The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
TDogg490

To clear the air..

i currently own a 1967 chevy c10 with trailering arms and all i do is read about you guys putting bags on these trucks. I've looked at all the pictures and forums and all... but im curious about a few things.
1. i went to ***************** and even talked to jason. How hard exactly would it be to put bags on this truck? i know the fronts are easy, but for the rear, do i need to fabricate a bracket?
2. about the panhard bar... do i need a new Super Trak bar like the one from Early Classics? should i get a shock relocation kit too?
3. is it honestly a direct replacement of the coils? i see the bottom just bolts but in that little tutorial picture thing, is it just the holes i need to drill in the top?(for the rear)
4. how low is this thing going to get??? its a daily driver, so i dont exactly need to be laying frame.....YET....
5. what problems are going to need to be addressed? i figured im already gonna have to cut my exhuast to exit before the rear wheel - and other problems i might run into?

thank you for any/all responses to this thread
TDogg490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

check out this thread to see how low it should get.That is apparently without a notch or drop spindles,nor did he relocate shocks (I don't know how effective they are as he hasn't said).As for being a direct replacement for the rear springs....damn near.If you go with the firestones,they have a single mounting hole in the bottom that will work for your trailing arms.You will have to drill two or three holes in the frame though to mount and have access to the air port.That's all there is to mounting the back ones.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
ricecop425
carl

yah i got my crap from suicidoors, drilled some holes and bolted it right up, at ride hieght i am so close to my orginal ride hiehgt i figure i dont need a new panhard, even thought i have already boughten one, which i will end up putting on. i already have aftermarket gas shocks not sure one the part number, but it rides nicely at 60 psi.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
TDogg490

cool, thank you for all of that. Question - what size are those tires? i have some chrome rally wheels on smaller tires so im wondering how that might affect the stance... also, you mentioned that you cut an inch off the cups - is that hard? when i talked to jason, he said that the plate for the upper front bag mount is just flat so you can only go that low - would it be hard to fabricate an upper cup to get that bag farther? sorry to bother you but i want to get my homework done before i jump into it. finally - how fast is it? i was looking at the 4th package, with 2 tanks 2 compressors, same vlaves. i was wondering if that mgiht not be necessary...
TDogg490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

K I'm editing my post cuz I musta had my head up my butt when I first read your post .You're asking if it's possible to fab up a cup for the upper plate to recess the bag further into the upper spring mount right?I'm not sure that would work (without some serious fabrimacation that is) cuz the bag is a fair bit wider in diameter than the spring and I don't know that there would be room for it.As you know, that bag cannot ever rub on anything in it's range of motion or you will receive a nasty little surprise some day.Honestly,if you wanna lose that extra bit of height,I would bite the bullet and pick up some drop spindles and be done with it.You asked how hard it is to trim off an inch of the lower bag cup.Not hard at all.Just set your tri square at 1",mark a line around the lower end of the cup,and hack with you chosen weapon.I used a grinder with a zipcut.It's a bit slower but it produces a very straight clean cut and I get my zipcuts for free so expense doesn't apply in that case.As for the speed,hopefully Ricecop will post to let us know cuz mine isn't up and running yet.I got the #1 package with a couple of minor upgrades and Jason figured it would get it up (so to speak) in a second or so.If that's at all accurate then the kit you're lookin at should put you in a low orbit before you know it!
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics

Last edited by Rollie396; 03-01-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

Don't be scared of doing the rear. There are some pics of the holes you need to drill in my FAQ.

The bottom of the rear bag is a single bolt, just like the factory springs. One of the board members got some rear bags that had two mounting holes on the bottom instead of just one and had to fabricate a bracket. So just check with whoever you buy them from (Jason at Suicide should be helpful) to make sure they are a single mounting hole on the bottom.

I can't be of any further help because all I've done is mount my bags. Hopefully when I get my income tax refund I can get that mutha rollin'!