The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Serpentine Setup

OK,
My mechanic friend gave me a complete setup off a 4.3. It has all the pulleys,power steering,water pump,alternator,A/C compressor and brackets. I have a 1986 camero 305 TPI motor in it and want to know is it a direct bolt in. I know I have to change the water pump,alternator and compressor. I took everything off the motor myself I got all the bolts nuts everything off of it. Will this setup work and what to look for while doing the install. More pictures on my website at bottom of page.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
BubbaGreen

Re: Serpentine Setup

Was the 4.3L a TBI engine? If so, is the AC pump on the same side?
I have ran into issues with the AC Bracket for the R4 compressor may be an issues with the TPI engine instake manifold hitting near the top.
Should be able to remove the fitting on the back of your existing power steering pump and insert it into the new PS pump and use your existing hose.
That is if you even need to do this. Other thing to note, beside converting the water pump over to a reverse rotation for serpentine, is your existing the same type, ie, long? You may need to replace your fan and fanclutch. GM sells a heavyduty version and get fan for an s-10 or full size 5.7L, between the two, I prefer the S10 fan. You will also need a bigblock fan shroud to fit the larger dia fan.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I did a serpentine swap from a 4.3 V6 onto a 350. Everything was pretty much bolt on.

First, the support rods that came off the front brackets and went back to the intake manifold bolts on the V6 didn't line up with the bolts on the V8. I went to the dealer and bought the two V8 support rods and replaced the V6 ones. Problem solved.

Second, the 4.3 had a real thin harmonic balancer, the V8 had a normal thick one. The crank pulley off the V6 was much deeper to compensate for the thinness of the balancer. I had to buy a 350 lower pulley off a generic 88-94 full size truck with V8 and serpentine. It was much shallower because of the V8's normal thick balancer.

Everything else was bolt on deal. Keep in mind though, these were both TBI engines that I dealt with. I don't know how a TPI setup would complicate things.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

OK, I don't mean to hijack, but I imagine this question could benefit both Andy and myself. When you say, "reverse rotation water pump", what exactly do you mean? A stock WP for these trucks turns clockwise, while a WP from a serpentine system turns counter clockwise. My question is, can a pump for the year vehicle the serp. system came from be used? Don't they both flow the same direction, just turn opposite ones?

Last edited by my new 72; 02-12-2006 at 04:21 PM.
my new 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by my new 72
OK, I don't mean to hijack, but I imagine this question could benefit both Andy and myself. When you say, "reverse rotation water pump", what exactly do you mean? A stock WP for these trucks turns clockwise, while a WP from a serpentine system turns counter clockwise. My question is, can a pump for the year vehicle the serp. system came from be used? Don't they both flow the same direction, just turn opposite ones?
The water flows the same direction, but the impeller inside is backwards.

Since the serpentine drives the water pump off of the back of the belt, it turns the oppsite direction as a normal pump does. GM just made a backwards impeller, so the water flows the same, but the pump turns backwards.

You just ask for a water pump for the year of serpentine brackets you're using. It will bolt right onto your earlier engine without mods.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 02-12-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thanks guy's that is what I needed to know. I'll take pictures as I procced.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

excellent. That is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure before I went and got the wrong thing.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

I talked with my friend and he has the 350 balancer I need for it. Will my alternator work with swaping the pulley out on it? If so all I have to do is buy the A/C compressor and bolt everything up. I may have to redo my upper raditor hose too.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
BubbaGreen

You should be able to swap pulleys on the alternator and use it without further issue. You made mention about the upper hose, you may also find you need to change the lower hose. Do you have the part numbers for the two main brackets..if so, post them and I will compare them to the two sets I recently used in a swap.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

I will look at them tonight and post them. Thanks Andy

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Here are the #'s off the two brackets. This is the alternato bracket drivers side #10118701
A/C bracket passenger side # 10129515

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
Chaplain

Hmm
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote