The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Ekliptix

Input: Holley Sniper EFI Vs FI Tech

I'm in the market for an EFI retrofit kit. FI Tech has been around for a couple years, with good initial reviews but the support has apparently gone downhill, plus the fuel system (Fuel Command Center) has had mixed reviews.
http://fitechefi.com/products/40003/

Holley's Sniper EFI system was recently released. $1000 for the EFI system, or $1,250 with the in-line fuel pump.

Bronze colored version, love this one: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/550-516K

There does not seem to be any reviews on the Holley system so far, but I'm curious if anyone sees any weak points of the Holley setup including the fuel system. I plan to use the current in-cab fuel tank, and I expect I'll have to run a return back to it, or employ the stock return line if there is one. Long term, I may install a rear fuel tank with an in-tank pump.

Thanks for any feedback.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 11-08-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: Input: Holley Sniper EFI Vs FI Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
I'm in the market for an EFI retrofit kit. FI Tech has been around for a couple years, with good initial reviews but the support has apparently gone downhill, plus the fuel system (Fuel Command Center) has had mixed reviews.
http://fitechefi.com/products/40003/

Holley's Sniper EFI system was recently release. $1000 for the EFI system, or $1,250 with the in-line fuel pump.

Bronze colored version, love this one: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/550-516K

There does not seem to be any reviews on the Holley system so far, but I'm curious if anyone sees any week points of the Holley setup including the fuel system. I plan to use the current in-cab fuel tank, and I expect I'll have to run a return back to it, or employ the stock return line if there is one. Long term, I may install a rear fuel tank with an in-tank pump.

Thanks for any feedback.
Biggest issue with using the in cab tank is the lack of baffles or a sump. So, with 1/4 tank, you will turn a corner and lose suction, lose fuel pressure, and the engine will stumble.

Can't speak for the Holley setup, but they usually do stuff right.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Biggest issue with using the in cab tank is the lack of baffles or a sump. So, with 1/4 tank, you will turn a corner and lose suction, lose fuel pressure, and the engine will stumble.

Can't speak for the Holley setup, but they usually do stuff right.
Am I correct in saying the potential for 'sloshing' and temporarily losing fuel pressure with an in-cab tank applies to both mechanical fuel pump, or an in-line electric pump? It's not a problem I'm currently suffering from, so I don't anticipate my cornering will increase after the EFI kit.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Lattimer

Quote:
Am I correct in saying the potential for 'sloshing' and temporarily losing fuel pressure with an in-cab tank applies to both mechanical fuel pump, or an in-line electric pump? It's not a problem I'm currently suffering from, so I don't anticipate my cornering will increase after the EFI kit.
Correct, but your carb has a built in fuel reservoir in the float bowl, so you never notice the temporary loss of fuel when the pickup is uncovered. FI needs constant pressure and has no reservoir, so the pickup needs to be always in the fuel.

I've been kicking around modifying a stock pickup to work with the Holley hydra mat to hopefully eliminate the issue. Don't know how well it would work though.

The fuel reservoir that FITech uses fixes the issue, but I keep reading about issues with those. Edelbrock has had a similar fuel reservoir out for years, but I haven't been able to find whole lot of info from people who have it.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Bigdav160

You can tee into the suction side of the pump for the return
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
snj8198

I purchased FITech's 30002 system. As objective as I can be:

Quote:
the support has apparently gone downhill,
The support did not necessarily go down as much as it was never there. They were ill prepared for their product sales numbers to hit the levels that they did. This small start up company did as any new market entry company does, they got their product to market as soon as possible to generate working capital before they were staffed appropriately for customer service. They did not have their information channels addressed to alleviate live customer service needs i.e. detailed user set up and tuning manuals and/or effective web based tutorials. They also grossly underestimated sales numbers at their sub $1,000 market entry point. I'd like to see how they estimated projections.

Quote:
the fuel system (Fuel Command Center) has had mixed review
Yep, it sure does. However, an inline fuel system can be plumbed almost as easy as the install of the FCC. I used a Walbro 255lph 60psi in line pump with the LS inline regulator/filter, basic Summit Racing push lock hose and fittings and I'm into the whole fuel system brand new about 2/3's the cost of the FCC price. I think too many people viewed plumbing a proper fuel system as too difficult compared to the FCC easy bolt on alternative (scare tactic marketing at it's best). Too many fell for the FCC hype and it unfortunately failed many users, but one can't punish the EFI for the FCC failure. Plumbing a fuel system is just too easy anymore, especially with today's components.

