The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
weider1717

Engine Guru's needs your help

I have a 87 350 model v10 truck that developed a coolant leak into the engine. 99% sure I want to just go ahead and pull the engine and either rebuild it (I do like the thought of keeping the original) or possibly putting a crate engine in it.

I would like a little more hp if possible but to retain a stock appearance even if it's a crate engine.

Things I don't know is if I rebuild what are your suggestions on getting more HP from the l05 350 while keeping the heads and intake? cam I guess?

If I do go crate can you buy a hotter short block 350 or 383 from jegs and bolt my heads and intake on? Will everything just bolt right up?

If I go crate and stay pretty much stock type replacement is this the correct one and a good choice?http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...68758/10002/-1

I a no mechanic but have always done my own work but never built a bottom end so fairly handy guy and very particular but I'm lost I just don't have the knowledge for the questions above.

Thanks for any suggestions
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
redneckwheelman2

Re: Engine Guru's needs your help

With retaining the tbi it is kinda hard to make more power without getting it tuned after you install performance parts. Most everyone will probably recommend a vortec head swap and a mild cam. From moSt of my research is the vortec heads are good for a 30+ hp boost with the vortec heads they'll look identical to tbi heads except the different intake. The head swap can be done pretty cheap for 300 to 500 bucks. Plus a tune
New parts you'd need is intake. either the gm performance one which is pretty expensive If you want or need to run egr for emissions or get a vortec carb intake for around 200 then get a carb to tbi adapter plate.
And a higher pressure fuel pump
I have a good link to a guy that did a bunch of different mods to his tbi 350 with dyno results after each install. I'll see if I can find it again.

And yes your heads and intake and everything will bolt right onto any small block chevy. Just have to watch what cam you have or get without running into valve spring clearance and everything.

2002 chevy 2500hd extended long- blackbear tune. DD
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
4xshort

If a local engine shop is available you would save a pile of money in shipping. A short block sounds like something you could handle. If you decided to go with vortec heads you would be very happy with your choice, a tbi intake is available for vortec heads so you can keep your fuel injection. If you went that way its an unbolt and bolt up project. Hope it helps
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xshort View Post
If a local engine shop is available you would save a pile of money in shipping. A short block sounds like something you could handle. If you decided to go with vortec heads you would be very happy with your choice, a tbi intake is available for vortec heads so you can keep your fuel injection. If you went that way its an unbolt and bolt up project. Hope it helps
I like the sound of this! Can you point me in the direction of thie crate setup? I see one on summit but to be sure we're on the same page.

So I would receive a long block with vortec heads but I would need to change the intake manifold but everything else would be useable, correct? This sounds nice some extra hp would be great.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
4xshort

If I was in your position this is what I would do. First I would find out whats wrong with the motor in the truck and why it happened. I wouldn't want to go through all this work to have it happen again. After that I would decide which way to go.
No sense trying to stay numbers matching if your block is cracked, if you want more power the fuel injection will need to be upgraded. It would suck to buy a short block and then find out your heads are cracked.
When it comes to engine selection the choices are endless, Talk to your local engine builder or give one a call. They can help you with the right selection, weight of vehicle, type of driving, budget all these factors contribute to proper parts selection.