The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
kansasc10

Bearings Showing on Steering Column

As you can hopefully see in the pic below, The bearings on my steering column (red arrow) are showing and Im not sure if its something that I should be worried about. Im assuming that the bearings arent supposed to be showing but cant find a good enough photo of my exact steering column to tell for sure. Anyway to adjust the placement of the bearings? Is the spring below the bearings supposed to hold everything up in to place? Im just not sure where to start or what to replace without having to replace the entire column. I just replaced the gearbox and the wheel feels tight and working like it should. I guess I'm more worried about the safety aspect.
Thanks.
Attached Images

kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Bearings Showing on Steering Column

Try taking the steering wheel off and tightening the big nut in there to raise up the column and bearings
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Sammys70

Here's mine.
Attached Images

Sammys70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasc10 View Post
As you can hopefully see in the pic below, The bearings on my steering column (red arrow) are showing and Im not sure if its something that I should be worried about. Im assuming that the bearings arent supposed to be showing but cant find a good enough photo of my exact steering column to tell for sure. Anyway to adjust the placement of the bearings? Is the spring below the bearings supposed to hold everything up in to place? Im just not sure where to start or what to replace without having to replace the entire column. I just replaced the gearbox and the wheel feels tight and working like it should. I guess I'm more worried about the safety aspect.
Thanks.

The spring puts a pre-load on the bearing and holds it in place. Can you push the bearing father up into the mast jacket or does it seem like it is up as far as it will go....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The spring puts a pre-load on the bearing and holds it in place. Can you push the bearing father up into the mast jacket or does it seem like it is up as far as it will go....

LockDoc
I tried to push it up in there by hand and its tight...wouldnt go up any. I was thinking of giving it a light tap with a hammer but didnt want to damage anything. I can try to tighten the screw under the steering wheel if you guys think that will help. Is there a seal of some sort that is supposed to sit between the bearing and spring?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasc10 View Post
I tried to push it up in there by hand and its tight...wouldnt go up any. I was thinking of giving it a light tap with a hammer but didnt want to damage anything. I can try to tighten the screw under the steering wheel if you guys think that will help. Is there a seal of some sort that is supposed to sit between the bearing and spring?

It should push up easy by hand if it is going to move. I'm wondering if maybe someone put it in upside down. Give me a minute to find a picture I posted in another thread.....

LockDoc

-
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Read through this thread. there is a picture in post #5 that shows which way the bearing goes in....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471499

LockDoc

-
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Read through this thread. there is a picture in post #5 that shows which way the bearing goes in....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471499

LockDoc
Thanks Doc. Thats a possibility thats its on upside down. Ive ran into some "what the heck were they thinking" issues on the truck in the few weeks Ive owned it.
To me the bearing looks to be halfway in/out. If it was on upside down, do you think it would go in at all? If its NOT upside down, I guess my only other option so far would be to try tightening the nut under the steering wheel. Unless anyone else has any ideas....

You guys are great, thanks for all the help.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
kansasc10

Ill try to take some better pics of the bearing and post. I was actually taking that pic of the master cylinder when I noticed the bearings.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
kansasc10

Sorry to bring up an old thread but today I was getting ready to remove my steering wheel to replace a turn signal cancelling cam and before I took off the center nut I noticed that I could pull my steering wheel and shaft out about 1/4 of an inch or the width of a 3/8 socket extension (I happened to have one in my hand at the time and it would fit longways in the gap)

At first I thought the nut was loose so I tried tightening it but its as tight as I could get it. SHould I have that much play in my column? If not, is the bolt in the pic the correct one to adjust the play I have?

Name:  column (1).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  57.6 KB