As for stock in-cab tank slosh issues: so far no issues with mine down to the 1/8 fuel level but I would expect fuel pick up issues with a car or truck that is hot rodding and cornering hard. I am using my stock tank temporarily til i build my flatbed then I'll install a proper 40 gallon efi tank under the bed.

Name:  20161108_110624.jpg
Views: 6908
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  20161108_110608.jpg
Views: 6680
Size:  48.2 KB

Last edited by snj8198; 11-08-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added pics
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
I purchased FITech's 30002 system. As objective as I can be:

The support did not necessarily go down as much as it was never there. They were ill prepared for their product sales numbers to hit the levels that they did. This small start up company did as any new market entry company does, they got their product to market as soon as possible to generate working capital before they were staffed appropriately for customer service. They did not have their information channels addressed to alleviate live customer service needs i.e. detailed user set up and tuning manuals and/or effective web based tutorials. They also grossly underestimated sales numbers at their sub $1,000 market entry point. I'd like to see how they estimated projections.

Yep, it sure does. However, an inline fuel system can be plumbed almost as easy as the install of the FCC. I used a Walbro 255lph 60psi in line pump with the LS inline regulator/filter, basic Summit Racing push lock hose and fittings and I'm into the whole fuel system brand new about 2/3's the cost of the FCC price. I think too many people viewed plumbing a proper fuel system as too difficult compared to the FCC easy bolt on alternative (scare tactic marketing at it's best). Too many fell for the FCC hype and it unfortunately failed many users, but one can't punish the EFI for the FCC failure. Plumbing a fuel system is just too easy anymore, especially with today's components.

As for stock in-cab tank slosh issues: so far no issues with mine down to the 1/8 fuel level but I would expect fuel pick up issues with a car or truck that is hot rodding and cornering hard. I am using my stock tank temporarily til i build my flatbed then I'll install a proper 40 gallon efi tank under the bed.

Attachment 1588140

Attachment 1588141
Thanks for the well thought post.

I keep going back and forth on what I want to do with my truck. I like the idea of fuel injection for all of the obvious reasons. The biggest one is to auto compensate for when the AC compressor kicks in. I already have a nicely re-plumbed fuel system in the truck with Earl's hose and AN fittings throughout.

Maybe I read too much, but I have heard of a lot of issues with stock tanks and external fuel pumps, fuel starvation below half tank, etc.

My truck is set up to drive aggressively. Its in no way a pro-touring truck, but it corners well and I like to drive it hard.I don't want to be constantly worried about losing fuel. Things like that bother my OCD----even if it isn't real it will stress me out.

I don't want a new tank, I like the nostalgia of the original in cab tank. Plus I don't want to lose the space under the bed, and I don't want to deal with the hole from the old filler or setting up a new filler that doesn't also drive me nuts.

Yeah----I'm hard to please.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Overdriven

There were a couple of other FI Tech install and review threads on this site and they were pretty favorable. Do a search and I'm sure they'll come up.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
There were a couple of other FI Tech install and review threads on this site and they were pretty favorable. Do a search and I'm sure they'll come up.
I've read them here, and the reviews on other sites too. I would have gone with FI Tech, but with the Holley option available at a good price now, I'm leaning hard to Holley for the reputation, experience and support infrastructure.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

There are several FI units on the market. Atomic efi, msd and others. I ran across an ad for Fuel Tech just the other day. I hadn't heard of that one. It looks much like FI tech and holleys units.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
Ekliptix

From what I know, FI Tech has been the only option in the $1000 price range for a couple years. MSD, Atomic EFI, etc are all more expensive, again, from what I know. Holley is the first big-name option at the $1,000 price point.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #12
Lattimer

Quote:
From what I know, FI Tech has been the only option in the $1000 price range for a couple years. MSD, Atomic EFI, etc are all more expensive, again, from what I know. Holley is the first big-name option at the $1,000 price point.
Thats true. The others are significantly more costly. At 2X the cost of a good carb, I can feel ok buying FI. At 6X-----I have a hard time with it.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
clay68c10

Can't give any info on the systems, but I have some experience as far as running the stock fuel tank with efi. I had a 68 with a TBI on a big block, I used the stock sender to feed a Holley pump under the cab and never had a problem with fuel starvation. I would fill up around 1/8 tank usually. I drove it like a hot rod.
My Cadillac is TBI, it has a large flat fuel tank and I had to sump it, it would suck air at anything less than 1/2 on normal tuna boat type driving.
The shape of the tank makes a huge difference.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #14
LEEVON

I'd say it's a coin toss at this point, but FiTech has been on the learning curve for awhile, whereas Holley is nowhere to be found yet. I have some insider information from Comp Cams (Holley) that they just aren't staffed to handle the new product at all...or any new products for that matter. It kind of shows if you look at the lack of marketing they did with Sniper. FiTech support has not been bad for me. They are busy, but available and mostly helpful. I have some thoughts on the last couple pages of my "Popeye" build linked in my sig. Fuel concerns are going to be the same for any FI system. You need 58psi at the rail, reliably, period. Anything you do will need a return.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
blf

For whatever it's worth, I just ordered the FiTech Go Street setup. I went back and forth on the Holley or the fancier FiTechs, but ultimately liked the $795 price point, didn't see myself using timing control, and liked the idea of going with something that'd been around a while.

I also emailed FiTech a technical question on a Sunday afternoon and heard back that night. They were super helpful... that sort of pushed me over the edge to them.

I am putting in a Boyd's tank with the Aeromotive stealth pump and plumbing the whole thing with AN so my fuel system should hopefully be very solid. I thought the FCC seemed like a hack, was worried about loud inline pumps, and just wanted to get rid of the gas in the cab.

I probably won't get to do the install until December when I have some time off so more to come.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
For whatever it's worth, I just ordered the FiTech Go Street setup. I went back and forth on the Holley or the fancier FiTechs, but ultimately liked the $795 price point, didn't see myself using timing control, and liked the idea of going with something that'd been around a while.

I also emailed FiTech a technical question on a Sunday afternoon and heard back that night. They were super helpful... that sort of pushed me over the edge to them.

I am putting in a Boyd's tank with the Aeromotive stealth pump and plumbing the whole thing with AN so my fuel system should hopefully be very solid. I thought the FCC seemed like a hack, was worried about loud inline pumps, and just wanted to get rid of the gas in the cab.

I probably won't get to do the install until December when I have some time off so more to come.

Does that system handle boost?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
MLB57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
The terminator does not sure about the sniper
Posted via Mobile Device
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
MLB57

Holley tech support has been excellent 45 minute hold time but they were very helpful and patient. Used them twice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
I think you have to go to one of the "power adder" ones:

http://fitechefi.com/products/30004/
Old 11-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Input: Holley Sniper EFI Vs FI Tech

I have no dog in this so here is what I can tell you.

The MSD unit sucks if you have a big block with any power!

A friend had it installed before the 2016 Hot Rod Power Tour. He went through several hand helds, computers and even the throttle body itself while on the tour.
They 'MSD' where there the whole week and not one time did they offer any real help. Except to swap parts. His truck was out in front of their tent every day for 7 days. They never could tell him what was wrong just swap parts that never fixed it.

As of last week it's sitting in his garage waiting to have the carb put back on it and trash the EFI unit. They will not replace anymore parts and blame his vehicle for the problems.
He is out over $2000.00.
Just a word of caution if you have a lot of HP. His is right at 500HP.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
MLB57

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
MLB57

I installed the Holley terminator using the stick tank. The 72 has a fuel return in the sending unit that has worked great had a concern about it only being1/4 and they wanted a 3/8 for there system. Have not had any fuel starvation issues so far and ran it down to less than a 1/8 of a tank. Check out the Holley forum people are starting to post the sniper installation issues and reviews on it. Only thing that I can suggest is to use a single plane manifold or be prepared to use a spacer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #23
Ekliptix

Found a guy who switched from FI Tech on his Chevelle to the Holley Sniper: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...ed-fitech.html

He likes it, but didn't really say what the reason for ditching the FI Tech was except that the performance was inconsistent. He says the Holley seems to require the key partially turned to prime the system before it'll turn over, ever time. May be just hi situation, not everyone's. He says the Holley learns faster.

And FYI, the gold color unit from Holley is not available yet. I called them after ~20 minutes on hold and spoke with "Scooter" at Holley.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
RRR18

Ttt. So which is best? I know the differences in the time each system has been out has lot to do with it. FiTech is easily available now and Holley has about 1 month delay.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #25
GR8-68

https://www.amazon.com/Holley-550510...TFSPCJKQAYBEFM

No wait if you buy it at Amazon

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote