The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
trenda

Cutting Heckethorn/Rough Country Springs?

Hello to all who possess greater knowledge than I,

I am working on getting my 82 LB Fleetside into a reliable long hauler. (It has a 350 crate engine with good oil pressure and a whiney sm465 which I will eventually rebuild.)

The truck had 33x12.5/15 tires, which I have replaced with 235/75r15 Goodyear Wranglers. PO installed a 3 inch leveling kit from Heckethorn/Rough Country (3 inch longer coil springs in front, 1 inch lift blocks in back). I would like to remove the rear lift blocks and cut 1.5 inches off the front springs which would keep me in the shock travel limits and lower the truck down closer to OEM height. (Plus, the price is right!)

Does anybody know if I can cut these particular springs without screwing up the suspension?

BTW I love all the two tone paint jobs I see over on the Pics thread here. Definitely the way I will go once I resolve the rust issues on the body. I have 15 years to get this thing in shape for my grandson (or 18 if my granddaughter takes it!)
Attached Images

trenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Cutting Heckethorn/Rough Country Springs?

I didn't realize Heckethorn was affiliated with Rough Country. Anyway, I know guys cut coils to lower, so you should get away with that. But I would thing the spring rate and compression qualities are proper for the length they are now. Might want to consider just going with stock springs. You may even find someone wanting what you have for a trade deal

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
trenda

Re: Cutting Heckethorn/Rough Country Springs?

Thanks for the advice.

I am retired and my younger daughter is trying to bankrupt me with law school tuition bills. So I have more time than money at the moment. I'll probably cut the springs and see how they work before I invest in new springs and new shocks to match them.
trenda is offline   Reply With Quote