The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Metalshapes

Keith seymore!!!!!

Keith, I posted this in the Blazer side and haven't got much of an answer yet, so I figured I would try my luck here.

Hey fellas, I acquired a '79 K5 that is 99 percent stock except for the headers and some cobbled up hack job of true dual exhaust that the PO put on. I want to go back with a stock layout so I need to know which side the "Y" pipe collects on, I'm thinking the drivers side because of the differential and front driveline. Also, in '79 did they have the dual exit behind the drivers side rear tire or was it just a single? Pics and advise are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
joe231

Re: Keith seymore!!!!!

Every Y I have seen is on the passenger side.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
f.monroe

Every Y I have seen on 73-87 trucks have seen comes down on the drivers side. The exhaust should exit with a single oval shaped tip on the drivers side.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
joe231

Maybe I'm thinking about the TBI trucks, or my memory has just failed me...
Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
Metalshapes

Wink Re: Keith seymore!!!!!

Thanks for the input guys, there will be pics and a restoration thread on the blazer side as soon as I have the time to put one together, but until then here's some teaser info: 83,000 actual mile '79 K5 blazer, Cheyenne, unmolested except for headers, and an aftermarket knobby stereo, 400, th350,np203, corporate 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear, 3:42. It even had the factory floor mats in it. All I have done to this point is maintenance items, brakes, tires, fuel pump, and working on sealing all leaks, it leaks every fluid it has, except coolant.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

Sorry; I usually hang in the pickup forum and if I happen to miss it as a "New Post" then it's gone.

I'll defer to these guy's expertise relative to Blazer/Suburban. I do happen to know for pickup the single exhaust went down the passenger side, and for 1980 it was switched to the driver side.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

These pictures are from 79. By the gas tank, this is a Suburban or Blazer. I'd say driver's side...

As far as switching the exhaust side in 1980. They started with the kink in the drivers side frame for catalytic converter clearance in 1975. Did they really switch the exhaust side?
Attached Images

'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho View Post
These pictures are from 79. By the gas tank, this is a Suburban or Blazer. I'd say driver's side...

As far as switching the exhaust side in 1980. They started with the kink in the drivers side frame for catalytic converter clearance in 1975. Did they really switch the exhaust side?
Nicely done.

The body drop photo is Blazer/Suburban (Line 2 - Flint), so I would agree with driver's side.

The small engine photo is pickup (Line 1 - Flint). You can see the side-saddle pickup tank sitting crossways on the rear of the frame rails, staged and awaiting its proper final installation. In the corresponding b&w photo taken from the other side of the line (photo #1 at Jeff's site -not shown here) you can see the RH side saddle tank already installed.

The pickup system I had in '79 went down the left side past the converter, did a funny U shaped crossover under the driveshaft front u joint and then completed its journey down the RH side. In order to install a true set of duals I simply purchased a 1980 system which went down the left side, eliminated the converter and tied the two respective rear systems into the appropriate exhaust manifold.

I don't see a tailpipe in photo #2 so I assume it is diving under the driveshaft and heading out the RH side as well. On the other hand, I don't see it in photo #1 at Jeff's website either, so perhaps it has not yet been installed at this point.

I trust that you scrolled down to read the insightful commentary below the photos at 73-87.com...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-09-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Metalshapes

I did and thank for the pics and info that will help a lot, I really appreciate it guys.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #10
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Nicely done.

I trust that you scrolled down to read the insightful commentary below the photos at 73-87.com...

K
Actually, I think I've had these photos longer than the insightful comments have been on Jeff's site. He coordinated an effort that some people donated to in order to get some paid research done by GM historical. We were looking for anything to do with the construction of these trucks. I was (and still am) very interested in anything that has to do with factory special edition trucks. The Gentleman Jim, Beau James, Indy Haulers, Sarge etc. It certainly is nice to have someone around with first hand knowledge of their engineering and production...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho View Post
Actually, I think I've had these photos longer than the insightful comments have been on Jeff's site. He coordinated an effort that some people donated to in order to get some paid research done by GM historical. We were looking for anything to do with the construction of these trucks. I was (and still am) very interested in anything that has to do with factory special edition trucks. The Gentleman Jim, Beau James, Indy Haulers, Sarge etc. It certainly is nice to have someone around with first hand knowledge of their engineering and production...
Probably not here (maybe via email or PM) but I would like to hear more about how you kicked off and funded having the research done.

I've had very little success getting any of my special requests accomplished even though I'm "on the inside" (so to speak).

Email is keith.seymore@gm.com

I'm about to donate to the Heritage Center some material relative to the creation of the H2 and part of my motivation is to use it as a bribe

K
1986 - 2019
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Keith, I'll send you a PM in a few minutes on the research...
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote