The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
muscletruck

smoggin her bye bye bank account

hey guys and gals.... well... i was hoping to get some "help" today when i took my truck to get smogged today...but my buddies shop can't "help" people out like that anymore... haha... so i said, aite...what do i need to get... keeping in mind my trucks motor was stripped of EVERYTHING!!!! oh man.... i hate emisison crap.... so new smog pump, air pressure lines, egr manifold, charcoal canister, lkjflkjweklj.... haha... i love life.... i priced out a few things... about 200 for the smog pump, lines out of the manifolds, and pressure checks valves (im gonna need alot more)... and something else... minding that i am going cheap... god bless GM but there prices are sick... so ya im just venting my frustrations on you guys... i hope everyone has a better day than ive been having... adios!

78 Crew Cab Dually
454/TH400, Dual Flows, Edelbrock Intake, Cam, Lifters, Billet Grill, K&N Airfilter, Grant Steering Wheel, A/C, soon to be power windows and locks, lots of plans for this...

....gas prices go down please
muscletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

I am glad that I dont have to worry about that stuff, lol.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
KShortell

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged81
I am glad that I dont have to worry about that stuff, lol.

Not yet...
Old 04-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
muscletruck

fgdasfg

ha...thanks jeff

78 Crew Cab Dually
454/TH400, Dual Flows, Edelbrock Intake, Cam, Lifters, Billet Grill, K&N Airfilter, Grant Steering Wheel, A/C, soon to be power windows and locks, lots of plans for this...

Old 04-30-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Man, do not buy that garbage new. Goto a junkyard and yank it out. That would be the biggest waste of money to buy all new emissions equipment. I bet you someone here on the board has a ton lying around that they ripped out that would send you it for free. Minus shipping of course.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
muscletruck

hmm

no new stuff huh?...mmk... ill look around...anyone have any stuff??? ill buy it off ya... i need pretty much everything, pump brackets lines intake you name it....

78 Crew Cab Dually

Old 04-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
shavedchevy

Emissions????? Whats that????
Old 04-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
mhicks

smog

Sell it and get one that is exempt.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
muscletruck

ok

thats it... im moving to canada

78 Crew Cab Dually

Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
85Silverado

I just got mine smogged...it's a '78 3/4 ton...i walked into the office before I got in line for the bays and a lady came in and I asked her what I had to do about getting my truck emission tested..and she looked at me dumbfounded and I went on to proceed to tell her the year and all the info about the truck and told her it wasn't built with any emissions equipment..and she said no that can't be...someone just took it all off...you had it...you'll need to get it put back on...i went and asked why i would need to put it on if the truck wasn't built with it and she just said cause it won't pass the requirements without it...i was like that's bull****...where's the manager....she said he's just gonna tell you the same thing and took me to his office and I sat down with him and was very curtious and told him my situation and what she had told me and he just looked up at her and glared at her and then pulled out the book they have...have no idea what it's called but apparently tells the equipment every car and truck should have and told me the only thing my truck should have on it is a pcv valve...i told him..ok..thank you and asked do I just drive it through now or do i get some kinda exemption, he said just drive it through..the limits are high on these trucks and you shouldn't have a prob passing and i drove through and passed.

HC 3.7 Limit 4.0
CO 40.4 Limit 60.0
NOx 2.97 Limit 6.0

So I was a happy camper.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #11
elwood
Keep it gangsta!

In my past experience, I had a Ford F-150, all of the emissions stuff was stripped by the previous owner, the smog people told me to go replace all of it or it wont pass. So I rigged up a charchoal canister and various sprinkler hoses to the carb up under the air cleaner. Needless to say it was pretty much non-fuctional, took I through and it passed!

It's old school, but moves along nicely...

'78 C-20 - SOLD
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
TIMSPEED

Hmm..I thought, that with big trucks (Aka: Crew Cab Dually's) they didn't actually have any smog equipment till like mid 80's? I'm almost CERTAIN your truck didn't come from the factory with a Catalytic Converter, and without that, it's really pointless to smog your truck. If I were you, I'd call up your local Beaurua of Automotive Repairs, and ask to make an appt. with the Smog Referee for your county. I took my truck to the county smog referee up here, and he couldn't have been nicer on telling me exactly what I DID need and what I DIDN'T need.
Come to find out, my truck was equipped with a Dual-Diaphragm EGR Valve, which was SPECIAL ONLY to the 75 ½ ton 350 4bbl trucks. I called EVERYWHERE and NO ONE had even HEARD of such a thing. So, turns out, the Dual-Diaphragm is IMPOSSIBLE to get anymore, so I got an exemption for my EGR valve, which in turn basically gave me an exemption for all my smog equipment sans Catalytic Converter. Needless to say, I passed with flying colors.
BTW: Sorry for the long post, just trying to help ya out.
Here's some helpful links for ya...
BAR Financial Assistance for Smog
Smog Check Referee Information
Old 05-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
muscletruck

cooool

THANK YOU!!!! ill give em a call see whats up.... thats cool.... if things bust when i call them.... i may still need parts so keep this post in mind if you any one has smog parts they are willing to sell

78 Crew Cab Dually

Old 05-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #14
muscletruck

according to 73-87.com

For 1978, all C10/15's with GVW's under 6,000 lbs have converters regardless of engine. All other '78 models (i.e. Big 10's/Heavy Halfs, K10's, C/K 20/25/30/35's)had GVW's over 6,000 lbs, and therefore did not use converters. EXCEPTION: For 1978, all California models with GVW's under 8,500 lbs had cats. Therefore, this California exception included ALL and ONLY 10/15/20/25 series vehicles, including Big 10's/Heavy Halfs.

so if my truck iis from cali i should have cats.... but i dont have cats and i have stock exhaust pipes... no sign of cutting or welding.... i guess ill check the history of the truck somehow... this is so much crap....im gettin a bicycle

edit:
wait...i have a c30.... DUH....

78 Crew Cab Dually

Last edited by muscletruck; 05-01-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #15
Grim Reaper

I stripped all the emmisions junk off a used motor I bought to put in a pre emmisions vehicle. The only thing I could sell was the mix solonoide Quad. I could not give away the ESC and the AIR junk including good mainifolds with good air pipes for the cost of shipping. I got sick of tripping over the manifolds and air pump and all the control solonoides and assorted junk and threw it out.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote