The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
braggwood

front shock relocators?

I have drop spindles and new drop shocks for the spindles, I am now installing air bags and have made a set of shock relocators that give an extra three incnes, will this work or should it be different? Is there a standard measurement needed for shock travel with bags. Thanks, Greg
braggwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: front shock relocators?

You shouldn't need drop shocks because of spindles. Spindles do not effect the position of the control arms, only the mounting point of the wheels in relation to the rest of the truck.
As far as "shock travel", you need to be sure that it does not limit the travel of the control arms. The bump-stops should be limiting up and down travel, the shock should have at least the same travel.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
braggwood

What about air bags? They sell shock relocators for the front and rear, trying to save a few bucks by making my own.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggwood View Post
What about air bags? They sell shock relocators for the front and rear, trying to save a few bucks by making my own.
Every truck is different. Do you need them? Only you can answer that question & it's going to require measuring.

Set your truck up @ ride height % measure the distance between the upper & lower shock mount holes. Repeat the process for the fully deflated & extended heights (be sure to write your measurements down).

Now take measurements of your shocks: fully extended & compressed (divide these measurements by 2 to get your middle shock-stroke length).

Compare the required shock length @ 'ride height' vs the middle shock-stroke measurement. Compare the extended & compressed measurements too.

Let us know what your numbers are.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
braggwood

Thanks Scoti, that is what I was thinking, I dont have my front bags on and the back ones are not plumbed yet. Might have been getting ahead of myself but I was thinking about grinding and welding with the bags off. I can do the same with them on, just keep the sparks away. Greg:
Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggwood View Post
Thanks Scoti, that is what I was thinking, I dont have my front bags on and the back ones are not plumbed yet. Might have been getting ahead of myself but I was thinking about grinding and welding with the bags off. I can do the same with them on, just keep the sparks away. Greg:
I would do the shock relocators once you have everything mocked in place.

I tried to plan/work ahead when I built mine & it's bit me in the arse twice now. First time was because I used the ART specials (Monroes ) for my measurements assuming the actual shocks I planned to use were the same dimensions (since they were both front replacement shocks for 68 C-10's). Once I got the new shocks on (Bilsteins) I found out they actually had 1.5" more compressed height which altered the distance for middle shock stroke @ ride height.

I remade the mounts 1" taller & they were correct . . .... then I swapped to a Dropmember. Now I get to re-make the uppers again
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote