The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
cwheeler2584

radiator brackets

is anyone running the griffin LS radiator with dual electric fans? if so does the radiator brackets/supports for a big block radiator fit? Just looking to order the right brackets the first time. I know factory small block (I believe 3 core) brackets do not fit
cwheeler2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: radiator brackets

The Griffin radiator is too tall to use the factory brackets. I fabricated my own. I will tell you I have returned one radiator that started leaking after about 4 months and I believe I have another leak I may have to return it for. I would not purchase a Griffin again
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
sangell

I too had to modify the mounts to make the Griffin fit. Our truck is a factory BB so I modified the factory mounts to still use the factory rubber pieces. I've had a lot of dealing with Griffin radiators as well as other aluminium radiators is off road vehicles and it's all in how you mount them. They need plenty of room to move around as these old truck are not stiff at all so as the frame and body flexes if the radiator is mount too solidly it will split it somewhere.
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
jessemthompson

The mounts I fabricated used the factory rubber retainers. I used 1" wide aluminum to secure them. Less tension than the factory retainers. My mounts didn't cause the leaks. Epoxy welds are most likely the issue. I will not or use or recommend Griffen radiators. The price is appealing, but the performance isn't.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
sangell

Not much else you could have done. I wonder if these trucks just flex too much for the epoxy joints. Time for a non epoxy radiator.
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote