The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
BurnoutNova

my 71k10 project *** pics

it been a slow process to get started on this thing, ive had the truck for about 3 years, and bought it woth the intentions of redoing it. but then i daily drove it for like a year and a half, and then let it sit around after i got somthing else to drive, and then couldnt fiind parts, didnt have the money, ect. i finally got started on it. i took the box out to get blasted this moring, it should be done in a week or so, and i found a diffrent cab today i nned to go get.... here are some pics of some of the parts ive rounded up.

truck missing the box

got this fender from the swap meet here in lincoln a few weeks ago, all ready to be wet sanded and painted

just finished wet sanding with 400 grit, need to go over again with 600, and 800 and it will be ready for paint

got this hood this morning for $20 my original is rusted on the bottom side, only thing this one really needs is the emblem holes in the front welded.

ive had this door forever, just need to take it all apart and get started on the body work. it looks rust in the pic for some reason but its real nice

i for got to take a pic of my other 20$ swap meet door, but other than that thats all for now. i cant wait to get the box and find out how much it sucks to block that thing out.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Re: my 71k10 project *** pics

Looks good, I was going to go to the Lincoln swap meet, but ended up having to work. A friend that went said it was a pretty good meet!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

well it looks like a good start, goodluck with it and i look forward to seeing the updates

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
BurnoutNova

yesterday i got the box back from the sandblaster... he used a real fine material called starbalst on it, turned out reaa nice, much smoother than i thought it would be. i just ran over it with the d.a. and then sealed it with epoxy primer.

now i just need to spend about 40 hours fixing dents and a little rust, and then it will be ready to block sand

more pics to come

Last edited by BurnoutNova; 04-21-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
BurnoutNova

UPDATE-
i got most of the bodywork done besideds the patch on the passenger side, looks fairly good though i still have alot of sanding to do. i went over the whole box with a d.a sander, and then me and a friend sealed the bare metal with some epoxy sealer primer

heres the bed after i got it home, the sandblaster did a good job and didnt warp anything, which ive heard can happen if there not careful

heres the box after i sealed it, and put some biuld primer on then filled a few dents, notice the lower bed area that still need attention

heres my friend matt spraying the epoxy sealer on

i started working on the hood to, man that paint was a PITA to get off, i used paint stripper like 4 times, which got the majority off and then i used the d.a. to get the reaminder off.

finally! bare metal... turned out very good imo, there was no filler at all on it and it seems to be real straight.

had to weld up the holes in the front, since this was a 69-70 hood and i'll be using the 71 grille

here it is, no more holes, sealed with the same epoxy sealer i used on the bed...

i got my radiator support sandblasted, and primed also, so all i have left for the front clip is the wiper cowl, and finish up a bit of bodywork. which means like 3 weeks of night and weekends. im actully making progress though, which is wierd cause ive had the truck for like 3 years and never thought i'd actully get around to doing this!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
72armyswbtruck

Lookin Good, can't wait to see more
Old 04-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
BurnoutNova

im head'n out to work on it right now... i always forget the camera in the house... i'll grab it and take some more pics
Old 04-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Looks like it's coming along nicely!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

I've got to learn all the paint and body stuff, I'm only good at the mechanical stuff.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
BurnoutNova

im learning ALOT... just by trying stuff, and going to the auto body supply store here. im going through the whole project not expecting a show quality job, because i know i cant get that good of result for my first project, and becasue i use my truck, in the mud, snow, to haul car trailors, haul crushed rock, ect. so i dont want it to be so nice that im scared to use it. i just want it to be fairly straight, and be all one color again!

i got the other bedside all welded up... took some pics i'll get em on here tomorrow
Old 04-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
GREASEMONKEY72

looks like good progress, and the only way to truly learn is by actually doing it yourself

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
BurnoutNova

today i got one lower bedside patch on, welded all the seams and ground it down, then put some filler on.

also got the front clip off my parts truck im gonna steal the cab from. i was a bit dissapointed, becasue the front clip and box on the parts truck i just got were alot nice than the ones i started with! i wish i'd have gotton this sooner
Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #13
GREASEMONKEY72

dont ya hate it when that happens

sooo wheres the pictures???

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME

Last edited by GREASEMONKEY72; 05-14-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
BurnoutNova

my pos rechargable camera batteries wont take a charge, so i need to get some new ones... I KNOW.. i'll get em soon
Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #15
BurnoutNova

bump to the project forum please

i got some new pics and progress report coming soon
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #16
BurnoutNova

ok... i havnt totally ditched the project but plans changed a little bit. i ended up getting a completely rust free cab instead of the somewhat rusty one that was way better than my original. but it was from a walk-thru camper... so yeah big hole in the back. better to fix than rust though. so ive went through about 5 parts trucks now, and have actully somewhat biult another truck on the side from all my leftovers...

heres a pic of the 71 with the new cab on, after i stripped the old rusty body off and cleaned, painted and undercoated the frame

as of today i got the front clip pretty much on. god lining up the hood was a nightmare, trying to put together fenders, radiator support, cab and a hood all from diffrent trucks kicked my a$$... other than that pita i'll get the inner fenders back from getting spray on bedlining sprayed on the bottom sides (hopefully to prevent any rust... (this is the only set of original inner fenders wothout rust ive ever seen) then i'll start on the cab patching the camper walk thru deal.

i have some more pics i need to upload of more recent progress, but i had to post a small update. im tired of seeing everyone else making progress and me just staring at the truck waiting for it to finish itself.