The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
k1rodeoboater

A somewhat productive trip to the bone yard

I went to a you pull it place about an hour away from where my folks live today. The main reason I went there is my dad said they had an "old cars" section, and much to my surprise I found several 60's era C10s and one suburban. Most of them had been picked over pretty good and didn't have a whole lot to offer. I was able to nab a few wiring harnesses and some jeep Cherokee door stops for $5. We'll be going back to get a seat out of a 66 for $10 that is in great shape. We almost had the damn thing out but 2 bolts decided to be a PITA and rounded out on us. I'll be going back later this week to get that damn seat. I figured I may as well get an original seat, especially for $10, even though I plan on picking up a 69 GMC pickup seat to put into my truck.

On the next trip the goal will be to find a 73-87 C10 to pull a swaybar off of ($6), a brake MC w/proportioning valve & booster ($26), and the power steering components.

Now for the questions....what all do I need to get power steering in my 66? I have a 250 under the hood, and don't plan on swapping to a V8. I'm guessing I need to get the power steering box, rag joint, pump w/hoses, and the idler arm. Is there anything that I'm missing off of there?
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
rbar

Re: A somewhat productive trip to the bone yard

For a 70's style box you will need the frame adapter plates that you can get for about $60.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
k1rodeoboater

Well didn't get to the boneyard today, however I did find some stuff on craigslist that I got.

2 vent windows w/frames and no rust
1 instrument cluster with guages (I have dummy lights)
4 new drums, 2 with shoes and lines
2 painted bumpers (front and rear with brackets)
a box full of 3 or 4 wiring harnesses, switches, and misc other stuff

all for $120

I've sorted the box of wiring harnesses...and well...I'd not install any of it but there are plenty of salvageable connectors, switches, and one ignition cylinder with a key 4 without keys. Still trying to figure out what some of the stuff is, there's some stuff that is definitely aftermarket.

I also got ahold of a guy a few hours away from where I live in NC and he's got 2 doors he's gonna sell me for $200.

Last edited by k1rodeoboater; 12-21-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
dracko

Quote:
Now for the questions....what all do I need to get power steering in my 66? I have a 250 under the hood, and don't plan on swapping to a V8. I'm guessing I need to get the power steering box, rag joint, pump w/hoses, and the idler arm. Is there anything that I'm missing off of there?
you'll need the brackets to mount the pump on you inline 6. search around the forum, this topic has been covered many times.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
you'll need the brackets to mount the pump on you inline 6. Search around the forum, this topic has been covered many times.
captain fab !

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
k1rodeoboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
captain fab !
exactly the guy I was gonna go with too. Heard about him on a different forum that doesn't have near the traffic that this one does.

Has anyone put PS on an I6? Most of the conversions I have seen are done on V8's.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
dracko

Quote:
Has anyone put PS on an I6?
yeah the captain will definitely hook you up with a good high quality plate to mount a newer model (69-87 i think?) gearbox to the frame, but you will need factory brackets (or fabricated) to mount the pump to the inline 6.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote