The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Should I be using washers or locktite on bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate?

I have searched everywhere in manuals and parts books, but don't see any reference to washers anywhere.. it just seems wrong to me, to just put the flywheel on the crank with no washers!?

and same for the pressure plate, that seems even more crazy since they are regular thread bolts and only like 20 ft-lbs tight (Gr.8 bolts of course) or should I pull everything apart and at least use some locktite??

I tried calling my local GM shop and they are useless, it seems all their mechanics only work with stuff that is 2007 and newer, and if you aren't taking it into them they don't care.

anyone have any knowledge of what i should do?

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 06-18-2008 at 08:08 PM.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
msgross

Re: Should I be using washers or locktite on bolts for the flywheel and pressure plat

I would use locktight, washers on a rotating mass could unbalance your crank.... just my opinion. Mine didn't have them on it when I tore it apart....
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: Should I be using washers or locktite on bolts for the flywheel and pressure plat

did yours have special bolt heads? like how head bolts look, with the bolt head that looks like it has a washer built in it like the photo.. I wonder if I need those or if my regular style grade 8 bolts will do.?
Attached Images

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 06-18-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Ackattack

I've also seen bolts that have the back side of the head/washer with a kinda serated edge, kind of a locking feature.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
msgross

can't remember... sorry. maybe someone else can chime in.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Blue_71
Bloo

all of them ive ever done have shakeproof washers on the flywheel. i think alot of people call them star washers

pressure plates normally have lock washers on them. if your using a 12" clutch though, make SURE that you use brand new washers; old washers have a tendency to spread out and will hit the clutch disc
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_71 View Post
all of them ive ever done have shakeproof washers on the flywheel.
I think I will look for these, I had a feeling it was the shakeproof style.. to me regular lock washers would unbalance my engine as they fit quite loose and something told me I need washers. (i think the motor spoke to me).

better off getting it 110% right on a $11,000 engine while it's out.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_71 View Post
all of them ive ever done have shakeproof washers on the flywheel. i think alot of people call them star washers

pressure plates normally have lock washers on them. if your using a 12" clutch though, make SURE that you use brand new washers; old washers have a tendency to spread out and will hit the clutch disc
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
I think I will look for these, I had a feeling it was the shakeproof style.. to me regular lock washers would unbalance my engine as they fit quite loose and something told me I need washers. (i think the motor spoke to me).

better off getting it 110% right on a $11,000 engine while it's out.
I just went through this a few days ago.....I called all over, GM said the newer stuff don't use washers.
I still looked for the star washers and ended up getting some at a local bolt supply, they were like what's in the picture. They were weak in comparison to what came off. The ones that came off were a spring steel type and bit thinner. (two had cracks) I tried to hold both styles in my fingers and bend with needle nose pliers. I was only able to bend the style above. IMO the style above are for light duty stuff, and I wouldn't trust them in a hight strength area. - They probably will flatten out anyway.

I ended up using red lock-tight and torquing them down with out washers.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 06-19-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
I ended up using red lock-tight and torquing them down with out washers.
I think you'll be fine regardless - they're not prone to coming out. Honestly, it's not that critical of an application

It'll take a little torch action to get them out, though :/
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
ChevyDude

My ARP flywheel bolts specifically say "DO NOT USE WASHERS". Torque to specs and you are good to go. No harm in using a little locktite.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
steelhorse

Use some loctite on the flywheel,extra protection even if you dont need it.most pressuse plates use lock washers
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote