The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
brandon-n-lisa

What one thing would you do to engine?

A question to everyone:

If you had a stock 350(already Elec. distrib.) with a three on the tree tranny, what is the first thing you would do to the engine to increase power or make it run better?

- B -
brandon-n-lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
GenIIIShorty
JUNK COLLECTOR!!!!!

headers, no question.
GenIIIShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Jwill41

I would just give it a good tune up and drive it for a while to see how it acts. Then, well, where do we start?

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
cdowns

good tuneup and synthetic oil in engine tranny and rear end
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
brandon-n-lisa

Good idea with the synthetic oils, already changed the plugs and wires, flushed rad. and all that jazz. I just changed the oil last week and wish I had thought to put synthetic in it. Haven't even checked on the tranny or diff yet. I'm glad you mentioned it!

I was thinking about putting in those splitfire plugs or something like that when I changed them, but went ahead and put plain ole plugs in. Anyone know if those splitfire, or platinum, or super duper whatchamacalit plugs are really worth the extra money?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I would put an HEI (oops just reread your post) distributor in it if it has not been converted yet. Save your money on the plugs...I have never noticed a difference in gas mileage or plug life on any engine. I would also check the compression on each cylinder to see what condition the engine is in. Do the 60 pt. (or whatever) safety check. I would grease the u-joints. Check the brakes, front and rear and change the brake fluid. Everyone, including me, wants more power but it is best to make sure you have rock solid running gear, brakes and engine before you go for the extra ponies!

Headers, dual exhaust and Flowmasters next...it will sound bad and will free up the exhaust.

You have 3 on the tree! How bad can you be? Those things take forever to shift and, for the most part, are worn out and get stuck between gears...how embarassing is that after a big one wheel burnout? Been there and done that...LOL! I would be looking for a TH350 conversion next.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
masterbeavis
Having issues

If you want more power after the exhaust upgrades, a new cam could add alot of "zoot"

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #8
Deuce

TPI.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 AM   #9
tomatocity

I agree with GIIIShorty. The headers are a permanent increase in HP though expensive if you buy the correct headers. Don't buy 'cheap' headers. Get the ones that meet the performance and longevity expectations and this included coated inside and outside. You can do a lot with the money you spent on headers but not all of what was offered was permanent. A tuneup only lasts so long.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #10
masterbeavis
Having issues

TPI is nice :P (not tbi. tPi)

Old 08-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #11

Let the engine BREATHE. Exhaust, intake, then a small cam (comp 262 extreme seem to work great in our trucks), roller tip lifters to help eliminate wear on the valve guides. Then get rid of as much BS weight as you can(tool box, etc.) My 2 cents.
1969 C10 Long Step,355,700r4w/lockup, HEI,Weiand,750 Performer,1.6 rockers,Camel Humps,Comp 262Extreme,Hedman,2 1/2"pipes, tele/tilt,SunRoof,ps,Disc pb,ac,Cragar,eaton,Corvette style roll pan, Bowtie louvered tail gate,lowered 2/2.
355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #12

I ment roller tip rockers.
1969 C10 Long Step,355,700r4w/lockup, HEI,Weiand,750 Performer,1.6 rockers,Camel Humps,Comp 262Extreme,Hedman,2 1/2"pipes, tele/tilt,SunRoof,ps,Disc pb,ac,Cragar,eaton,Corvette style roll pan, Bowtie louvered tail gate,lowered 2/2.
355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Zonaman

Assuming it's well tuned, Fuel injection.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

If we start with the assumption that there are no maintenance or repair needs; I agree on the headers.

A quality set of headers with the proper exhaust has no downside (except a possible noise increase.. but then.. is that a downside?)

*Correct* exhaust with good scavenging increases power, mileage and the engine will run cooler. Cheap headers *can* cause other problems so get something worth paying for.

Most (small block) motors can't use as much air as a stock 4bbl provides so unless it isn't working right, a carb swap or a swap to injection, probably won't buy you much (though a swap to injection will, almost without exception, buy you reliability.)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
bigjimzlll

Think about where and what your goals are. It really suks when you make a mod..then 6 months later go in a different direction and buy parts again...and again...and again. Make mods that will work with your overall future plans.
I would start with ignition and charging.
Then an intake,carb and exhaust change.
Then drive train..ie tranny and posi/gears.
Internal engine mods..should be addressed when freshing of the engine is required.
Compression ratio ..cam..and heads will make the biggest performance gain but if you have put quality bolt ons(as above) then you can bolt those on the fresh bottom end.

try to only spend your hard earned cash once for a part...not like me..lol

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I want a BLOWER 4 mine
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

NAWS, NAWS MAN! who cares, even if your engine blows blue smoke and is only firing on two cylinders, the Blue Bottle will fix all that when you press the button and warp through time! I'm serious! Have you ever seen fast and the furious...it's true!

edit: sorry, that was garbage and I forgot to post my true answer to your question.

I have heard it over and over again, headers are the best single thing you can do to an engine apparently. However, I would want a lopey cam, even if it didn't increase power, it would sound cool.
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW

Last edited by MandarinSixSeven; 08-08-2005 at 04:18 PM.
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
matthufham

headers, and improve the intake with an edlebrock performer manifold. flows much better than stock, and is a daily driver style intake.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #19
see ten
WTB this ad

Take the fan off the engine and replace it with an electric fan. You will gain power and mpg. Every vehicle in our yard has an electric fan from flex a lite.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #20
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

MAF TPI (not speed density)
Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #21
Gary

Well when I got my truck the carb was shot, so I started with a nice aftermarket intake that was geared towards and idle-5500 rpm sweet spot, and a new holley 750 with elec choke. I then added headers and a new HO alternator (all except the headers polished chrome for that bling bling effect).

I'm trying hard to gear the motor for a heavy and powerful low rpm/mid rpm power band since that's where 95% of the driving occurs. Next project is a mild(er) cam than what's in there and a posi rear end swap, well next AFTER I fix the (factory?) air. The cam in it now was put in by the last owner and everyone agrees, it's a bit wild for the motor I'm trying to create.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #22
masterbeavis
Having issues

MAF TPI is more prone to sensitivity from vibration and whatnot Ive been told. Besides, doesnt it look cooler when the air cleaner is mounted directly to the intake without any pesky MAF sittin in the way?? :P

Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #23
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
MAF TPI is more prone to sensitivity from vibration and whatnot Ive been told. Besides, doesnt it look cooler when the air cleaner is mounted directly to the intake without any pesky MAF sittin in the way?? :P
I had an 87' trans am for awhile bfore i couldnt afford insurance anymore. it had TPI with the MAF sensor and it went bad all the time 200 dollar part not a nice thing on a shallow wallet. everytime it went bad i got one from a junkyard though for 20-50 bucks. all it really is is a lightbulb filiment in a 3 or 4 inch tube. so yea they break easy.

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #24
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

Pull it out and stroke it!

Once you have a solid bottom end the rest can be done in the truck and played with. If you go and redo the bottom end later all your other mods will probably get redone later also!
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
brandon-n-lisa

Well, it sounds like headers is the first thing I should do. I'm not looking to build a 600HP engine, but I like a lot of the ideas I am hearing here. I really like the idea of the electric fan.

The motor seems to run really strong and smooth, although I have not run a compression test or really gone any further into it other than taking off the valve covers. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to be running a little rich and I just haven't got around to adjusting it yet. I think the first thing I am going to do is headers and a dual exhaust. I think this motor has about 45,000 from when it was rebuilt, but that is going purely by whatr the previous owner said. I think after the exhaust, I will look into a more performance oriented intake. I am not too sure about the whole fuel injection idea. I knwo that it would result in more power, better economy, and reliability, but I just like having a carb. Don't ask me why, I just do.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far.

- B -