The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
Truckstr

Arrrrgh! Timing COVER problems!

I feel like a total loser right now.

I've built a lot of engines, but I made a rather BIG boo boo .

First, I start working on the ignition, then the headers, then... well... first thing ya know I'm replacing the oil pan and installing a two-piece timing cover.

So far, so good.

So I get everything painted and shined up. The new two-piece timing cover from Summit will allow me to change out the cams without dropping the oil pan.

Man, I'm psyched.

So, I get the new oil pump and timing set and and the first piece of the timing cover (with the lip) and the new one piece Fel-Pro oil pan gasket on and install the harmonic dampener and...

The cotton pickin', dad burn %$#@ harmonic dampener interferes with the face of the timing cover!

No, the inertia ring on the dampener didn't slip. I used a tool to install it... NOT a hammer.

Sorry. It's late and I'm tired and frustrated and I feel like an idiot for not checking to see if the thickness of the new timing chain cover was the same as the old one.

The old one (as best I can measure) is 1" thick off of the face of the block. The new one is 1-1/8".

Arrrgh! I need a drink.

Heeeelp!

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:00 AM   #2
dream68

No truckstr, your not a loser. you have just done something that the rest of us have done probably 2 or three times.. sometimes we get so excited, we dont think. so have a drink and get to bed, it will feel better in the morn....

Just an ole time truckin idiot!
Jim G.
dream68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Truckstr

bttt

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Truckstr

bttt

One Last Time.

Please, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
bigjimzlll

one more thing to look at..do you have a short water pump?

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
Truckstr

Thanks for replying bigjimzlll.

Yeah, I have the short water pump. I checked it. It clears.

I hate to change back to the one-piece timing cover - even though I have a nearly new one handy. I've thought about dinging in the timing cover to get that 1/8" clearance back, but I hate to dent up a new cover. Knowing my luck, I'd dent the dumb thing in too far and make it interfere with the timing chain.

Sometimes ya just don't have good luck.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-11-2003, 07:30 PM   #7
Alexis
Member since 2000

going to take a shot at this.....

i really have not done this but i was thinking about it. since there are different size harmonic balancer thingys should the timing cover be universal? also are you sure you got the right timing cover, do you have another one of the same type to compare it too? just my .02
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #8
Truckstr

Alexis,

Yeah, it's the right cover. Apparently it's just a "Made in Taiwan" piece of junk.

I'll call Summit on Monday and see if they'll take it back. In the mean time, it looks like I'll be pulling the oil pan back loose and installing another one-piece cover.

Rats! I sure was looking forward to being able to change cams out without having to drop the front of the oil pan.

I know that some guys have trimmed the ends of the tab that goes into the lip of the front of the oil pan so that they didn't have to have a two-piece timing cover. It's just that I hate oil leaks and all of them, that I've seen done like that, leak.

Anybody got any other ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
bigjimzlll

comp cam makes a sweet one..its like 230.00... but its a nice piece.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:46 AM   #10
Stroker

Truckstr, I think you might have lucked out. I have used the cover I believe you are describing and it is a POS! The one I used would not seal at the bottom. After the engine was fired up the oil started running out in a steady stream. Had to plug the leak up with a heavy bead of RTV to finish the cam break-in since the engine was already on the run stand. I'm going to try Comps 2 piece stamped aluminum cover hopefully I'll have better luck this time around. I've since heard from a number of people who have had the same problem with the Summit 2 piece cover, I'm really suprised they would sell such a pile let alone put there name on it. Good luck.....Stroker
Old 01-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #11
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Truckstr:
I bought the back half of one of those 2 piece covers - I was in a local hotrod shop & saw the back half on the shelf. I asked if they had the front half & they said no BUT they thought I could mabe make the back half work with my current stock cover. I took my stock cover from my '68 327 & ground the pan seal flange off. I installed the back half like you ordinarly would install the cover, then I just siliconed the modified stock cover to it & bolted it in place. It was ez & it did not leak. I havnt done any cam swaps with it but it's nice to know it's there. Hope it works out for ya - good luck.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #12
Truckstr

Stroker,

Well, if what you say is true, and if Summit doesn't take it back (and, according to their "warranty", they probably won't), then I'll still be "ahead" since I hate leaks AND big globs of RTV silicone. I. too, am surprised that it didn't bolt up properly. Rest assured that some lucky Summit rep is going to get an ear full on Monday. I'll be nice, but frank.

-----

passthebuck,

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm going to have to do some dimensional checks before I ruin a good timing cover.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
Vince M

I kinda had the same kind of problem...I bought a one pice polished unit from Summit that also was made in a foreign country. I had interference with the water pump. I ended up grinding some material off the back of the pump to help but I still had to use really thick gaskets to clear the cover. If I was to do it all over again I would just send it back. Obviosly the quality is not there and it should be compatible with all the other components. Summit won't give you any hassle. I sent lots of stuff back without any. You sure don't want to jury rig the installation and end up on the side of the road someday. It's not worth it.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:49 PM   #14
Stroker

I've returned a few item's to Summit and they always worked out something to make me happy, hopefully that will be true in your case too. My summit cover is laying in a corner of the garage I never bothered to try a return. Maybe I'll make a good deal to someone who doesn't mind the RTV.

Quote:
I'll still be "ahead" since I hate leaks AND big globs of RTV silicone
Amen!!! I'll second that....Stroker