The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Gumby'sC20

Lug conversion - What does it Require?

My truck is a 3/4 ton 2wd rig. I want to do a lug conversion because I want to build what most consider a 'street' truck (This includes a faster drivetrain - dont need the 3/4ton torque figures, and need the ability to get LOW as well as a wide variety of 5 or 6 lug Wheel options ).

When it comes to a rear end I require a lower gear ratio as compared to the 3/4 ton rear-end's 70 mph top speed [from what I've experienced so far] (paired with the Muncie 4). I believe I will be able to source a bolt-up 3.63, 67 C10 Coil Spring rear end with a 6 lug pattern. If this bolts right up that will solve the rear lugs.

As far as the front...how would you go about doing this?
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Re: Lug conversion - What does it Require?

Do you want to to go 5 or six lug? Yeah if you want to go low anyway get you some drop spindles. From there you will be able to either get 6 lug rotors through LMC or go to a junk yard like i did and get you some 5 lug rotors off of one of their trucks. I got my rotors for 20 dollars and got them turned for another 20. Rotors through LMC will cost about 120. 73 to 87 will use mostly 1 inch rotors and 88 to 98 will use inch and a quarter. When you order your spindles you will need to tell them if you plan to use 1 inch or 1 1/4 rotors. Let me know if you have any more questions

Last edited by jbristo67; 02-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.
jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Gumby'sC20

Sweet, sounds simple.

I was planning on getting drop spindles anyways to keep the front suspension geometry (camber, toe etc) the same as stock when dropped. I think they're well worth their price and do alot for the truck.

What I didn't know previous to you reply was that the actual brake rotors also included the vehicle's front lugs. Now that I know this, a lug conversion is going to be extremely simple. And btw, I did get an answer on that 3.63 rear-end and it was still available and I went ahead and purchased it. Gotta love craigslist.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby'sC20 View Post
Sweet, sounds simple.

I was planning on getting drop spindles anyways to keep the front suspension geometry (camber, toe etc) the same as stock when dropped. I think they're well worth their price and do alot for the truck.

What I didn't know previous to you reply was that the actual brake rotors also included the vehicle's front lugs. Now that I know this, a lug conversion is going to be extremely simple. And btw, I did get an answer on that 3.63 rear-end and it was still available and I went ahead and purchased it. Gotta love craigslist.
so are you going to go five lug or 6
jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Gumby'sC20

I will be going 6 lug. The 3.63 C10 coil rear end I am picking up Saturday is a 6 lug.