The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
tomclark

basic older truck

Hi, I'm new to this board because I just got an 81 Chevy Stepside with 350 motor and 4bbl carb. All electrics work, but there is a block on the driver's side engine compartment wall that looks like wires just inserted into gunk, hahahaaha, not kidding and several wires with connectors hanging down here and there. The a/c is long gone and disconnected under hood. All good otherwise with brakes, suspension, starting and running.

I have a feeling I'll be working on this truck and haven't worked on cars for a long time and last truck was a toyota muhahaha. This is my first real truck, I wanna like it. Wife bought it for me and had the guy paint it camouflage! Bumper to bumper. Oh man!. I can't wait to show you people on here a pic, hahaha.

The pcv valve on top of valve cover is not connected to any hose it just sits there. There are several hoses on carb that I can see have plugs and one is completely unplugged. There's a metal heat diverter for some kind of metal flexhose coming off the passenger side exhaust manifold, looks like something I used to see going to air cleaner? It doesn't have any hose on it, either.
Do those of us with the "Basic older truck" need these hoses unplugged, reconnected, etc. or are they most likely emission control stuff? Have you got a site or page for us? I really don't think I could go down to the local shop and ask how to keep them disconnected! I could also use some hints of what to look for besides rust on these older ones. Muhahah!
Thanks
Tom in St Pete, FL
tomclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
C-10volvo

all that gunk is overspray from the cab that basically gets hot and melts. there is good plastic under all that, so get a wire brush and go to work on it.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
Blue Beard

Welcome to the board from SW Washington State...........

You'll find alot of changes since the air is long gone.....

Guess is that the open unit on the carb may be the one for the pcv...........

the metal heat from the exhaust manifold sounds like the choke tube like the older small blocks.......

If you like to post pics let me know.....would be glad to post them for you.........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
tomclark

Thanks, guys. could explain why guy that sold it to me tuned it "a few degrees" off cause of the choke, hehehehe. The pcv is pointing towards the carb. I'll be working on it tomorrow, prolly mostly degreaser and taking stock of numbers, parts, etc. and get a basic repair manual.
tomclark is offline   Reply With Quote