The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Slammed70

Carnage.....

I got the night off so Im cruising down the highway around 1am just out for a drive. Got the a/c off, windows down, radio off, cruising around 30-40mph just listening to my turbo whine at me.

Then !BOOM!.....

I hit this ****ing deer.

And the assholes at the insurance company are gonna total it because they cant find the parts, even though I have most of the parts in my basement and can fix it for almost nothing.

Anywho.....Im back to driving the 70. I pull it out of the garage. Its got a little more rust in the usual areas than I remember, but its still sexy. I take her down to the carwash and give her quick bath. I get home and let it sit for a few hours. Now the damn thing wont start. It will just crank and crank until the batery goes dead. It ran fine before I shut it off. Usually when this happens it the little "bushing" I call it that fits inside the dist. between the coil and the rotor. That thing usually breaks for some reason every couple of months, I dont know why. It physically checked out OK, but I replaced it anyway because it wouldnt hurt and I have a stock pile of them. No...that didnt fix it. So I turn my attention to the fuel side of things. I can see it squirting through the carb down into the intake, not to mention I can hear it from inside the cab with the door open. And I can smell it too something fierce. So I assume its getting down to where it needs to go.

I guess somehow the little fuse thingy that goes into the back of my meter is blown, because it wont read nothing but being out of limits on any setting I put it on. Other wise I would check to make sure Im getting atleast 12v to the dist. And I cant find my testlight anywhere. Its wired into the key-on part of the fuseblock though, and the radio and **** still work so I dont know why it wouldnt have power.

Here in a bit Im gonna pull the plugs and see how fouled they are. I havent changed them since I bought the truck almost 4 years ago. And the damn meters broke so I cant check resistance in the plus wires either...

Lol, any other ideas?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Slammed70

Re: Carnage.....

Wow, those pics were bigger than I thought....
Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
bent
The master of disaster

ummm my seggestion would be a fuse pssibly or as u said plugs or possibly even the timing is off it may have jumped when you killed it. jmho
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
ofnaman

Man, That sucks for your typhoon, I hope you buy that back. If not let me. Those are my single favorite vehicle's. I do not understand why the insurance company would tell you parts are unavailable, I could find all of the parts within 5 minutes. Also, that is a 25 thousand dollar truck, are they aware of that?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
Man, That sucks for your typhoon, I hope you buy that back. If not let me. Those are my single favorite vehicle's. I do not understand why the insurance company would tell you parts are unavailable, I could find all of the parts within 5 minutes. Also, that is a 25 thousand dollar truck, are they aware of that?
I dont know, I corrected them about 90 times when they kept calling it a Jimmy. Then they were like "Well, its a Jimmy Typhoon" And Im like "No its ****ing not...it a completely different animal"

And Im pretty sure they know what its worth, I just think that they want another "old" vehicle off the road. Or that they dont want to have to find all the parts. I mean....its still drivable too. If I didnt score a GTP as a loner I would still be driving it.

And I would LOVE nothing more than to buy it back, I just dont got the money now. Im still paying for the mistakes I made when I was younger, I got another kid on the way, hell....I dont even have a lisence anyway.

I just need to get to work so I need to get my 70 back alive.

Its not fused Bent, just a 10ga wire straight from the fuse box to the dist.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'd be lookin for a new insurance company.
And a license.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
caminokid
Chevy nut

As far as your insurance goes....They will let you have the truck back...but they will take some of the what they were going to give you for it. You can have the truck and some cash then. If you got the parts to fix it then....no money out of your pocket. If they are going to be buttheads about it...then stop the claim.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
ofnaman

What do they want for it?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

if they total it and sell it back to you, it'll have a salvage title and you'll probably have to go through BS and red tape to get it on the road again.
If you have the parts, then why are you trying to make a claim, it'll only raise your payments.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
if they total it and sell it back to you, it'll have a salvage title and you'll probably have to go through BS and red tape to get it on the road again.
If you have the parts, then why are you trying to make a claim, it'll only raise your payments.
Because I dont have all the parts, or the body panels to fix the ass end either.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

got it.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
DavesRide

[QUOTE=Slammed70;2411514]I got the night off so Im cruising down the highway around 1am just out for a drive. Got the a/c off, windows down, radio off, cruising around 30-40mph just listening to my turbo whine at me.

Then !BOOM!.....

Yeah, I did two in one week. I also called mine by the ****ing name. this is the season. Cold weather makes them get up and jump around. Watch out. Sorry about the grill buddy.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
jeffnohio

oh man they are bad up here in Ohio ... I am just waiting till one darts out in front of me.. My Jeep is a rolling sun just so I can see the ****ers off the side of the road at night..lol 6 kc lights really makes spotting them alot easier before they have the chance to run out though.. I have been thinking about putting a couple of spikes on the front tube bumper just so I can impale it and drag it on home with me, with out getting all messy lol
I have only been up here for a year so I am sure the day will come that I tag one before too long.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
imholte

I watched a car infront of me last week swerve to miss a deer and ended up off the road into a ditch. Totaled her car too. Many people die each year cause they swerve to miss the deer but end up wrecking worse and get hurt or die.

That sucks that you hit that deer, you say you have most of the parts in your basement then why dont you just fix it?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
bent
The master of disaster

well if it aint a fuse all i know to tell ya is check the timing sorry to hear about the truck like one them said just drop the claim how did you get insured with nio license i have tried that befor i got mine was bout as easy as gett the president of the us to have dinner at my house with out his goons
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #16
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
well if it aint a fuse all i know to tell ya is check the timing sorry to hear about the truck like one them said just drop the claim how did you get insured with nio license i have tried that befor i got mine was bout as easy as gett the president of the us to have dinner at my house with out his goons
I just lost it within the past month

And I forgot to post the pic of the ass end....this is from a hit and run.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
ChaseDale3and8

Those deer can be very destructive. I hit one a few years ago when I had my 98 Ram shortbed 4x4. The truck was less than 2 years old at the time. I bought it with 2 miles on the odometer. Made me sick! I was running about 75 when I hit it, and squashed him like a bug! Tied his rear legs around his neck real nice. Did over $2,600 worth of damage to the frontend.

A month later, my wife hit another one with her 95 Dodge Stratus, and it did $2,000 worth of damage to it. My insurance rate didn't go up because of it. Small wonder there I suppose, because they seem to look for a reason to jack you up on the rates. I really watch for them now when the weather starts cooling down and those bucks start going into rut. They just jump out of nowhere and land on your hood! ...Joe
Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #18
Longhorn321
Size Matters

You never said what happend to the meat!! Is it in the freezer?

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #19
jfalesi

What the **** is a Typhoon?
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70 View Post
I just lost it within the past month

And I forgot to post the pic of the ass end....this is from a hit and run.

http://www.tri-proautomotive.com/ser...quarter/Detail

$50.00 for the hood.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #21
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

FWIW my honda got hit a month ago. the ins. co. called it a total loss. they sent me a letter telling me to go to the courthouse and file for a salvage title. then at the bottom of the letter it said if my vehicle is over 6 model years old or over 14,000# GVW I need do nothing as this no longer applies.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #22
CJ5 Convert

Man that sucks. I was in High school when those came out and I went to church with a car dealer. He took me fo a ride in a Cyclone when they got the first one at the GMC lot that was one scary fast little S-10 (JK). I hope that works out for you and good luck insurance companies suck.
CJ5 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you have full coverage, can't you just take two or three estimates to them, have them deduct the deductible and keep the truck, plus the money that the estimates average out to be?

A buddy hit a deer with his '82 Silverado, here in Arkansas.....several years ago. Same story....insurance company wanted to total it. He got a lawyer. They went several rounds in court before he finally got a settlement. His reasons for wanting to keep it were that it was given to him for a graduation present by his (at the time) recently deceased father.

Today, it's a show truck.....and he's redoing the '83 that was his dad's.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Slammed70

Believe it or not but they gave me the lowest estimate. I took it to a body shop and a dealer before I even told them about it. The body shop told me $12k and the dealer told me $15k if I remember right....

And I got the 70 figured out I think, the gear on the distributor is stripped. Got a buddy yanking one out of his toy right now to see what that does.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
xshadow

Most of the time the insurance company will let you keep the car and knock off some money from the price they are going to give you. I would try that If i were you. My brother in law has a 4x4 that was totaled. He did is still driving it a couple years later. Never did get it fixed but it doesn't even look bad.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote