The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
budd01

72 BB engine and trans mount questions

hello guys, this is my first post, i have snooped around a few times, do i need to introduce myself here some place? anyway, i have a 72 short box step side in my shop, it had a 396 installed at another shop and it was not well done, the truck came new with a 6, as of now it has homemade side mounts, well the mounts are correct but their bolted to some homemade brackets that are welded to the crossmember, and the bell housing has mounts, it has a 3 speed sag for a trans with no trans crossmember, the motor is setting so far back you can't get the distibuter out for starters, i'm thinking they used the bellhousing from the 6 and then just stuck the side mounts on where they ended up, there are problems with the engine that why i'm removing it and the owner also wants a turbo 400 installed, i have owned a 72 with a 350/350 that i switched to a turbo 400, so can i use small block side mount brackets and auto trans crossmember? and will i have to remove the mid/bellhousing crossmember to have this engine sitting in the right place, thanks for any help, Lawrence
Attached Images

budd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 72 BB engine and trans mount questions

Hi Lawrence,

Welcome to the board.

I will take a shot at this.... If you are going to install a TH400 I would remove the bell housing cross member and install a TH400 rear transmission cross member (if memory serves me correctly the 400 cross member is a little different than the 350) You will probably have to use the '69-'71 older style or '72 only clamshell Big Block frame brackets. They are shaped differently so the BB exhaust manifolds/headers will clear them. I'm sure I'm missing something but maybe others will chime in with their thoughts.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

LockDoc is correct. What you need is a pair of either 68-71 Big Block Engine stands, or 72s. I prefer the 72s because they make installing the engine a breeze. Then an automatic trans crossmember. I believe they are the same for the T-350s as the T-400s, just located in the frame a little further back. You will also need all of the big block transmission shift linkage and an automatic transmission steering column. Lastly you will need the 71/72 T-400kickdown gas pedel assembly with the T-400 switch and associated wiring. The floor of the truck will be close to the transmission but should clear.
I have a complete set of powder coated 72 Big Block frame brackets with the clam shells, new motor mounts and all new hardware if you need it. I also have a set of 68-71 frame brackets without the motor mounts. Let me know if I can help you. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
budd01

thanks guy for the responces, here where i'm at this morning, i'm pretty sure this guy is going turbo 400 but just to go over what was done to put the standard in, it looks to me like they took the bell housing off the 6 and bolted it onto the 396, they made an extension for the clutch fork, then because the whole thing sat to far back they did the weld on side mounts, this all worked till the motor gave out, so i think i should start a new thread on what happened to the engine but i'll ad a little here, the engine was only in the truck for 500 miles maybe and then dumped most of the oil out the dipstick tube, there was a PVC but no breather, i'm think it either blew a head gasket or burnt a piston, what else would put pressure in the base? ad to that when the engine warms up it has no oil pressure, so low the lifters start rattling, i'm wondering if this is and early 396 block with the wrong cam and crank bearings causing low oil pressure.
Attached Images

budd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

First thing i would do is get rid of whatever kind of engine mounts those are. Get the correct BB engine stands and put them in the forward holes on the frame where they are supposed to be. Get the correct trans cross member also. I think there is a set of holes in the frame for the cross member. It should be an easy swap with the correct parts. Give wes a call and i am sure he can help you out.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

The way I see it, you get rid of whatever isn't stock, or bad fab work and install correct parts. No need to reinvent the wheel. This way any future problems can be solved with oem style parts. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote