The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

Stuck rear drum brake hubs and how to get them off?

I am trying to get the rear drum brake hubs off my 1968 Chevy C10 and they will not come off. Made sure emergency brake is not on,I have tried adjusting the star wheels,tried to pry them off and also giving them some taps with a hammer around the edges and on the face of it but they will not come off. I am able to rotate the drums.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the brake drums off?

Last edited by HeavyHauler; 12-24-2019 at 03:11 PM.
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Stuck rear drum brake hubs and how to get them off?

Spritz some penetrating liquid like Kroil or Liquid Wrench around the hub and the studs. Rotate the drum while you do that, and let it soak. It may take a couple of hours, and doing some rotisserie work to get the liquid into the crud.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Spritz some penetrating liquid like Kroil or Liquid Wrench around the hub and the studs. Rotate the drum while you do that, and let it soak. It may take a couple of hours, and doing some rotisserie work to get the liquid into the crud.
I already tried that. It wont even start to move off.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Jason Banks

Mine has the same problem. I have yet to tackle. I think my drums have grooves worn in them and I need to back off the adjuster to get the pads away from the drums. I'm 99% sure they are not rusted to the axles or anything... I beat the crap out of them thinking that may be the problem. My truck just isn't that rusty.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
custom10nut

A BFH has always worked for me, especially if they’re the originals.
Spray a liberal amount of your favorite penetrating fluid (actual stuff, not WD-40), and give it about ten taps with a heavy hammer. Then about every hour or so, tap it again. Let it sit overnight ()or even a couple days) to let the oil work it’s magic. Then using pry bars and a hammer, slowly pry them off
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
A BFH has always worked for me, especially if they’re the originals.
Spray a liberal amount of your favorite penetrating fluid (actual stuff, not WD-40), and give it about ten taps with a heavy hammer. Then about every hour or so, tap it again. Let it sit overnight ()or even a couple days) to let the oil work it’s magic. Then using pry bars and a hammer, slowly pry them off
Already did that and nothing.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
REDROCKER652002

It depends. Is the whole assembly moving, IE the pads and all? Or is it the drum itself if not separating from the back plate? If it is the whole assembly moving, you have grooves in the drums and shoes. My experience has been to get the star as far down as you can, try hitting the center hub with a hammer as you apply pressure to the drum. I have not work on drum brakes since I was in High School (I had an old 65 Ford Coupe with them), but that is how I remember getting them off.

Premise all this with I have had a few beers, so take it for what it is worth. Good luck.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #8
Mike C

If the drums are grooved, I use a cut off wheel to cut the shoe retainer spring pins heads off from the rear of the backing plate and they will come off.

If the drum is rusted to the axle, my favorite tool is a hammer head attachement for an air hammer. Just place it between the wheel studs and hold the trigger down. Move to the next stud and so on. Pretty quick it is no longer stuck to the axle.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If the drums are grooved, I use a cut off wheel to cut the shoe retainer spring pins heads off from the rear of the backing plate and they will come off.

If the drum is rusted to the axle, my favorite tool is a hammer head attachement for an air hammer. Just place it between the wheel studs and hold the trigger down. Move to the next stud and so on. Pretty quick it is no longer stuck to the axle.
I have not tried cutting the retainer spring pins but if that doesnt work than more than likely tomorrow I am just going to cut through the drums themselves and knock them off.

I am not going to use any of he drum brake stuff anyway as I am converting to 4 wheel disc brakes.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Ironangel

What Mike C said!...Cut or grind those spring retainers (nail heads) off. Then remove the brake line fitting and two brake cylinder bolts, and I also remove the 15/16" anchor stud and pull the whole mess off the backing plate...If you can punch the cylinder free and then reach inside with a torch or stout cutters to cut the springs the assembly will fall apart and come off the backing plate. When brakes wear a groove so deep that the shoes cannot be adjusted down far enough to free up the drums, the drums are usually shot anyway. Count on replacing the drums because turning them most likely have the adjusters expanded to the outer extremes of brake shoe travel causing uneven wear on the brake linings. Once more, if the shop that turns the drums turns them to quickly in the lathe, the shoes on one side of the vehicle will follow the machining groves and try to walk off track against the backing plate while the other side walks or (screw themselves) against the drum..."Just sayin" Be prepared to buy drums and complete brake kits for each side...NEVER use a big hammer on cast iron brake drums unless your ready to buy new drums! "Work smarter not harder!"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I have not tried cutting the retainer spring pins but if that doesnt work than more than likely tomorrow I am just going to cut through the drums themselves and knock them off.

I am not going to use any of he drum brake stuff anyway as I am converting to 4 wheel disc brakes.
That makes it fun! Burn it off with a torch. Everything is better with fire!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #12
Smitty

Used to call it “The Fire Wrench”! Dads favorite tool.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #13
maverickmk

You could always get a puller.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-8in-3-Jaw...7233374&sr=8-9

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

If the drum doesn't flex in the center when you pry on it or if the drum starts to come off but jams then the adjuster needs to be turned in farther to get the shoes out of the groove they have dug in the drum. It can take as many as 10 full turns of the star wheel to get enough clearance to clear the shoes.
If the drum is obviously flexing in the center then some sort of penetrating oil will help. I have also used soft heat from a propane torch to heat the area around the center hole. This expands the hole slightly and helps breaks the rust free.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Stuck rear drum brake hubs and how to get them off?

If they are grooved then beat them off you have to replace them anyways so you not gonna hurt them. If you can move the star wheel then get it to the end of it's travel no need to only do a few turns go as far as it will go. Spray it down good and beat the snot out of it. Take the lugnut's and put on the lugs and knock them in. You can always put them back in afterwards.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

This is fine if you know you have new drums available. But some of our rear ends no longer have replacement drums available, so be careful not to damage what may be unobtainium. Personally I have never been able to judge whether a drum is still usable until I got it off the axle and measured it.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Stuck rear drum brake hubs and how to get them off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
This is fine if you know you have new drums available. But some of our rear ends no longer have replacement drums available, so be careful not to damage what may be unobtainium. Personally I have never been able to judge whether a drum is still usable until I got it off the axle and measured it.
This may be true but if it's stuck that bad that it wont come off, I'll be willing to bet they wont be re used.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 12-25-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
Happy_dan

I have been following this thread and searched about brakes but didn't find answer to my question. I looked at my drums when on the lift. I don't see any slots to adjust the star wheel! I expected to see a rubber cover in a slot, but nothing! I see some indents that look like maybe they are to be cut out but nothing is already cut out.

Also, there are two screws through the drum. I expect those were to hold the drum until the wheel and lugs are on to hold it all tight. So I assume they have to come out too?
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
I have been following this thread and searched about brakes but didn't find answer to my question. I looked at my drums when on the lift. I don't see any slots to adjust the star wheel! I expected to see a rubber cover in a slot, but nothing! I see some indents that look like maybe they are to be cut out but nothing is already cut out.

Also, there are two screws through the drum. I expect those were to hold the drum until the wheel and lugs are on to hold it all tight. So I assume they have to come out too?
The two screws hold the drum to the hub, yes. Some vehicles didn't have the holes punched for adjuster access. Yes, you will have to drill and grind the slots.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Happy_dan

Thank you!
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:10 AM   #21
akart

I had the same problem,I have a mechanic friend's Help. He took a 3LB short hammer and beat the crap out of it right next to the studs all around and pried it off w/a Heavy duty screw driver. Said you have to be careful hitting around the studs as not to damage them.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote