The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
laplander

If you were selling a truck, would you put mags or stock wheels on?

Here's the situation. I traded my K10 and a bunch of parts for a 67 short stepper with the mindset that it will be easier and quicker to sell one of these than list all the parts and truck that I had. My problem is I don't want to go overboard like I do on everything else. I'm just not sure where the point of diminishing return is going to rear it's ugly head.

Here's what I have right now for it.
New Sanderson ceramic coated headers
New 2/4 drop springs.
New Performer intake and carb and dress up items.
15 Turbine American Racing wheels.
New aftermarket seat cover.
Nice black door panels and visors and armrests from a seller here on the board
Muncie M20

I figure the detailing of the engine and swapping VC and intake and carb is a no brainer, everyone likes a nice looking engine. The thing has to have new tires because the ones on it were borrowed from the sellers friend. Should I just get a set of stock wheels and caps and put new BFGs on there, or put them on the Turbine wheels? If I could have found a set of good used tires I would go that route, but evidently 15s are starting to become scarce. So there isn't anyway to save money there. That leads me to the 4 speed, it already has a granny low 4 gear, so it would just be a matter of getting one of those 55-57 bench seat shifters and throwing it in. The Muncie wasn't cheap and would hate to put it in if I was just going to lose money on it. Would the granny low be that much of a turn off to truck buyers? Whaddya guys think? Opinions please. Here's a pic of how she sits now, along with a pic of the style of wheels I was talking about.
Attached Images

laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
502ms

Re: If you were selling a truck, would you put mags or stock wheels on?

Turbine wheels look better. Use those parts for bargaining options. These trucks sell themselves when presented properly. stock trucks sell best if the person interested feels it hasn't been molested, and he can mod as needed....or it should be all the way modded so they know what they are paying for. If they think it's a project, they will try to nickel and dime you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
sanford66

First off, nice little stepper you have there. For resale i would go with the factory wheels and hub caps, i don't think the turbines are going to net you any extra profit over stock wheels. For resale i would leave the granny 4-speed in it, [the truck would be mostly stock with the original wheels], so this might help the value. Plus i would want to keep the Muncie for a future project! If i had your truck and wanted to sell it i would install the drop springs, clean it up, and leave the rest original and move it. Just my 2-cents. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford66 View Post
First off, nice little stepper you have there. For resale i would go with the factory wheels and hub caps, i don't think the turbines are going to net you any extra profit over stock wheels. For resale i would leave the granny 4-speed in it, [the truck would be mostly stock with the original wheels], so this might help the value. Plus i would want to keep the Muncie for a future project! If i had your truck and wanted to sell it i would install the drop springs, clean it up, and leave the rest original and move it. Just my 2-cents. Joseph
I'd do exactly what sanford66 is suggesting. Stock wheels will apeal to just about everyone. Not alot of people like the turbines.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
wild4wheels

This needs to be your inspiration-lowered, stock wheels- not much else-let someone else make it purty..most people are buying these to play with.. plus..I have seen many times..if you do too much, it looks like you are trying to hide something..

Just like veggies man, sell it raw ...

Wild
Attached Images

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild4wheels View Post
This needs to be your inspiration-lowered, stock wheels- not much else-let someone else make it purty..most people are buying these to play with.. plus..I have seen many times..if you do too much, it looks like you are trying to hide something..

Wild
True.

fwiw that truck was on ebay recently with a $7500 reserve and didn't sale. I really didn't expect it to either.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6z View Post
True.

fwiw that truck was on ebay recently with a $7500 reserve and didn't sale. I really didn't expect it to either.
That truck belongs to way2lo2.
It's bagged and nice,... if Boris had his hands on it.
I bet it brings the money eventually.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:

Wild
That truck has got some pretty sick panita to it! At first I thought that was a 1" exhaust pipe coming out the back!!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
laplander

Quote:

Wild
Hey Wild,
Did you happen to catch the specs on that truck? What drop and what tires size it was running? That thing looks killer with all of it's patina.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Dano69c10

Get some 15" steelies, clean her up and sell her!

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
wild4wheels

Cool Re: If you were selling a truck, would you put mags or stock wheels on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
Hey Wild,
Did you happen to catch the specs on that truck? What drop and what tires size it was running? That thing looks killer with all of it's patina.
Not trying to hijack-just answering a question and maybe inspire the OP!

Ask and ye shall receive, laplander!..

"....... in the rear a CPP C notch was installed along with airbags all the way around with are controlled from inside the truck. Only quality parts from Firestone, Airlift, and Viair were used. The lower control arms were stepped 1.5" inches and narrowed a 1/2". 4 new shocks were installed as well. The brakes were next, all the wheels cylinders, brake hoses, brake shoes and master cylinder were replaced.and now work excellent"
No mention of tire size but did state that he had replaced. Original rims that he blasted and painted.

The guy is freezer burn compared to cool.

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
laplander

Wheels are such an individual kind of thing, that was why I was hesitating on using the turbines. I think they look cool, but I'm a dork from the 80's who still wears Vans and Chucks everyday. If I didnt have to buy new tires I wouldn't even think of putting the mags on to sell it, I just hate to put new wheels on stock rims if there is another option. Paul at Duncan and sons said he had a set of stockers I could buy, so that will probably be the route it goes. The four speed is really killing me, I'd love to have it in there and I think it would generate interest, I just don't know if it would cover the 800 or 1000 bucks I would have wrapped up in swapping it over.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
laplander

One other thing is the previous owner already put in a blazer tank, os whoever gets it when I throw the springs in and clean it up will be well on their way to a cool truck....
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
sanford66

If it will cost you $800.00-$1000.00 to convert it to the muncie, that won't earn any more on the resale. If you put the muncie in it you will have problems with shifter clearance with the stock bench seat that you have. I traded a buddy of mine a muncie M-21 out of a 69 Chevelle SS-396 for an 85 Firebird Formula. He put the M-21 in his 69 C-10 and had to put 80 Camaro buckets in it because the shifter wouldn't clear the seat. By the way the little details matter, clean up the wiring, replace the seat cover, etc. etc.. Trust me i have sold Corvette's, Camaro's, Chevelle's, and GM trucks of all generations and it's the little things buyers notice. They might not notice the slipping tranny, but they will spot the cigarette butt it the ashtray from a thousand feet!! Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Since this is a flip, I'd vote stock wheels and no on the muncie....keep it for a later project for yourself or sell it....

On the engine, I'm 50/50 on the chrome. Might be better if you just paint the stock air cleaner and spray the engine chevy orange....IMHO this would fit the look of the truck better....
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
laplander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Since this is a flip, I'd vote stock wheels and no on the muncie....keep it for a later project for yourself or sell it....

On the engine, I'm 50/50 on the chrome. Might be better if you just paint the stock air cleaner and spray the engine chevy orange....IMHO this would fit the look of the truck better....
The plan is if I can't sell it then I'll intsall the Classic Air system I have and make it my daily. The whole plan was to try and use all the remaining parts I had left on this thing. We're hoping to be moved to the Austin area by the end of the year and this will pay for the move, or it will be the DD. I got a deal on the Sandersons for 100 bucks new, the intake has been on my shelf for years and the carb was 200 brand new. I figure I'll redo some M/T valve covers and a shiny air cleaner and then clean and detail the compartments. Figure another 40 bucks in paint and the engine bay will look NICE and the engine should run a little better with that carb and intake on it.

The Muncie was what really concerned me. With paying a good chunk for it and then still having to buy the right shifter and then get the driveshaft cut down, I just didn't know if that was a money losing proposition or not. I'm trying to ge this thing done while we try and rush the kids 67 that is in the middle of a frame off. Nothing like doing crap faster than you want to. Ugh
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

The rest of the truck looks stock, so I would skip the crome and just clean and paint the parts that are there. The cost involved is just paint and time. The wheels, just find some decent used ones off CL since you want to keep the turbines... No reason to pay for new wheels and tires. As said before they are subject to one persons preference...

I think alot depends on the price at which you are asking.....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #18
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
The rest of the truck looks stock, so I would skip the crome and just clean and paint the parts that are there. The cost involved is just paint and time. The wheels, just find some decent used ones off CL since you want to keep the turbines... No reason to pay for new wheels and tires. As said before they are subject to one persons preference...

even with the deal you got on the parts...I don't know if they will make you any money...might actually cost you if you put them on as you will turn off someone looking for a stock truck....

If you want to do the intake and carb because it will run better...by all means do that...but I'd use the stock air cleaner and valve covers...

If you do later end up keeping it....and want the chrome and headers...add them then

Just like with flipping houses...throwing a lot of money won't necessarily mean you will get it back. It's about making it look as nice as possible for the least amount of $$$....the parts may have been cheap...but why not keep them for your next truck or sell them to generate more funds...

I'd focus on cleaning up and painting what you can...getting the wiring looking and working great....tune it up to run as good as possible, do the seatcover and a general clean up of the interior....and then see what kind of responses you get to the ad.....

Another thing I think really helps is if the frame is painted...don't just spray bomb and leave overspray....but if you can get it up on a lift or take the bed off...I'd clean up and paint the frame. That, with a clean engine bay, clean interior, and the nice original looking exterior would make for a desireable truck!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #19
laplander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

I've been scouring CL for a month trying to find a good used set of tires, but have come up empty. Discount tire has new BFG Radial TAs for 110 a piece, so with mounting and balancing I'm going to drop 500 easily. I even looked in our classifieds but I cant seem to catch a break there either. If the guy I bought it from didn't have to have these wheels back I would just sell it with those, but since I gotta replace them with something.........
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
prairewolf

I like stock or stock looking wheels, ... that is such a cool truck that it does not need any help from aftermarket wheels to look good or sell. jmo. ....and Everyone appreciates good Quality tires on any vehicle. .... so maybe sell the muncie seperately, buy new Michelins or the like black wall out on stock steelies, and put the radio back in. .....good luck with the sale,.. and again, Cool truck.

P.S. maybe someone could photoshop that side shot picture of your truck with stock steelies,caps and good tires.? ... it would be cool to see. ....... I do not know how to photoshop,chop.

Last edited by prairewolf; 08-08-2011 at 06:24 AM.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #21
cdowns

less than 10% return on whatever you add to the truck for resale/ me i'd b searchin craigslist for a decent set of used tires to put on stock rims// powerwasing and tidying up things as well as running condition maintence are the best return on investment
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
less than 10% return on whatever you add to the truck for resale
This is a hard lesson that many have learned. That's why guys usually take such a bath on really high HP motors when they are trying to sell them on the stand. You actually get more by pulling a motor apart and selling the HP parts by themselves. That truck is a diamond in the rough and buyers will see that regardless of the wheel in this case. If it was a "done" truck and completely painted, the wheels could mean everything at that point.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
MikeyMan

Personally, I like those Turbine wheels. I noticed they are 5 lug.

Wouldn't the 67 have 6 lug? Was it swapped for 5 lug?
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Don't do anything. I bet for everything you put on it and do to it, like previously said, you'll get 10% or less back of the total cost on your investment. You're adding so little basically it's not worth it. That truck will sell with or without the added items and you wont get much difference in $ if you added anything vs leaving it stock.

Personally I'd leave it stock, grab a set of cheap stealies and tires and toss them on. Make sure you aren't just looking at Criagslist for YOUR area. Expand out a bit because a1 hr or 2hr drive for rims/tires that cost $200 is still cheaper than forking out $500 to throw new rubbers on. Think smart when selling this truck. Keep anything that costs money and you may want to use later on, or possible sell it individually to get more $ back.

Good luck with the sell. Just clean it up a bit to get the most money, but at least same time don't spend a great deal of time on it. These trucks typically sell themselves due to their rarity.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
big_al_71

remember less is more....so I would just put some steelies lower it and let it go..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote