The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
jott_06
Camaro Club

points eliminator...does it help?

I was looking at a kit in summit racing the is supposed to eliminate the points in a points distributer and i was wandering if anyone has done this upgrade and if there is a good reason to do it.
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: points eliminator...does it help?

Doing away with the old ignition points is a very worthwhile endeavor. You never have to worry about cleaning or setting the gap ever again. Your truck will respond with a smoother idle and easier starting too.

If you're not totaly concerned about original appearance though, I'd swap to an HEI distributor instead of an aftermarket kit like you're talking about.

The HEI will likely be cheaper, it's all GM parts (read very reliable), and parts are available at any parts store if you even need a module or something.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
dfosh

I know of a few people that have used them and they were pleased with the results. If you do use it i would suggest the Pettronics one used another brand and never got it to work . they were in fords . with G.M use the H.E.I. unless you just want the stock look .
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Cannon007

I got a pertronix kit that fit under the original cap and rotor for my old Ford 289 in my 68 Fairlane 500 and it was great! loved it and highly recommend it! only cost $70 too
Cannon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
MXmaniac

I've got the Pertronix Ignitor on my 292. Its a great set-up!
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.
MXmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

I bought a Pertronox for my truck and I didn't notice any difference in performance,idle,or mileage.I did notice that the one time I left the key in the "on" position while I was doing a job it never worked right after that and I had to chunk it.$90 wasted. I've heard the new ones won't do that though.I'm sticking with points and am happy with them.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Sweet72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I'm sticking with points and am happy with them.
That's a statement you won't see too often on this or any other automotive forum. The "lost art" of tuning a points distributor is not dead.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I too have been setting and replacing points all my life, but I have yet to replace a points ignition with an HEI that didn't make a huge difference in performance. The HEI is simple a better iginition system. I can't say either way on the Pertronix because I have never used them, but a GM HEI skull drags a points setup!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I have changed/set points as far back as the mid-Sixties, and put HEI in my truck simply because the points are a PITA to get to! I have had a lot of vehicles with electronic ignition, and never had one fail. In fact, I did have one ignition failure in my truck many years ago, before the HEI -- a coil expired.

I changed from points to an LED/chopper wheel ignition years ago in an older Dodge van. Can't recall the brand, but it worked perfectly.

Wouldn't bother me if I never saw another set of points again...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Billla
Account Suspended

I have the Pertronix Ignitor in my '72; no problems after 2 years of daily driving.

I wouldn't expect a performance improvement - probably the opposite above 5500 - but this is where a stock HEI starts to crap out a bit as well.

The installation was pretty straightforward, and I like not having to mess with points
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

The dwell stays put with the elec igns and you don't have resistance like with points. The HEI has higher voltage/spark and uses larger (better) 8mm wires.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
DavesRide

My points have left me stranded to many times to go back. I was checking out a street rod mag when I noticed a custom hei cap that exits each wire post in the same relation to cylinder number. Makes for a very clean orginized look. It is called the Crossfire by Queen's Automotive Inc. Just a thought on the dizzy.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: points eliminator...does it help?

I have never understood this ?
I have drove chevy's with point's for 25 year's and have NEVER had a problem , the electronic setup's will just DIE in the middle of the road
on my 67 camaro I have put 90K miles on it over the past ten year's and have replaced the point's twice , I think it's that people do not understand point's in that they have to be set correctly to work and growing up with them I learned early how to do it , if the dwell is set with a dwell meter and the distributor has no shaft slack point's are all but BULLET PROOF !!!
you could not pay me to remove my point's ....
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
WorkinLonghorn

Same here. If you want a bunch of hi-tech gagetry to troubleshoot,get a newer model.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: points eliminator...does it help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
I have never understood this ?
I have drove chevy's with point's for 25 year's and have NEVER had a problem , the electronic setup's will just DIE in the middle of the road
on my 67 camaro I have put 90K miles on it over the past ten year's and have replaced the point's twice , I think it's that people do not understand point's in that they have to be set correctly to work and growing up with them I learned early how to do it , if the dwell is set with a dwell meter and the distributor has no shaft slack point's are all but BULLET PROOF !!!
you could not pay me to remove my point's ....
I agree. I never had any problems with the points in the Blazer. I always used AC Delco parts, serviced the cam lubricator, and set the dwell at 30 degrees. It always started quickly and I only replaced them once in 40k miles.

The truck came with a brand new MSD dizzy, which seems to work well, so I will leave it.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
BurnerBrown

I have points in my truck and have had no problems in 2 years after tuning it up. Would a hotter coil help the stock ingition?
BurnerBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
My points have left me stranded to many times to go back. I was checking out a street rod mag when I noticed a custom hei cap that exits each wire post in the same relation to cylinder number. Makes for a very clean orginized look. It is called the Crossfire by Queen's Automotive Inc. Just a thought on the dizzy.
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find them by googling.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Another thumbs up for "Pertronix" ignitor and their "Flame Thrower Coil." I put this in my 50' because hard starting and performance issues. I wanted a traditional look and I lacked the room needed to fit an HEI dist. The swap is very reasonable $$$ and the performance was unreal. Coil comes in chrome or black. Pertronix products are very dependable and this company is very helpfull tech wise.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 11-20-2007 at 02:46 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find them by googling.
Shawn

pertronix.com will get you into the ebay store and at least you can get a look at the products offered and prices. I'll see if I can find more info. for you.

esll

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #20
71 super

I have a Pertronix unit in my BB and it was day and night over the stock points, runs like a different truck. I recently bought the crane cams unit from summit for 64 bucks and change because of the rev limiter it has built in for my 4x4, but have not tried it yet, if like pertronix it should be good to go. I agree that the HEI is very nice, in fact I traded my brother the one that was in the 4x4 for his stock distributer and coil setup only because I want the truck to retain its original appearance, which to me is the only reason to ever switch away from an HEI.

Last edited by 71 super; 11-20-2007 at 09:07 AM.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote