The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
littlehopper

Radiator pads for spectra radiator

My stock radiator was a 3 core and the spectra replacement doesn't fit in the pads. Does anyone know if the 4 core pads will work or should I make my own?
Thanks
littlehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Radiator pads for spectra radiator

Let's see if I can help you, but I'll need more info.

So your radiator is wider than your old lower brackets and pads can handle, is that it?

*What I had to do. I had a 2 row radiator before that sat on the core support itself, on a piece of rubber, no lower brackets at all! That support was rusted up toast so I got a core support from CA and it came with 4 row lower brackets. Unfortunately one was put in at an angle and the other was crushed so it wouldn't fit a 4 row radiator.

I had the core support out anyway so I used a grinder (Dremel Tool) to remove the rivets and I pushed those out with a punch. I then replaced both lower brackets with reproductions as I was in a hurry. I used a pan-headed machine screw and lock nut to rebolt those. That way I could remove them later if I wanted to, there is enough room between core support and frame to do so.

With 4 row brackets and 4 row replacement pads, all is well with my 3 row all aluminum KKS radiator. BUT the radiator sits up too high now. What I will do is use 3 row OEM upper brackets with reproduction pads and longer bolts. I'll use PVC pipe as a bit of a shim with those longer bolts. Some guys cut down the repro pads to make those less thick.

Do a search (using search bar on site) for more ideas. Maybe someone will link some.

How did this help?

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
littlehopper

Thanks for quick reply. I did search, but couldn't find size of 4 core pads.
Truck is at work so can't measure exact thickness of new rad, but my stock 3 core pads have about 2 13/16" opening. I'm curious how thick the 4 core pads are as I need about 3 5/16" opening.
I see what you are saying with the height. No problem to modify mounts. I will see about getting the lower ones out and maybe just order some 4 core pads and trim if need be.
Thanks again.
littlehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
saxart

I just went through this. Hope this helps:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744536