The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
DT1

Got in Trouble This Weekend

Last week I took my instrument cluster out to my 71 to try to isolate a rattle under the dash. I figured that as long as I had it out, I'd clean up the gauges. As I was cleaning up the speedometer, I dropped it on the ground and it exploded into pieces. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to work so I went to the computer and snatched one up on Ebay. Yesterday I installed the Ebay speedometer and decided to test it out. I drove ten miles out of town to seldom traveled stretch of road and did an odometer check between intersections which are exactly one mile apart. Next, I ran it up to 60 MPH indicated for a mile. It seemed to be indicating way too slow so I turned around and ran it up to 80 Mph. That's when my mirror turned bright RED. The officer told me that he had clocked me at 95 Mph! I tried to explain my situation but It didn't seem to matter to him. Besides, I was guilty as sin! Then he asked me how much I had to drink and I said "Nothing". It really surprised me when his next words were "Don't lie to me". I told him that I would be happy to do a field sobriety test. After I passed that, he made me do a breathalyzer test.
I passed that too, but I think it just irritated him more. He wrote me up for exactly 95 MPH. I very respectfully thanked him and went on my way. I'm not sure what the laws are in other states but I believe in California the officer has the discretion to haul you off for reckless driving if you are exceeding 85 MPH or the posted limit by over 30 MPH. I'm grateful that he let me go. After thinking about it, I also think that for a citation like this, I won't have the option of going to traffic school to try to keep the mark off my record. I'm pretty sure I'll have to appear before a judge. So I wonder if I should just suck it up or should I plea my case? I have the picture of the Ebay purchase and I truly was on a remote/deserted stretch of road. I wasn't goofing around. I was merely doing a speedometer check in a place that I thought was safe. BTW... I found the rattle. It was a loose speaker.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
kcsa75

Re: Got in Trouble This Weekend

Law enforcement as a means of revenue generation.

From your description there was no good reason to give you a ticket except to extract a couple hundred $$$ from your wallet.

I don't live in California and haven't been to traffic court in years, but you might take a stab at going to court and explaining your circumstances. The judge may let you off the hook (doubtful) or give you a reduced fine. The worst case scenario is that you would have to pay the fine, but you'll need to do that anyway.

Good luck!

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post

From your description there was no good reason to give you a ticket except to extract a couple hundred $$$ from your wallet.

I don't live in California and haven't been to traffic court in years, but you might take a stab at going to court and explaining your circumstances. The judge may let you off the hook (doubtful) or give you a reduced fine. The worst case scenario is that you would have to pay the fine, but you'll need to do that anyway.

Good luck!
Actually, it's not the fine that I worry about, although I know it will be exorbitant. The problem is a mark on my record that can effect my insurance rate.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post

Good luck!
411,574 US traffic fatalities from 2000-2009...
I disagree that traffic enforcement is just "a means of revenue generation". 95mph between two intersections exactly 1 mile apart in a 40+ year old vehicle MIGHT be construed as a "good reason" for the officer to give you a ticket.
I was in the traffic enforcement business for a portion of my career and the taxpayers paid me a pretty good salary to enforce traffic laws... not ignore violators.
I'm not preachin', I love to go fast and make a lot of noise...
Hire a lawyer that defends a lot of cases in your local court, he'll probably use a speedo calibration report, your paperwork from ebay, pictures from the location and your (hopefully GOOD) driving record.
GOOD LUCK, take care
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
411,574 US traffic fatalities from 2000-2009...
I disagree that traffic enforcement is just "a means of revenue generation". 95mph between two intersections exactly 1 mile apart in a 40+ year old vehicle MIGHT be construed as a "good reason" for the officer to give you a ticket.
I was in the traffic enforcement business for a portion of my career and the taxpayers paid me a pretty good salary to enforce traffic laws... not ignore violators.
I'm not preachin', I love to go fast and make a lot of noise...
Hire a lawyer that defends a lot of cases in your local court, he'll probably use a speedo calibration report, your paperwork from ebay, pictures from the location and your (hopefully GOOD) driving record.
GOOD LUCK, take care
I absolutely agree with you. If I were in his position, I would have thrown the book at me.
I also agree that it is a means of generating revenue. last year my daughter received a citation for doing 62 in a 55 zone. The ticket amount was $140.00 but there are now administrative fees attached and when all of the smoke cleared she had to pay almost $450.00. I know because I had to forked over the cash.
Tomorrow, I'm going to have the speedometer calibrated because although I believe the officer when he stated that he clocked me a 95, it was indicating 80. I will be happy to pay the full amount of the fine. The only reason I want to plea my case is to seek approval for traffic school.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
70cst

Sadly this is just part of life that someday you will look back and smile

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Sadly this is just part of life that someday you will look back and smile
I'm smiling already. He could have arrested me and impounded my truck.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Get a traffic lawyer.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Get a traffic lawyer.
In this case...I would agree.

Best of luck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Boogie_Man

You might be able to request deferred adjudication. The very least the court can say is no but if they approve it, you'll still have to pay the fine but the ticket wouldn't be on your record after the 6 months probation or whatever the probation period in your city is. I agree though that it's a revenue generator for the city and they'll try to make you pay it.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Cannonball1

Take you truck to a transmission/speedo shop and have the speedo calibrated. It should show that it was way off. Take that documentation to the court and show the judge. He may be a little more forgiving on you. You can also ask for the calibration records for the cops radar system. Do they still have traffic school in Ca? That sould keep the ticket off your record as long as you don't get another.

But I agree with the others...get a lawyer.
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
and I truly was on a remote/deserted stretch of road.
Just you and one police officer...Sorry bout the bad luck, he sounded like a bit of a putz.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
hopped up

That's gonna be a very expensively ticket! ! Sorry about the situation but I've found that cops and judges won't care about the reason. Usually won't even believe it
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
El Campo

Definitely IS a huge revenue generator though. The middle class man like most of us are get screwed by The Man all the time. I have a spotless driving record literally it is perfect but it irritates and makes me loathe authority more every single day that I think about people like my wife getting tickets (for 6 mph over) even though she has never hurt a flea in her life and she is a nurse helping people every day yet (I am also a ER nurse) I see aggravated assaults, burglaries, etc come in every day and get a slap on the wrist and not pay a cent to anyone. There is no justice. You might not win sir but get that traffic lawyer and go down with a fight. It is the principle of it!!!!!!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Ds86C10
2WD 4 Life

id just pay the ticket since you live in CA, just to take attention away from your truck and the fact that you did get a way with just the ticket instead of towing your truck and forcing a inspection on it since your pointing out a equipment problem
1978 king cobra
Ds86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
webfoot

After hearing your story, he probably thought it was weird that someone can't tell 95 from 60 mph. (I kind of agree with him)

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
DARIO1

3 points;
1. Policemen have the crapiest job in the world, dealing with the scum of the earth everyday, so of course they are always pissed off and heard every story in the book.
2. Plain and simple, you were speeding, we have laws and police are there to enforce when present.
3. Has no one heard California is bankrupt and in need of money?
DARIO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
sjarrett71

I once gave a guy on a motorcycle a ticket fr 92 MPH in a 55 zone. He said "I cant believe you gave me a ticket for the whole 92!" I replied "I can't believe you were doing the whole 92!" I must be an a-hole cop.

A little backgound though. This was were 2 lanes of traffic was coming together into 1 and there were other vehicles traveling on the highway as well. He was just trying to get to the front of the line of cars.

On the plus side of my job, I took a Grandfather to jail last week for performing oral sex on his 5 year old granddaughter.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I once gave a guy on a motorcycle a ticket fr 92 MPH in a 55 zone. He said "I cant believe you gave me a ticket for the whole 92!" I replied "I can't believe you were doing the whole 92!" I must be an a-hole cop.
A little backgound though. This was were 2 lanes of traffic was coming together into 1 and there were other vehicles traveling on the highway as well. He was just trying to get to the front of the line of cars.
On the plus side of my job, I took a Grandfather to jail last week for performing oral sex on his 5 year old granddaughter.
While I'd like to not interact with you on a professional basis , and while I really don't like to see most folks get a ticket, you did "good". The guy you described above on the bike was like way too many folks these days....
He has the dreaded "Get ahead of the other guy" syndrome. I can't figure it out...except that we have these brain-dead natural competitive instincts that will likely be the death of us all...one way or another.

On the second issue (the "plus side of your job"), I bet that if we put 100 people on this forum on the rules committee, at least ninety-six of us would issue you free tags and a few rounds to help take out that swine.
The remaining four might be compassionate and suggest that the guy is sick.

He'd be a lot sicker after I got thru with him. But he wouldn't need a doctor.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
terry b

You were out there knowing you were doing wrong. You got busted. Be a man and don't cry about it. I got a 100 in a 55 christmas morning 6 am. Kept my mouth shut and paid the fine. I don't get why people think they are above the law. I think you have the right frame of mind. Don't pay any mind to all the $h1t house lawers.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
RHGuyettejr

I would definitely go to court, if you are honest with the judge, and explain the situation it could go either way. Regardless I am sure you will have to pay a fine, but at least they may cut you a break with putting points on your license. Honestly if you have a clean driving record until now it will only help your case. I know people may say " how could he not tell he is going 95mph" but honestly after driving my truck, and then swapping to some of the cars at the dealership I work at I am going 10-15mph over the speed limit without even noticing it, and on top of that looking at a speedometer that you would expect to be only 5-10mph off you can easily trick your mind into thinking you are going slower.
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
You were out there knowing you were doing wrong. You got busted. Be a man and don't cry about it. I got a 100 in a 55 christmas morning 6 am. Kept my mouth shut and paid the fine. I don't get why people think they are above the law. I think you have the right frame of mind. Don't pay any mind to all the $h1t house lawers.
I for one certainly don't I'm above the law and I have the utmost respect for anyone in uniform. I absolutely agree with the whole situation and I'm tickled pink to pay the entire fine.
I just hope that when the judge sees the documented error in the speedometer calibration Cert., he will allow me to go to traffic school.
I also consider a completely restored forty year old truck "New".
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
kray59

Angry Re: Got in Trouble This Weekend

in texas if you plead not guilty you can have a trial by judge or jury .my friend sat on the 6 man JP court jury and said they found all traffic ticket cases not guilty . as far as talking to the judge i don't recommend it . been there done that , not good . the fine started at $50 dollars. after telling the judge my side he hit his little hammer and said $100 . and asked me if i had anything else to say . being confident i was in the right i continued to try to explain . hammer again $150. anything else to say . no sir i think i have said enough . pay the bailiff .i only had $147 dollars baliff said tell the judge .hammer again . that will do.next case.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Transformula

When I needed to check my speedometer, I used to go down the highway at steady speeds and try to peek in other people's cars that I could see the speedometer and try to figure out the percent it was off. It worked! I never felt the need to do 80 or 95 though! lol. Sorry you got got though...
1995 FXDL Harley Low Rider
1985 C10 ShortWide 91 Burb front.
Transformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
Hubscrub
Cruzin

well at least you know how much it's off we all are guilty of breaking laws everyday driving so do feel to bad about it.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote