The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
MidLifer

Power steering bleed taking forever

I just got done doing a front end overhaul - new control arms/ball joints/tie rods/idler/pitman. While doing that I also replaced the power steering lines. I did the steering work with the lines off, and in doing so, pretty much all of the fluid puked out of the box. The box was dry for a few weeks while the truck sat and I was installing all the steering stuff.

I got everything back together and have been doing the bleed procedure as described in the many threads I have read on this topic (raise wheels, turn lock to lock). I've been through 5 or 6 cycles of this, and have gone through a bottle and a half of ps fluid (note that a lot of this was puked up through the pump with air bubbles). The box is no longer growling, but I'm still getting air and there is still some pulsing resistance in the steering. Still seeing foam in the fluid and hissing out of the pump when I get done with the procedure.

I do not see any evidence of leaks anywhere in the system. I would assume that if air is getting in, fluid would be getting out.

Is it normal that bleeding out the air should take so long? Most of the threads I've read say that it should only take one or two cycles.

Am I looking at a new box/pump/both?
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: Power steering bleed taking forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
I just got done doing a front end overhaul - new control arms/ball joints/tie rods/idler/pitman. While doing that I also replaced the power steering lines. I did the steering work with the lines off, and in doing so, pretty much all of the fluid puked out of the box. The box was dry for a few weeks while the truck sat and I was installing all the steering stuff.

I got everything back together and have been doing the bleed procedure as described in the many threads I have read on this topic (raise wheels, turn lock to lock). I've been through 5 or 6 cycles of this, and have gone through a bottle and a half of ps fluid (note that a lot of this was puked up through the pump with air bubbles). The box is no longer growling, but I'm still getting air and there is still some pulsing resistance in the steering. Still seeing foam in the fluid and hissing out of the pump when I get done with the procedure.

I do not see any evidence of leaks anywhere in the system. I would assume that if air is getting in, fluid would be getting out.

Is it normal that bleeding out the air should take so long? Most of the threads I've read say that it should only take one or two cycles.

Am I looking at a new box/pump/both?
Mine acted like that when I replaced the box/pump/lines. Turned out the reman pump was junk. I put my old one back and it works fine, bled out in about 4 lock-to-lock cycles.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
MidLifer

Thanks for the reply. This is the same box and pump that was in the truck before I started this project. The gear got turned a few times during the install of new steering parts, and puked a bunch of old fluid out. Never ran the pump w/o fluid in it. Only backed the truck in and out of the garage and didn't turn the wheels more than a few degrees. That's what is so mysterious about this.

Will give everything a good brakleen bath tonight and make sure there are no leaks, and go from there.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
knomadd

Is the engine running when you're cycling from left to right? Try cycling it lock to lock about 10 times (more if you're still getting air out) before firing the engine again. Is your fluid "foaming?" If so, you'll have to let the "foam" go away before continuing. Come back another day if that's the case. Also, if you let the fluid get too low and suck in some air, then you'll have to start all over. It's a PITA, but that's the only way I know how to do it. I've done it twice over the last three years to 2 different vehicles. About to do it for a second time (third overall) on my truck tonight, assuming I get it to stop leaking.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
MidLifer

Haven't tried it with the engine off, will do that tonight. Will be a good workout I guess cranking the wheel around with no power assist.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
SS Tim

Needs to be engine off to clear the air. So jack it up and slowly work it back and forth topping as required to keep it full. Once it seems to be filled and not going down then start the motor with the wheels still of the ground. At that point it should be sounding pretty good if so then again turn the wheels a few times to finish chasing bubbles out. Do not turn to the stops! If it foams much at all you need hours for the dissolved air to naturally purge. Lower and test drive after verifying fliud level.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
MidLifer

It worked - thanks Tim!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
LSUMurse

Mine seemed fine and then a week later it was half empty. Just check it once in a while for the next couple weeks.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote