The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Sealing The 350 While It's Out

Had a cryptic message from a friend offering me advice on my build. Part of it was, "...Yeah, I'd just reseal the 350 and drop it back in".

When I started to clean it up today, it showed some signs of juicing. Not much, if any, up front. But I've chased oil leaks before to the point of just about slittiing my wrists.

Problem #1 is that the motor is out and on a stand. So I can't clean it up, start it up, and then look for ooze, drips, spurts, or torrents.

Easy enough to make sure...or "try" to make sure.... the oil pressure gage's point of attachment at the back of the block near the intake manifold is tight and right.

But, although most of the "juice" seems to be coming from that area, the whole motor, with the exception of most of the intake manifold (especially the front is clean), has either a "sheen" on it, some stains from 19??, or sort-of streaks. The oil pan was downright greasy.

If anyone has advice on where, what, when, or how, including any tips, I'm all ears.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
jrdv

Re: Sealing The 350 While It's Out

I'm curious too. I need to pull the sb 400 out of my 71. We built it around 1990 and it leaks oil front, back , and side. I only put around 50,000 miles in 20 years, but it has sat for a bunch in the last 10 years.

I will probably go for a repaint and use Felpro gaskets. I would appreciate the tips from the experts also. I have replaced rear main seals before ( with the motor still in ) and valve cover gaskets, and timing cover gaskets, and they still leak eventually. Of course, I've been messing with old trucks long enough to know that they will leak sooner or later!

john
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
treveiger

Im going to pull out my 307 soon to reseal it(leaking out of the timing cover and among other places)and am wondering the same thing. There was a guy with a 66chevy truck at a car show and he built the motor 20 some years ago and hasnt ever had a leaking problem and am wondering what he did right lol.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
mr48chev

Well, if the engine is already on the stand why not take the time to really clean, reseal and detail it? It will take a few hours an a few dollars worth of gaskets seals and paint but will be a spiffy and sharp looking engine when you are done and put it back in the truck. If the engine had some miles on it I'd pull the timing cover when I had the pan off and check the timing chain and gears to make sure they were in good shape. You can usually peek in from the bottom and see if you have any slack in the chain to be worried about.

I finally broke down and bought a pair of "fabricated" aluminum valve covers that have the thick rails and after seven years of fighting leaks solved about 99% of my valve cover leaks. The chrome one s will go to the next swap meet and be someone Else's problem.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well, if the engine is already on the stand why not take the time to really clean, reseal and detail it? It will take a few hours an a few dollars worth of gaskets seals and paint but will be a spiffy and sharp looking engine when you are done and put it back in the truck. .....
Right on the money. So, besides the timing cover, what do you suggest? Valve cover gaskets, Oil pan gaskets, rear main? The fuel pump. What else?

Thanks much. Any tips besides the "what"? would be appreciated. Looks like it would be appreciated by me and a few others.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote