn't touch the wiring until I had a problem. So, what he had done worked (per say), and what I have done has produced the same results.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer72 View Post
I'm looking at the schematic. the 12 guage pink goes into fuse block (3C) but an 18 guage pink wire come off of the connected 3B. It goes to the transmission kickdown switch, is it posible that the switch is bad, causing an open/short.

There is the 20 guage pink that comes off the 3 block, but then splices into 2 yellow wires, one goes to the coil, one to the solenoid on the starter.

The previous mechanic had rigged some fusible link/junction block thing into these wires. He had diked the 20 guage wire off at the splice and left it disconnected, then he ran the 12 guage pink wire into one end, and ran two wires off the other end - one to the coil, and one to the starter solenoid.

But I didn't touch the wiring until I had a problem. So, what he had done worked (per say), and what I have done has produced the same results.

In the pict you posted, that is a red wire that goes into a couple of splices, one to the voltage regulator, alt and to the junction block. The pink wire goes from the key to?? and from the dash/panel to ??? I may be wrong, but the big wire is red (might look pink from fadind? The wire that goes to the yellow is a orange/purple rainbow looking color, not pink.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Here are the wiring diagrams i found.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Looks like the big wire goes to the junction block near the battery to feed power to the truck?

Check that, it is spliced to the wires into the Generator and into the alt as well, that is the main power feed.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
70rs/ss

Now I know why I was so confused!! When I copied the wiring diagram it looked like one big pict, but it was two so I only saved part of it. I found the missing pict and thus the pink wires!!
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

have you heard of an idle stop solenoid???
62 chrysler imperial (hell yeah)
55 and 56 chevy hdtps
72 monte carlo
Daily Driver:
86 S-10 Blazer (drive it til I die) and 71 long fleet
Projects:
71 suburban, 72 C-30 Dually, 71 Chevy LWB
Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

the 20 guage pink wire that splits into 2 yellow 20 guage wires (1 to solenoid, 1 to coil is correct, my 71 is wired that way to (factory). I have my 72 service manual, with wiring diagram and it shows pink also, I'm not sure where the purple/orange came from on this diagram - although, I will use it as it is nicer/easier in some aspects than my official 72 wire diagram.

Anyhoo, I can trace that 12 guage pink SOB from the switch to the fuse panel, than I lose it. It comes out of the firewall in a separate bundle - that's what's throwing me for the loop. I can't find that relay that the bundle plugs into on any diagrams.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
70rs/ss

Yeah?, (I think?) on an AC application?? Isn't that the part that bumps the idle up when the AC is kicked on?? If not, then I am at a loss? The diagram I pasted from another member is pretty clear, till you try to figure out where the pink wire on the inside plug goes to on the firewall side, it looks like the purple wire you were talking about, can that be right?? Now i am confused, looks like we are both going to learn something (that is when someone comes in and helps us both!)
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Antrobud

Maybr your in luck. Just finished pulling that same wire through the firewall myself just tonight and took a picture of where it passed through the firewall. getting dark earlier so was up browsing the posts when I came across yours so I ran out to the garage, underwear and no more, to take a picture of what it's connected to on the other end. Hope these help. I believe the one you're referring to is the one with the grommet on it, in the second picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Antrobud; 07-29-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Antrobud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
70rs/ss

Oh cow! I was looking at the red wire in the bulkhead plug and never noticed the wire above!! If that is the wire the OP is talking about I am sorry, I was focused on the red wire in the firewall plug!? It doesn't look like the schematic even shows the wire in the grommet?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

BINGO! I can't find that wire, or the bundle it's attached to, or the relay that the bundle plugs into above the interior fuse block in any diagrams. My 72 service manual says it's for the idle stop solenoid, but if its not a factory air truck, it shouldn't need it, therefore SHOULDN'T NEED IT!

In a last - ditch effort, I'm going to see if my wires are switched on my starter solenoid - but since the truck worked fine before the "won't turn off incident" I'm skeptical.

I can't believe this is kicking my ahole so bad.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #14
Antrobud

Here's a pic of the same red wire coming through the firewall, and where it plugs into the interior fusebox. Whether it has been jury rigged there or is in its correct position I can't confirm, but the truck was running fine prior to me ripping into it. This old beast also didn't have A/C. Good luck.
Attached Images

Antrobud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

ANTROBUD yes, that's it, but can you tell me what is goes to in the engine compartment. I see your picture on the previous post. Is that where all the power wires merge into that junction behind the drivers side headlight area??? I've never seen that contraption they're all hooked to in your pic. Mine have always been all soldered together. Much appreciated.

thanks for the help fellas. If you're ever in OKC - hollar - beers on me.

Last edited by blazer72; 07-31-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: misread
Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
70rs/ss

It looks like Antrobud has a Ford starter soleniod wired into his ride? The bundle meets over near the headlight and is soldered into a junction to feed several things under the hood. I don't have any of my truck near me to shoot a pict?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
cparman
sharp as a marble

buy one of these wiring diagrams
www.classiccarwiring.com
they are big laminated wiring diagrams, and they are in color. it will help for years
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote