The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
68C10HotRod

Blower fan issues

I seem to be having issues with my heater fan & don't have a clue why it's doing this. My boy was telling me that the fan was matching the motor revs this morning. Take off & running & the fan seems to do fine. Come to a stop & it pretty much stopped. Back & forth all the way to school like this.

I have previously swapped out the OEM for the PM-102 that some have suggested. When I first did this swap, it seemed to work just fine even without the engine running - not for months now. Any ideas or help. TIA.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
dan42

Re: Blower fan issues

Wow. A variable speed fan. My guess would be that the current to the fan is increasing as your engine speed increases, but I don't think there's supposed to be a resistor in the hot wire to fan. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with this.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Sound's like you might have a voltage problem. Either a bad battery or alternator. Make sure your gronds are good from the frame to engine & to body. Put a voltmeter on the bat. With the engine off & the light's on it should be 12-12.5 volt's Turn off the light's & start the engine. The voltage should go to about 14 volt's & stay there at idle. If it goes over 14.5 you have a voltage regulator problem of overcharging.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
68C10HotRod

Well, it read about 13.6 ignition off & headlights on but it dropped rapidly to about 12.3 by the time I took the leads off within about 1 minute. Started with headlights off & it read about 12.6 initially but rolled up to about 14.05 & was pretty stable between that & 13.6. It stayed about 14 but did drop down as low as 12.9 or so but immediately jumped back up to 13.9-14 again.

So does this all sound normal? On the engine grounds, it has a cable directly from battery to block & then from block to frame. I put these on & cleaned the locations a few months back so they should be good. BTW, this was strange - the first time I went to pull the headlights on to test, they WOULDN'T light up. Then after driving somewhere before it got dark, did the test again after getting home & everything worked fine - STRANGE.

Thanks for the info so far! Any ideas?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Are you sure it is actually blowing? It sounds like the blower isn't on at all and you are just getting air blowing through the system
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
gkesseru

Sounds like your cab itself may have a bad ground. The intermittent light symptom is an important clue. Sometimes the only ground on the cab is through a throttle cable. There should be a cab to frame ground somewhere under the passenger side. Mine is from the front cab mount support channel to the frame.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
68C10HotRod

Well Longhorn Man was onto part of the problem. The blade connector on the fan was loose & came out of the fan. Put in a new fan, still no blow. I did check continuity between the cleaned up ground on the fan housing with the ground cable tied to the frame by the engine - got tone. I'm really at a loss with this damn thing. The dash lights stopped working a couple weeks back after I R&R the cluster. Even pulled it & replaced all the bulbs today. Still all dead & all but 1 bulb toned good. Well the right turn indicator stays on because the front running light is out.

BTW, sometime in the spring I made a good cab ground strap to frame connection with a new strap. In fact, I put a new strap on the core support, under the cab, and the box. I'm ok with all the mechanical stuff but wiring just seems to haunt me.