The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2003, 06:06 AM   #1
MSL

Question Heating?

I hope you can help me with my heater. My truck orignaly came with a/c well the pump and all the stuff for it was gone when i bought the truck. so im figuring its going to be cheaper just to use a standard heater in the truck but the problem im having is what do i need to switch it over to get rid of the rest of the ac parts this is going to be something i do during the summer. but i need to know what do i need.?

Last edited by MSL; 04-24-2003 at 03:23 PM.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Without knowing exactly what components you do have and what you dont have, this is what I suggest you start with.
All you need is the heat only control panel and maybe the cables.
You can buy it brand new from your local dealer for about $30 (Atleast I could for my 1983).
You may need to change the plug on the back of the switch (heater blower speed) to fit the newer/different unit.
I had a hard time finding the plug, I ended up getting it out of a newer suburban in a yard.
You will probly need the cables that active the heater and defroster. But Im not sure about this, they may be the same, I dont know.
In factory A/C systems are the heater and defroster doors vacuum operated? If so I dont know if just a cable will work.
Your little vent doors ? (in the kick panel) are vacuum operated, by getting rid of your a/c control panel you will loose that. You could swap that over to manual style, as seen on trucks without A/C.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 04-23-2003 at 03:14 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Theres more to it besides just the dash switch. I was going to convert mine over to heat only, meaning everything. But, after seeing what needed to be done, I didn't feel it was worth it. The hole in the firewall is too big for the heater only box and would need to patch it. If you had the cab off and everything stripped out of the way it would be different.

I just took everything off I could and cut the AC box off flat so it wouldn't stick out as far. I left everything inside as it was. It all works just fine.

This is an old pic of how my box ended up looking.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
MSL

Ya it is all vacuum operated. my vents are not manual. but the thing is my heater defrosters actually most the stuff doesnt work. i only get heat from the bottom. My blower motor is shot and it blows little bit of air but when i switch to defrosters i get nothing. Also how did you cut the box and what did you use to cover it up. man i wished people would just leave well enough alone so when people like us buy the trucks it is all there.lol
Old 04-24-2003, 12:32 AM   #5
MSL

Also does anyone know where i can get a good pictured diagram of the heating system i dont know what supposed to be there or if its got parts missing.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
MSL

Well i sure could use some help on this heater thing. hey swervin how did you do the box.on the outside maybe i can send you mine and you could do it for me.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
PHOENIX

Do you have an LMC catalog?
If you do not I suggest you get one atleast for parts reference. Its a very illustrated catalog with alot of diagrams and information.
www.lmctruck.com
It is free!

This catalog will give you a great idea of what is required for heater only models.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I marked it off straight and used a jig saw to cut it. I glued a piece of metal over this. Then after everything was dry, I used some undercoating to cover it all. Then painted it.

Looks a ton better than the box sticking out in the way.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #9
MSL

Ya i have a LMC catalog i will check it out more in detail. so you just cut the box and glued a metal plate sounds pretty easy i will have to try it.