The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
azsnow

Ignition Switch??

I rewired the Cameo and used an aftermarket ignition switch from Napa so I could start it with the key rather than having a button in the mix. The switch from Napa doesnt quite fit the hole, and I was wondering what if anything anyone has done that has had this issue. Is there an aftermarket switch, or different year switch that fits the hole better? I am using the original column, so key will stay on the dash!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Ignition Switch??

I've used pretty much the same switch on trucks before and they never seem to fit a stock switch hole.

Actually I like the stock switch and push button idea as it adds an element to starting the truck. Your child or a friend can't just jump in the truck and turn the key and crank the engine. Hide the push button switch under the dash where you can still reach it without stretching and it becomes a normal movement to start the truck. I have my 71 set up that way because I had a bad wire or connection in the key start circuit and after I figured out the wiring I left the pushbutton.

Plus you will be able to use a Chevy key rather than a Briggs & Stratton key.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
azsnow

True, and since the original ignition is still in great shape, I may do this at a later date.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
dicer

You can get a stock replacement switch from most all the truck parts places.
Don't think you want to file out a cameo dash?
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
mknittle

like this?
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=103

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/products.asp?dept=587

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I would check with American Autowire. They will have one that fits your dash.
http://www.americanautowire.com/sear...e.com%252F#410

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
azsnow

I wont cut up the dash no matter what, if anything I will place a large washer behind and infront of the aftermarket ignition switch to prevent it from damaging the dash. I have the original switch, and it still works, but the problem with it is that there is an on and off, no "start" function, and since I am no longer using the foot start, I need it to be in the ignition switch. The one I got is exactly like the one brothers sells.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

American Autowire has wiring kits for all models and will sell the parts of each kit. I rewired my entire truck (51 3/4 ton) and the ignition switch fits and works well. It also has a start function. I doubt if you will find anything in the salvage yard that fits the hole in your dash unless you spend a few days in the yard. I would probably drill a hole in a 1X4 the same as your dash and take that with me to be certain the switch you think might fit will or won't.
You will find what you are looking for on page 60 of their catalog. Cost $21.00 + shipping. You'll spend that much driving around looking.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20

Last edited by BIG CHEVY 3600; 11-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600 View Post
American Autowire ...
You will find what you are looking for on page 60 of their catalog. Cost $21.00 + shipping. You'll spend that much driving around looking.
I own this AAW switch. In a '55 2nd series (3100), the nut will not go down far enough to squeeze the sheet metal. It will need a spacer in the back.

Last edited by DransportGarage; 01-05-2012 at 09:38 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Russell Ashley

Why don't you just buy an original switch for a V8 truck. They had the key start.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #11
azsnow

As far as I know, and can find in any and all pics, publications, catalogs...all trucks untill 1960 were floor start with the key only providing the go juice.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Russell Ashley

The V8 trucks didn't have the floor starter, they had the key start. None of them have an "accessory" position though. If you don't mind being slightly non-original you can buy a 55-59 V8 switch, 57 car tumbler, and 57 car bezel and use that. That's what I did because I like the look of the tumbler. Original style tumblers are readily availabe if you want to keep the original look.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
azsnow

Thats the ticket for sure! All switches I have found dont indicate a difference between 6 and 8 cylinder though... Do you have a link as to where you bought the items? I was thinking after I posted last night, that I have never seen an original V8/auto truck, they have all either been 6s or modified.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Russell Ashley

It is my understanding that all V8 55-59's had the keystart, not just automatics. I'm surprised that someone else hasn't already spoken up about that as this forum is where I found it out.
I got my ignition switch from Bowtie Bits, but they are available from all of the usual places like Brothers, LMC, Truck and Car shop, Tuckers, etc. The clear plastic bezel and the tumbler with "ears" on it are for a 57 car and I got those at a local place near my house called Georgia Classic Parts. Those are readily available at places that sell 57 Chevy car parts.
Not sure if you saw my previous post on this ignition switch, but you can remove the key in the "off" position and use the handle to start the engine. You turn it to the "lock" position and remove the key to lock it.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Not sure if you saw my previous post on this ignition switch, but you can remove the key in the "off" position and use the handle to start the engine. You turn it to the "lock" position and remove the key to lock it.
My 64 Chevelle is the same way too. From the days when people were honest and you did not have to lock up your house or cars. I remember in the 50's as a kid you could walk into any house in the neighborhood looking for friends to play with (always knocked first). At my best friends house the basement was always open so we could play pool it they were not home!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
My 64 Chevelle is the same way too. From the days when people were honest and you did not have to lock up your house or cars. I remember in the 50's as a kid you could walk into any house in the neighborhood looking for friends to play with (always knocked first). At my best friends house the basement was always open so we could play pool it they were not home!
Hey Orrie, you are showing your age if you remember those days, LOL. I'm 70 so I remember them too.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
stfinney

I am having and issue with my ignition switch ans bezel. Looks like the previous owner couldn't get it to fit right, so they used epoxy to hold it in place. Worked ok until now, but now the ignition is just flopping around in the hole. What holds it all to the dash? Is there a piece missing perhaps? Seems to all be there or so I think. It does seem to be an aftermarket Advance Auto or Autozone special.
stfinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
azsnow

Yeah the NAPA switch that I bought was way to small for the hole. I just got a stock V8 switch today and will be installing it soon! The only thing that holds it to the dash is the tension from the retaining ring.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
stfinney

So it basically sandwiches the dash hole right?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
JumboAMONGus

they make a v8 switch thats you dont have to use a push button a regualr ignition switch ,about 50 bucks clasics and eklers or use a corvette one from early corvettes
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
stfinney

Mine doesn't have a push button start, it's just loose as a goose and not sure how to fix it, lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #22
azsnow

Yeah get rid of that NAPA crap and get the correct one trust me, it makes all the difference in the world!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
OrrieG

In the 70's I just hogged the hole out a little bit. This time its on the column, I am using that hole for a 4wd indicator lamp.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
azsnow

Thats a good idea if you have to go with the column mount. The issue with the key cylinders these days is that they are way to small for the hole.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsnow View Post
Thats a good idea if you have to go with the column mount. The issue with the key cylinders these days is that they are way to small for the hole.
I also went with a column ignition. The main selling point, other than already having the column, was the locking wheel. perk that most pre-70's cars didn't have...

glad your ignition issue was resolved with a V8 switch.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote