The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
HumbleChevyBuddy

Frame repair estimate

So, now that I know I have some frame damage I need to get it fixed. It's causing all kinds of alignment issues and I'd rather just get it fixed. Does $75 to check the alignment and $50/hr to fix the frame sound harsh? Also, what happens during this process? Do I have to remove the front clip? Engine? Etc? Sorry to be so ignorant about this topic, but I've never dealt with frame damage before.
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Frame repair estimate

got any pics of the damage may help to see the damage
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
HumbleChevyBuddy

It's a little hard to take pics of the actual damage, since I've got the whole body on it. However, I know it's a little off because my driver's side body mounts line up just fine. My passenger side, however doesn't. Starting at the core support, the bolt is off-centered (to the left) within the frame support bracket. Also, my front passenger wheel sits in about 1-1.5" inches further into the wheel well. Based on the PO, they hit a curb on that side. They had to replace the upper ball joint because of the damage. I couldn't tell with the previous wheels it had, but once I put the new wheels on and lowered it up front, you can REALLY tell. Here is a diagram of what I'm talking about. Let me see if I can get under there and take some pics of the area on the lower part of the frame I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by HumbleChevyBuddy; 09-24-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added actual photo
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

We charge 2 hours to set up and measure, and 2 hour minimum for repair. Our flat rate in our shop for frame repair is $65 per hour. Has not changed that much since the days we just went with dollar amounts on frame repair, usual minimum charge back then was $225 (talking about the late 80's and early 90's there).
Frame damage behind the control arm mount and back the next few feet is very difficult to fix. Doesn't matter on an old square body frame or a newer 2000 something model truck, it is just a hard spot to fix.

And no, you do not want the sheet metal off during the frame repair. Goes back to the basics of, "pull to specs, then pull to fit". Can't see if it fits without the sheet metal in place.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.

Last edited by RandyP; 09-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
HumbleChevyBuddy

Do you all think it's worth even fixing it? Or should I just leave it like that and get an adapter for the wheel? I'm not trying to build a show truck. I just want to make it look clean and even all around. I'm sure I can get it aligned after I put a wheel adapter on there, anyway.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

If they are willing to try it or give you a good guesstimate after they gauge it on the machine, and it'll cost you less than $300, I'd get it fixed. Otherwise, your call totally. Bent frame in the front will cause dog tracking and alignment issues, as well as other problems.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
scsindust

Even after it is fixed, the alignment issues will still be there? My 89 Burb had a bent frame in the front, but i haven't gotten the steering alignment checked yet, since i've had it straightened, because it tracks pretty good. Just curious.

Last edited by scsindust; 09-24-2010 at 09:49 PM.
scsindust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Anytime you have frame damage around the suspension mount locations, or behind that area, you should get an alignment after it is repaired. It's just good business to do that and you might save some tires.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsindust View Post
Even after it is fixed, the alignment issues will still be there? My 89 Burb had a bent frame in the front, but i haven't gotten the steering alignment checked yet, since i've had it straightened, because it tracks pretty good. Just curious.
No, if the frame repair is done right, it should be back to factory specs, so you should not have any alignment issues that arise from frame repairs.

M
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

I totaled a frame on my last 87.. bent it about 45* at the steering box... other stuff got jacked up... went down to pick and pull... found a nice frame out of a truck that showed no body damage... look for flooded or fire damaged truck... bought the frame, front suspension for 125... did the frame swap with a cherry picker, friends and a weekend.
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
nbpro
Account Suspended

Front end alignments are something I used to push when I was a service writer. Some tire warranties will default if you don't have proof of alignment maintenance. Was a big selling point for me. Made good commission lol.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
3r!c84
Badass

i think i may have a bent frame then too? mine dog tracks and we put it on the alightment rack and it said the rear end was off 3% so we loosed up the bolts beat it around tighted it up till it was at 0% and driving behind my truck it still looks like its dog legging?

never been in a crash or anything. no bent frame from what i can see.
idk im at a lose of ideas.

but thats my problem lol

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90

Last edited by 3r!c84; 09-25-2010 at 12:01 AM.
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
i think i may have a bent frame then too? mine dog tracks and we put it on the alightment rack and it said the rear end was off 3% so we loosed up the bolts beat it around tighted it up till it was at 0% and driving behind my truck it still looks like its dog legging?

never been in a crash or anything. no bent frame from what i can see.
idk im at a lose of ideas.

but thats my problem lol
Did you check to see if the rear axle was at a slight angle?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTEZ View Post
Did you check to see if the rear axle was at a slight angle?
Probly a stupid question but how would I do that?
Posted via Mobile Device

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

I got one that needs repair, estimate 300-500 here. Yes get it fixed right then no worries, IMO
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
Probly a stupid question but how would I do that?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had rear alignments done at the tire shop before. If your axle is further forward on either side it will cause your truck to track at an angle.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
camshaftgsxr

I say frame swap if you have the ability and access to a cheap replacement frame, but it's just my opinion. My truck has been hit up front as well (by a car) and mine wasn't that bad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

I would definitely repair that. The estimate you posted is not unreasonable. I'm from south Texas and here's how body shops work when they figure an estimate to pull/align your frame: They will charge a set-up and measure time (generally 1.5-2.5 hrs here in south Texas). This charge is to hook it up to the frame machine and take measurements and compare to factory specs. Then they'll charge a pull/align charge where they'll actually pull and align frame to get it back to specs.

Down here in deep south Texas frame rates are a very reasonable $45/hr, I believe in the Humble area they are a bit more (but not much more) expensive. The area of damage on your frame is a common area that bends on frontal impacts on these Chevys. Judging just by the photo you posted, it will take at least a couple of hours to get it right.

I certainly wouldn't swap frames at this point. I'd get it repaired because yes, you will definitely have wheel alignment/body alignment issues. Get it done right. Any shop with a decent frame machine/measuring system can do this. You may want to shop around for body shops, and I'd lean towards a good independent shop as opposed to a dealer's body shop. Independents may charge less. You can also request a printout of the before and after frame readouts. In fact, you may want to ask for a current frame readout to see just how bad it is.

The shop can definitely commit to an exact price on frame repairs because the readout will tell them/you where exactly the frame is bent and exactly how far it is bent. They can tell you how much labor is needed to straighten it. Sure, the unexpected may pop up, but that would be on a very rare occasion.

M
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

By the way, there is no such thing as a rear-wheel alignment procedure on a straight axle truck like this. The ONLY thing a shop can check is the thrust-angle. So don't let a shop charge you for a rear wheel alignment for it. Unfortunately, some shops have been known to charge for a 4 wheel-alignment on these types of vehicles.

M
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
By the way, there is no such thing as a rear-wheel alignment procedure on a straight axle truck like this. The ONLY thing a shop can check is the thrust-angle. So don't let a shop charge you for a rear wheel alignment for it. Unfortunately, some shops have been known to charge for a 4 wheel-alignment on these types of vehicles.

M
Well that's what I call it because I don't really know what else to call it. The guy who had it before me snagged a curb doing 60 with the passenger rear tire. Which twisted the axle out of alignment. Setting the passenger rear wheel 1 inch behind the driver side. They charged my $35 dollars to loosen it, straight it up into spec and tighten it back down. Solved my rear tracking issues. Some people just dont realize that tracking issues can come from the rear axle too....

Last edited by MONTEZ; 09-27-2010 at 07:35 AM.
MONTEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #21
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Thumbs up Re: Frame repair estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTEZ View Post
Well that's what I call it because I don't really know what else to call it. The guy who had it before me snagged a curb doing 60 with the passenger rear tire. Which twisted the axle out of alignment. Setting the passenger rear wheel 1 inch behind the driver side. They charged my $35 dollars to loosen it, straight it up into spec and tighten it back down. Solved my rear tracking issues. Some people just dont realize that tracking issues can come from the rear axle too....
Sure thing, MONTEZ. I know what you mean. What they did to your truck is exactly what would need to be done in said situation, and you got a good price for it, too.