The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Gibbelstein

From 3/4 to 1/2 ton

OK, i tried searching, but maybe I just didn't search for the proper terms, so if there is already a thread please let me know. But...

I was in the salvage yard today looking for stuff for the '69 1/2 ton, and I saw a '67+/- 3/4 ton. My truck has manual steering & brakes, and I was wondering if I could take either/both of them and slap them in mine (hopefully somebody has done it and can tell me what to expect?). Mine has clolumn shift and the one in the yard is auto, but the booster bracket *looks* long/high enough that it won't interfere. I was just gonna try to take everything (bracket, booster, master cyl, prop valve, lines between them, etc). But if there is a problem I haven't thought of, please let me know.

The power steering stuff, however seems like more of a risk to me. I don't mind making a bracket to mount the pump on (since mine is a 250, and the one in the yard is a small block, but I don't know how similar the steering setups are on the 1/2 and 3/4 trucks.

If anyone has a link to a write up, or suggestions from experience, or just a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks, Chris.
Gibbelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
matt67350

Re: From 3/4 to 1/2 ton

Try this:
http://www.earlyclassic.com/tech.asp...20Front%20Susp

Good luck,
Matthew
matt67350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
Gibbelstein

Cool link, thanks. All of the pictures and descriptions kind of gave me a more vehicle specific view of things.

However, I was looking more for a do-it-yourself (read cheapass) way to do it. It's not something I NEED, it's just something I would like to have on there.

I should also note that the brakes on the 3/4 are drum, so I would only be swapping for the power portion, and keeping my drum brakes intact. I think my first post was kind of misleading.

Thanks again.
Chris
Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Take the booster,m/c and the rod from the pedal to the booster. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a new m/c (so cheap there's no reason not to). Heck you can even use your current m/c just unbolt it, move it out far enough to mount the booster. You may not be able to use your stock breather with the booster in place.
The power steering should be the same from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. The hardest part is finding the brackets to mount the pump to a 250.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
truckster

if you can find a service-type van in a wrecking yard, some of them had 250s and power steering up through the mid-80s somewhere.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have also been told that alot of Nova's came with the 6 and the power steering pumps will work.I have not found one to try so I relly hope it works.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Gibbelstein

Thanks for the suggestions. I had been looking for anything w/ an I6 in it, but so far no go. I hadn't thought about the nova bracket, though, so I might look out for one of those. I suppose anything with an I6 and PS should work, unless they had to locate the pump somewhere else for some reason.

Hmm, more to think about.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Gibbelstein

Also

While I am inquiring about this stuff, I was wondering about the booster. The little tap/nipple that is on the front of the booster is missing (where the vacuum hose attaches). I think I have seen this piece at the parts stores. But if it is missing, does that mean that the booster is trash? Is the diaphragm in there supposed to be connected to the nipple?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
geology rocks!

It might be fine. I picked up a booster from a bone yard and got the valve and rubber grommet from checker. It was under $8 and the booster works great.

Last edited by geology rocks!; 10-19-2005 at 06:25 PM.
geology rocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
Gibbelstein

Cool, thanks.

Cool, thanks. We had done this on our Camaro a couple of years back, and I thought I remembered a tag (it was newly reman. out of a box) on the nipple that said it wouldn't work if removed. (Maybe they just meant I'd have to put it back in first? ) But I knew I had seen them hanging on pegs in parts stores.... Maybe it has to do with the remanufacturing process... and maybe they were just jerking my chain.

Any-hoo, thanks.